Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 08:50 AM

1,097 posts, read 733,626 times

Advertisements

Currently in New Mexico where illegal immigration is quite rampant. There have been more than a handful of victims of crime/homicides here caused by illegals. My cousin, who is a police officer in the metro consistently encounters drivers without proper identification. Many get what's equivalent to a slap on the wrist.

I have a family. Safety is my top priority. We're planning a move in May and would like to find a place where laws are most respected and adhered to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 09:14 AM

21,455 posts, read 12,491,803 times
Probably Louisiana.
Lax/few laws. but ENFORCED. Most violent state in the country. Highest incarceration rate.

Definitely not Massachusetts.
Tons of frivolous laws. Everything is LIGHTLY ENFORCED. Most violent state in Northeast, fastest growing illegal immigration population. Top 5 drug abuse. Lowest incarceration rate in the country.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:38 AM

24,526 posts, read 18,054,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Definitely not Massachusetts.
Tons of frivolous laws. Everything is LIGHTLY ENFORCED. Most violent state in Northeast, fastest growing illegal immigration population. Top 5 drug abuse. Lowest incarceration rate in the country.

It depends on which laws. Massachusetts is among the lowest gun homicide rates in the country. Using a gun in a crime is an express ticket to jail. Getting caught with twigs & seeds isn't.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:59 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,376,911 times
In my experience, Ohio, Iowa, Nebraska.

I do know Arizona takes illegal immigration very seriously, so I'd throw AZ in too. Utah has some crazy laws like beers can only be below 4% ABV, but on the whole the laws didn't seem insanely enforced when I was there.

Last edited by CCrest182; 06-20-2019 at 08:07 PM..

Old 06-20-2019, 09:29 PM
Status: "Look right->My Blog Entries for my Top 200 USA MSA's" (set 8 days ago)

1,046 posts, read 960,266 times
My guesses on most strict police would be Virginia, Arkansas, Georgia, Oklahoma. Now you will have to determine if strictness=effectiveness. I would definitely add NYPD (effective) who have helped reduce crime rates across NYC over the years.

Somehow I feel like California police are strict (but downside is that there might be a lot of corruption in CA police forces). I have watched a lot of police videos, but otherwise these are total guesses!

Old 06-24-2019, 06:16 PM

50,106 posts, read 46,699,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It depends on which laws. Massachusetts is among the lowest gun homicide rates in the country. Using a gun in a crime is an express ticket to jail. Getting caught with twigs & seeds isn't.
Please tell us what State doesn't give out jail time if you use a gun in a crime?

Old 06-24-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
People get out of jail all the time in Mass. It has a revolving door I just read about a dude getting caught on his fourth gun charge since 2002. Never forget when Angelo West in Boston shot a cop in the face during a routine traffic atopin 2016. He was in another police shooting in 2001.

Despite Mass have one of the lowest gun homicide crimes it has some of the highest levels of aggravated assault in the country and an violent crime that is 40-50% higher than its peers NJ CT RI. Boston’s had 7 people shot in the past 36 hours. No arrests have been made. Boston is also the city with the lowest black homicide clearance rate in the country. People are given lots of wiggle room in MA in general. I believe it’s one of the weakest states when it comes to executing/treating for outstanding warrants, but I can’t remember where I saw this.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Please tell us what State doesn't give out jail time if you use a gun in a crime?
Thank you, and even still if I had to name a state it’s not Massachusetts. They don’t enforce their own state laws.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:08 AM

12,663 posts, read 21,819,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Lowest incarceration rate in the country.
There are a lot of factors that play into this. The big one is that MA emphasizes avoiding prison sentences for drug use and mental illness more so than most other states. Huge percentages of most states' incarceration figures are from people imprisoned for possession or for people arrested during an acute episode of mental illness. MA leads the nation in diversion programs to keep those cases out of jail. Just do a quick google for civil commitments and sections in MA. In many states, those cases are in jail.

I don't disagree that for a so-called "nanny state," MA doesn't enforce a lot of the frivolous laws on the books. But it's also pretty tough in other areas. It's one of the more difficult states for gun owners. Most of those gun laws are pretty strongly enforced on a regular basis. I get what GeoffD is saying - you don't have to fire a gun to be arrested. MA is so restrictive on who can have a gun and where they can have it, that simply having your legally owned firearm locked under your seat in the wrong spot can lead to an arrest and significantly more severe charges in an otherwise benign scenario. It's not really taking a bold stance to say MA is one of the toughest places to own/possess a firearm. And one of the problems with having frivolous laws on the books and not enforcing them is it opens the door for selective enforcement which makes it even easier to profile/target certain individuals or groups.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
"Massachusetts may have the lowest firearm death rate in the U.S., but gun violence is the leading cause of death for those in Massachusetts between 17 and 24 years old."

55% of all victims of firearm-related injuries are between the ages of 15 and 24, and black youths in the same age range had 32 times the rate of firearm assault-related hospitalizations compared to white youths.

Read more: Firearm violence targeted - Lowell Sun Online

I just thought these were very shocking stats. For any state. 32 times higher gun violence amongst young blacks in MA than whites? I woulda thought 8-12 times. Wow..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.