Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 06:32 PM

8 posts, read 5,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Sunnyvale CA has a 10% Indian population. So does Fremont. Santa Clara 9%. Those are the highest in CA for cities of any size. All have very high housing costs and few real young adults. If you are 25-34 and have a high paying job you might make it work.

There are plenty of places in CA with large hispanic populations but I am not aware of how to search by Spanish or South American. For Spanish I'd look in San Diego though the number that identify as Spanish is probably low. For South Americans, look in specific LA neighborhoods.

If you focus on things beyond these specific ethnicities, you might like Santa Rosa. Or Davis.
Thank you for this information! I am more Spanish/Brazilian, but it does seem like the Bay Area is a great option to find Indian populations.

I was looking at Calistoga (which is really small) since it was beautiful and found Santa Rosa on the wayside. Does it have a diverse young population in general? I'm really interested in it. I wish there were young cities in the Napa/Sonoma area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There are more on the east coast.

Do you have any recommendations? Maybe I should open up to the east coast even though my family is on the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 11:16 AM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Calistoga is 1/3rd hispanic but skews significantly older and more married than national average. Young adults are less common than average.

Napa is much younger than Calistoga. Rohnert Park even younger than Napa with above average population of 25-34 years olds.

You are generally not going to get above average quantities of 18-25 years olds except in college towns and big cities. 46% of Davis CA is 18-34. Average age of everybody is only 26. 22% asian, 15% hispanic, 10% other minorities and mixed racial background.

Santa Rosa similar in age profile to Napa. 30% hispanic, 5% asian, 5% other minorities. Only 0.3% (asian) Indian.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-25-2019 at 11:38 AM..

Old 06-25-2019, 11:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
How do you define international? Santa Ana has a young population, it is smallish (350,000 or so) and the population is mostly from Mexico and other countries in Latin or South America. Sunny. It has trees (Palm trees and Jacarandas mostly). What else did you want? lively? That depends on where you are. 4th street is usually lively. The art center can be lively. Quote a number of lively protests near the court houses and county building.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Calistoga is 1/3rd hispanic but skews significantly older and more married than national average. Young adults are less common than average.

Napa is much younger than Calistoga. Rohnert Park even younger than Napa with above average population of 25-34 years olds.

You are generally not going to get above average quantities of 18-25 years olds except in college towns and big cities. 46% of Davis CA is 18-34. Average age of everybody is only 26. 22% asian, 15% hispanic, 10% other minorities and mixed racial background.

Santa Rosa similar in age profile to Napa. 30% hispanic, 5% asian, 5% other minorities. Only 0.3% (asian) Indian.

Thanks NW Crow! You are so knowledgeable. Is there an app or website you are able to find this information?

I think that area of Northern California is more promising that I thought (I just assumed Napa and Sonoma wouldn't be worth looking because of the wealth/age group).

I always wished there was a town like Pasadena in Northern Cal, and I usually looked at Emeryville. But I will look into Santa Rosa/Ronhert/Sonoma/Napa.

Edit: I do have one more question if you don't mind. Are there any other kind of green, young areas in Soouthern Cal like Pasadena. I've heard of Irvine and I was wondering if there are any other cities I'm missing. I was under the impression that the OC would have some greenery because of the name but I think most of the groves, etc are gone.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
How do you define international? Santa Ana has a young population, it is smallish (350,000 or so) and the population is mostly from Mexico and other countries in Latin or South America. Sunny. It has trees (Palm trees and Jacarandas mostly). What else did you want? lively? That depends on where you are. 4th street is usually lively. The art center can be lively. Quote a number of lively protests near the court houses and county building.
That's great! Thanks for the detail! When I say lively, I mean has people, especially younger people, walking around in the evenings and weekends as opposed to smaller/quieter community or downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
There's plenty of small diverse towns spread throughout the country. Some in Texas and California. I'm not sure there's any that meat all of your criteria though.

Sorry to bother you again, but would be possible to get some suggestions? I would love to look up more cities I might be missing in either Texas or California

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There are more on the east coast.
Just a quick bump! I'm thinking about expanding my search to the east. Would it be possible to hear some suggestions? I would like to look into some examples on the east coast.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:00 PM

509 posts, read 433,467 times
Some college towns with large international student enrollments fit this criteria. Charlottesville, College Park, College Station, Ann Arbor, and Chapel Hill come to mind. Granted these are all east coast cities that I am more familiar with. I am sure there are ones out west (Eugene, Santa Cruz, and Boulder for example).

Old 06-26-2019, 12:19 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
I'm pretty sure San Luis Obispo, CA meets the criteria (it's a smallish college town between Monterey and LA)

Old 06-26-2019, 01:05 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,066 times
What about Santa Barbara or Santa Cruz?

Old 06-26-2019, 02:28 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyai321 View Post
That's not so bad.

I'm looking for Spanish (Spain), Brazilians/South American, and Indian (India) populations since that's my ethnic makeup, it's sort of everywhere.

And between 50,000-500,000 is right, because it's covers small cities and many towns. I'm just looking to move.

I'm suspecting that the towns I would gravitate toward are in Northern California. Like the outskirts of the bay area where the towns are less suburban but might have young people. (Palo Alto is way to suburban I think, but I that's what I felt on my last visit).
This is a difficult analysis since the Spain Spanish population in the US is relatively small, Brazilian is also small, and Indian is largely concentrated in very few areas. Especially challenging on the west coast.

I'd honestly suggest Newark, NJ if that's what you're truly looking for. The Ironbound neighborhood of Newark is extremely heavily Portuguese, Spanish, and Brazilian. Some of the best cuisines of those three countries can be found in the Ironbound. Other populations are moving into the neighborhood, especially those from territories/countries that speak Portuguese or Spanish. But almost everything in the Ironbound is catered towards the Portuguese, Spanish, and Brazilian cultures. Across the river in Harrison, there is also a large Brazilian/Portuguese community that has been there for a while. Recently, a lot of Indians have been moving in since it is the next stop on the PATH subway line from Jersey City. Jersey City has an extremely large concentration of Indians in the Journal Square neighborhood (also Jersey City Heights and downtown areas like Newport). As people are priced out of Journal Square, many of the Indians who would normally settle there are now living in Harrison.

But, being in Newark and Harrison, you're within the largest metro area in the country, so I wouldn't classify these as anything close to small cities. Unless, of course, you consider each of these on their own and having their own identity. The Ironbound has its own main street (Ferry St) and has its own festivals celebrating Iberian and Brazilian cultures. So while it's in the metro area, it does have some identity to its own creating something more of a smaller city. Then you'd have the Indian culture just 2 stops on the subway away in Jersey City's Journal Square neighborhood where basically every Indian holiday is celebrated and Indian restaurants and stores line Newark Avenue.

Portuguese and Brazilian are also known for living heavily in the Boston metro area. I believe around Fall River and New Bedford in Mass, the highest ancestries are Portuguese and Brazilian.

And lastly, as always, if you're looking for a heavily Latin-speaking population whether it be Spanish or Portuguese, always look in South Florida. Miami isn't the capital of Latin America for no reason. There are some chain restaurants from Spain that can be found in Miami (100 Montaditos) and Spanish and Portuguese are spoken throughout the region.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:40 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyai321 View Post
Thank you for this information! I am more Spanish/Brazilian, but it does seem like the Bay Area is a great option to find Indian populations.

I was looking at Calistoga (which is really small) since it was beautiful and found Santa Rosa on the wayside. Does it have a diverse young population in general? I'm really interested in it. I wish there were young cities in the Napa/Sonoma area.

Do you have any recommendations? Maybe I should open up to the east coast even though my family is on the west.
My criteria was at least 23% foreign born, no race makes up more than 65% of the population except for places where I say ‘Latino Only’. Total Population at least 25k

Most cities here are about 25-40% foreign born and range from 28k-281k people.

Everett MA **
Lowell MA
Malden MA **
Worcester MA
Cambridge MA **
Randolph MA
Somerville MA **
Lawrence MA* (Latino only)
Chelsea MA **(Latino only)
Quincy MA
Brockton MA
Framingham MA
New Bedford MA* (mainly Lusophone)

Providence RI
Pawtucket RI
Central Falls RI*

Stamford CT
Hartford CT *
East Hartford CT
Bridgeport CT*
Norwalk CT

New Rochelle NY
White Plain NY
Hempstead NY
Yonkers NY **

Paterson NJ
Clifton NJ
Perth Amboy NJ (Latino Only)
Woodbridge NJ
South Brunswick NJ
Woodbridge NJ
Newark NJ *, **
Jersey City NJ **
Hoboken NJ **
Edison NJ
Linden NJ
Rahway NJ
Bayonne NJ
West Windsor NJ (Asian only)
Union City NJ*, **(Latino Only)
Elizabeth NJ
New Brunswick NJ
Hackensack NJ

Hyattsville MD **
Silver Spring MD **

Alexandria VA
Woodbridge VA

*high crime/less desirable

**adjacent to major city, BOSTON, NYC, WASHINGTON DC

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 06-27-2019 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.