Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be open to living in a dry city or town or county in the United States?
Yes 20 33.90%
No 32 54.24%
Maybe 7 11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 01:56 PM

3,159 posts, read 2,209,438 times

Advertisements

Local availability of alcohol sales is not a priority for me personally, but typically good quality restaurants do not operate where such restrictions are in place. Alcohol sales generate a lot of revenue and I'd prefer that the location where I reside does not miss out. Can anyone identify a specific "dry" jurisdiction that is an especially desirable, high amenity place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 02:21 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Local availability of alcohol sales is not a priority for me personally, but typically good quality restaurants do not operate where such restrictions are in place. Alcohol sales generate a lot of revenue and I'd prefer that the location where I reside does not miss out. Can anyone identify a specific "dry" jurisdiction that is an especially desirable, high amenity place to live?
Bars/Microbreweries/Wineries tend to be crown pieces to a successful and well off city/town. I don't think a town can do quite well with none of those around, at least to any large extent. Smaller, quieter suburbs can do with being dry, but standalone cities will have a much, much harder time surviving with those kinds of restrictions/laws.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:16 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Nope, even though the suburb I live in is semi-dry already (extremely strict liquor laws; can't be sold past 10 pm which makes the idea of opening up a bar here pretty much impossible), and has a history of being anti-alcohol. Of course if you live in the metro of an even semi-large city, odds are you can just go one or two towns over to a non-dry town and stock up/drink there. But if we're talking a standalone city where you'd have to drive miles and miles just to get to a town with alcohol, hell no I would not live there. Not only because I do enjoy drinking, but also because I'm against those kinds of strict laws in general (including some areas that would surely spark a fiery debate with people). I see it as a way of taking away personal freedoms.

BTW when I first read the question, I also thought you meant dry as in not a humid climate, like Arizona. lol
haha sorry i confused you lol.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:20 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
If close to the county line then why not???? Even if Orange Beach, Alabama was still dry (hasn't been for a long time now), Florabama is still right there......

Old 06-01-2019, 05:54 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
We have dry counties in Tennessee. If you drink and live in one of them you can get alcohol by driving over a county line.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:54 PM

999 posts, read 553,520 times
Even though I don't drink and dislike alcohol culture as a whole, I still voted no. I like freedom. I wouldn't want to live and contribute to a local culture that felt it was okay to tell adult humans what they can do with their bodies.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:42 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
In theory I would be open to it. But I don't think there are any actual examples in reality that I would want to live in.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:54 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
I have my nightly beer, cocktail, or glass of wine with dinner. As in one a day. On the weekend, I might have two if I'm feeling frisky, at a party, or watching a game on TV. So while I'm not exactly centering my life around drinking, its moderate enjoyment is something I participate in. Excessive drinking hurts one's health. Moderate drinking does not.

To me, the entire notion of a dry county is absurd for a simple reason: It is one group of people using the power of government to ram their particular religious beliefs down the throats of others. So, in that sense, I wouldn't live in such a place not because of a lack of availability of alcohol. Instead, I wouldn't live there because it's allowed the bluenoses to tell everyone else how to live.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 06-02-2019 at 09:22 AM..

Old 06-02-2019, 11:01 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Oh HELL no!

Agree with the above.

Strict liquor laws usually go hand-in-hand with a politically strong and dominant religious group. Liquor is just the tip of the iceberg on how many other "morality" issues that they want to impose on other people.

And human nature being what it is, "morality" and hypocrisy also often go hand-in-hand. My Dry County experience in the Dallas area has been you can order a drink only as a member of a private club, but anyone can join the club for the price of a beer, and your first beer is free.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:19 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Oh HELL no!

Agree with the above.

Strict liquor laws usually go hand-in-hand with a politically strong and dominant religious group. Liquor is just the tip of the iceberg on how many other "morality" issues that they want to impose on other people.

And human nature being what it is, "morality" and hypocrisy also often go hand-in-hand. My Dry County experience in the Dallas area has been you can order a drink only as a member of a private club, but anyone can join the club for the price of a beer, and your first beer is free.
I live in DFW and know plenty of places to buy liquor, in Dallas and to its north. Based on the comments in the thread, I'm start to think maybe these places are illegally selling hard liquor, since everyone else in the thread seems to have trouble getting any around Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.