Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 11:49 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I think LA is urbanizing a lot, but to someone who doesn't follow construction in LA probably wouldnt notice it.
LA City and cities all over the Metro are creating multi-level, mixed use buildings and complexes, with many centered around or near Metro stations or major bus routes. It is much easier to look at a Downtown and point out there see, tall buildings ... therefore must be urbanizing faster. But doing that on a massive scale 4 times the size of NYC's (5 boroughs) and youll understand why LA is urbanizing faster. I dont follow the other cities, so I dont know what they are doing.
Yeah, I follow development all across LA never really considered how it all adds up, but thinking about it now. LA is transforming massively on an incredible scale over the next decade we will start to see entirely new skylines that will highlight the decentralization of Urban development throughout Los Angeles..l

Downtown LA of course is experiencing a boom, Koreatown somehow has room and is booming, Hollywood same story, downtown Long Beach has an insane amount, Santa Monica, the Warner Center in the San Fernando valley. Heck even South LA is experiencing a boom Inglewood has a very bright future with the new stadium, and clippers arena. The project Will be the centerpiece of the Olympics 2028 the stadium ull so much so the Kronke put up $1.6 Billion of his own money. The Olympics will in 2028 will undoubtedly alter the landscape it won't be as dramatic as the transformations in Beijing partly because we actually USE and will continue to use all venues, but expect for LA as the face of America show the world again how an Olympics should be ran. In 1984 LA spend $550 million in 2008 Beijing spend $40 Billion. LA tax payers approved $160 Billon in transit infrastructure with 28 by 28 initiative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 01:27 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Metro Areas Heading in Opposite Directions

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/22/u...to-cities.html (just one source of many)

Change in average neighborhood density, 2010 to 2016.

-Metropolitan areas that became more dense -

Seattle -------- +3.0%
Chicago ------- +1.2%
Minneapolis --- +.08%
Washington --- +.07%
Boston --------- +.06%
New York -------+0.5%
Philadelphia ---- +0.5%
Charlotte ------- +.05%
Portland -------- +.04%
Hartford -------- +.03%

- Metropolitan areas that became less dense -

Raleigh ---------- -2.4%
Salt Lake City --- -2.8%
Dallas ----------- - 2.8%
Orlando --------- - 2.9%
Jacksonville, Fla. - 3.1%
Las Vegas -------- -3.2%
Houston --------- - 3.8%
Oklahoma City -- -4.1%
Austin ------------ -5.0%
San Antonio ----- -5.3%

Source: Source: Analysis of 2016 Census county population estimates and occupied housing unit data from the U.S. Postal Service
I'd like to know how that was measured, because Las Vegas is pretty much built out, due to mountains and government land surrounding the metro. The only way it could have gotten less dense was if the metro lost population

Old 06-14-2019, 03:14 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Yeah, I follow development all across LA never really considered how it all adds up, but thinking about it now. LA is transforming massively on an incredible scale over the next decade we will start to see entirely new skylines that will highlight the decentralization of Urban development throughout Los Angeles..l

Downtown LA of course is experiencing a boom, Koreatown somehow has room and is booming, Hollywood same story, downtown Long Beach has an insane amount, Santa Monica, the Warner Center in the San Fernando valley. Heck even South LA is experiencing a boom Inglewood has a very bright future with the new stadium, and clippers arena. The project Will be the centerpiece of the Olympics 2028 the stadium ull so much so the Kronke put up $1.6 Billion of his own money. The Olympics will in 2028 will undoubtedly alter the landscape it won't be as dramatic as the transformations in Beijing partly because we actually USE and will continue to use all venues, but expect for LA as the face of America show the world again how an Olympics should be ran. In 1984 LA spend $550 million in 2008 Beijing spend $40 Billion. LA tax payers approved $160 Billon in transit infrastructure with 28 by 28 initiative.
Oddly despite the urbanization, I dont know if LA is getting more dense or not. I mean in my semi-urban neighborhood growing up in Northeast LA, it used to be lots of immigrant families. 4-8 lowerincome people in a 3 bedroom house or 2 bedroom apartment. Multi-generational with a grandparent taking care of kids. But with the rapid gentrification and increased housing costs, the same housing is now taken over by a single/couple/roommates with no children. So much less people occupied for the same homes. Seems like all the new development are taken over by more affluent types who can afford to pay the rent alone or with someone else, but not a lot of people. Thus why I dont think LA is getting more dense except in places where lots of new apartments are built like Downtown, Koreatown, Hollywood. So LA's city's population of about 4 million might stay relatively flat despite all the new housing built. It will be interesting.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:26 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Austin for sure. just look at their skyline change since 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWOuKMLLH6w&t=9s
Wouldn’t call that urbanizing though.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:46 AM

209 posts, read 234,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I will agree that the urbanization in DC's metro area outside DC itself is meh. You got some faux "urban" tower developments going up in Fairfax County and that's about it.
It is meh from a design perspective, but i do think our region is the most connected multi-nodal region in the country anchored by metro.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:21 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
It is meh from a design perspective, but i do think our region is the most connected multi-nodal region in the country anchored by metro.
That still doesn't make it "urban". DC itself, can't urbanize because it's already supremely urban. I think MoCo is urbanizing, but the rest of the metro is just sprawling out.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:23 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
That still doesn't make it "urban". DC itself, can't urbanize because it's already supremely urban. I think MoCo is urbanizing, but the rest of the metro is just sprawling out.
That’s not true. A city can get more urban.

Like DC isn’t NYC or even Boston level urban yet.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:41 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That’s not true. A city can get more urban.

Like DC isn’t NYC or even Boston level urban yet.
I disagree. DC is definitely as urban as Boston, and arguably as urban as NYC, when you factor in all of Queens and Staten Island. I've argued this before, but I think there's a "peak urbanity", at which point a city can't get any more urban, it can only get more densely populated. I don't think a row-house neighborhood is less urban than a high-rise neighborhood.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:19 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I will agree that the urbanization in DC's metro area outside DC itself is meh. You got some faux "urban" tower developments going up in Fairfax County and that's about it.
Then you're not following it closely enough, if you think only a "few urban towers" in Fairfax County are going up. In the Eastern US the only metro doing as much construction/urbanizing outside of the central city as DC is Miami's metro area, hence why the two have grown 800k this decade. DC proper has grown about 90k.

Almost every Metro station in the Eastern part of the DMV has major development either going up or planned for it.

Silver Spring:

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...r_spring/12858

Pike and Rose:

Pike & Rose plans for more development in North Bethesda, MD

Pike & Rose

Bethesda:

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...p-demand-90505

New Carrollton:

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...elopment-98679

Largo:
https://experiencecarillon.com/

In Virginia:

Landmark Mall Alexandria:

https://alextimes.com/2019/04/landma...plan-advances/

Springfield, VA:

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...g-parking.html

Alexandria:

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...pening-in.html

The list goes on and on, this doesn't even cover all of the Purple Line station developments coming in Maryland and/or anything HQ2 related for Arlington which is obviously not in the District or Fairfax County.

Last edited by the resident09; 06-14-2019 at 09:43 AM..

Old 06-14-2019, 09:48 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Miami is not “urbanizing.” It’s dense and has shiny condos, but is doing nothing to be urban at street level outside of Brickell.
I think Wynwood and Downtown Miami / Edgewater has been seeing some improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.