Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 09:18 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

1. Your county:
Jefferson County, NY

2. Are you pleased with your new home?
It could be way worse. I'm still in a heavily blue state. There is still a city with a real downtown. Idk anything about Watertown and I've never been, but looking Google Maps I could've ended up with way worse. It's much smaller than what I'd choose, but it's better than a county with no real city at all in the South somewhere. Also, being on the border with Canada is cool.

3. Where do you want to live within this county?
Watertown. Nowhere else.

4. What will you do for fun?
Not sure. Looks like I'd go boating in the St. Lawrence River off of Alexandria Bay. I'd visit Boldt Castle there as well. Visit the animals at Thompson Park Zoo. Oh and looks like there is a Thousand Islands Wine Trail! I'd definitely be participating in that and exploring the different wineries of the region. Looks like there is even a skiing area right in Watertown, but I'd be very close to a lot of great quality ski resorts being that far in Upstate NY.

5. Where nearby, if anywhere, will you go for trips or cultural activities?
The wineries. It's only an hour to Syracuse if I need more shopping and I could at least go to college sports games there. Ottawa is only 2 hours away and Montreal is only a 3 hour drive for long weekend trips so I'd probably be going to Canada for a lot of my more cultural activities and long weekend vacations/party trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 09:21 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
1.) Franklin County, Alabama

2.) I'd rather get rocketed off into space for all eternity than live anywhere in Alabama.

3,4,5.) Refer to #2.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:30 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times
1. Your county: Richmond, NC

2. Are you pleased with your new home? No. Honestly, I would be miserable living in a place like this. It's too small and rural and probably very religious and conservative.

3. Where do you want to live within this county? Looks like Rockingham is the biggest town in the county.

4. What will you do for fun? Netflix & Chill. Besides that it looks like Charlotte and Raleigh are close enough for easy trips and also the Carolina coast is close by. UwHarrie National Forest is close by so theres probably some hiking and lake/river activities

5. Where nearby, if anywhere, will you go for trips or cultural activities? Charlotte for the airport to go anywhere else. Charlotte and Raleigh for quick trips.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:55 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
1. Your county: Decatur County, TN

2. Are you pleased with your new home? Nope -- At first blush, it looked better than what some folks got so far. But I would not choose to live in that part of the country (humid, hot summer, cold winter, buggy, and too much like where I grew up) Reminds me of the Ozarks a bit. I could probably start cooking meth.

3. Where do you want to live within this county? Probably somewhere near Sugar Tree. It is close to the interstate for a quick get-away and the Kentucky Lake area for fishing.

4. What will you do for fun? Fishing -- The Tennessee River flows along the eastern border of the county and the tail end of Kentucky Lake is just a few miles north in a neighboring county. Might take up the banjo.

5. Where nearby, if anywhere, will you go for trips or cultural activities? Nashville is about 60m miles away on I-40 -- probably less than an hour.

I've been all through Tennessee but I don't think I have ever been in Decatur County or even on that stretch of I-40.

"In 2015, the Decatur County clerk of court and the entire staff of that office resigned, to express conscientious objection to the United States Supreme Court's ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges, which would oblige the office to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples." (Wikipedia)

Old 06-06-2019, 10:24 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
1. Your county: DeKalb County, IN

2. Are you pleased with your new home? Could be worse. I'm assuming rural Indiana is not very LGBT-friendly, though.

3. Where do you want to live within this county? The county seat of Auburn seems to be the only "real" incorporated city within this county. The town is right along I-69 (hehe). It has a Walmart, Home Depot, Kroger, and a slew of chain restaurants. It also has a cute Downtown area.

4. What will you do for fun? Looks like there's absolutely nothing to do for fun in this county.

5. Where nearby, if anywhere, will you go for trips or cultural activities? Fort Wayne is very close. South Bend, too.

Has anyone had an urban county yet?

Old 06-06-2019, 10:38 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
1. Your county: Middlesex, NJ

2. Are you pleased with your new home? Yeah, I'm happy with it. I lived there once before!

3. Where do you want to live within this county? New Brunswick, Highland Park, or Metuchen. I lived in Highland Park before, nice little town and you could walk across the river to downtown New Brunswick, which is nice.

4. What will you do for fun? Go to the theaters, bars, and restaurants in NB, take the train to NYC or Philly, go kayaking or cycling in the D&R Canal park

5. Where nearby, if anywhere, will you go for trips or cultural activities? NYC and Philly are nearby, and there are things to do in places like Princeton

I feel it's a bit "unfair" that I got a county I've really lived in before. So I spun again.

Take 2:

1. Your county: Morgan, WV

2. Are you pleased with your new home? Not especially, but I'll make the best of it.

3. Where do you want to live within this county? Maybe a cabin on a stream close to Berkeley Springs (looks like a cute town)

4. What will you do for fun? Hike, bike, there's probably some skiing nearby. Maybe go backpacking for a few days at a time.

5. Where nearby, if anywhere, will you go for trips or cultural activities? It's not terribly far from DC, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh, so I could take some trips there.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:37 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
LOL the only place that sounds even remotely decent to me is Middlesex, NJ

Old 06-06-2019, 01:39 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I keep trying for a good county but Random Generator hates me. OK, MO, AL, WI. All rural counties. I want to move with you.
LOL come on over!

Old 06-06-2019, 01:48 PM

142 posts, read 93,516 times
1. Your county: Emery County, UT

2. Are you pleased with your new home? According to Wikipedia the population density is 2 people per square mile, so I should have a lot of time for self-reflection and living with the land, so that could be a nice lifestyle.

3. Where do you want to live within this county? It looks like Green River is a desirable town here, as the setting for the movie Feivel Goes West, one of my favorite childhood movies.

4. What will you do for fun? Prep for the apocalypse, talk to road trippers stopping for gas at the last stop for 150 miles on I-70 and sit around a bonfire at night with my new friends from the coal mine and talk about how "we should take the 3 and a half hour drive up to Park City sometime."

I also plan to explore the 6 "ghost towns" listed on wikipedia within the County and round out the creepy destinations with a visit to Dark Canyon Wilderness Area and Goblin Valley State Park.

5. Where nearby, if anywhere, will you go for trips or cultural activities? Looks like Moab is about an hour away. I suppose someday we'll take the kids to Salt Lake so they can try a TGI Fridays.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:51 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
1. Your county:
2. Are you pleased with your new home?
3. Where do you want to live within this county?
4. What will you do for fun?
5. Where nearby, if anywhere, will you go for trips or cultural activities?

1. Meade. Kansas

2. Very. No town over 1,700, perfect for raising a family. Whole county 4,000

3. Not too close to the other house.

4' My kids, oys and girls, will all make tre traveling squuad 0n the HS football team'

5. The Dalton Gang Hideout is on the Natl List of historic places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.