Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 08:22 AM

1,199 posts, read 724,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
CC and adjacent areas like South Philly, Fairmount, Fishtown, etc. are extremely liberal. The blue collar vibes of Philly come from areas like the Northeast, which actually vote quite Republican.
Those are gentrified areas with SJWs in them similar to NYC areas like Bushwick, the Yankee Stadium area, and Astoria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 09:18 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Which cities/areas are you thinking about & how are the people there as well as the quality of life?

I suppose.

Although the political concerns at the state level are not the same thing as quality of people in a certain type of city. It's not really a political question.

The 2nd was just wrong in the part that addressed the main question. It stated:

"Those who care about everyone care about everyone. Those who care about social safety nets, homelessness, access to jobs via transit for the poorest who can't afford cars, drug addiction, criminal justice reform, etc. are often the same people who are going to be voting for LGBT rights expansion and protection of undocumented immigrants."

Prime example being the type of far-left folks that vote one way, but don't seem to care about those same things (just that others seem to think they do), which is the exact opposite of what I was asking about.

The majority of the rest of the posts simply listed places (some which you wouldn't think of at first, so kudos), but then failed to follow up talking about the PEOPLE found there & the quality of life in general.

This isn't really a question you can answer with stats beyond the most basic level. It requires knowledge of the people in those places & the places themselves. Some people have made distinctions between areas, but it has been very surface level, which forces me to conclude:

1. I'm on to something, but others in the know don't want these places ruined by outsiders.
2. People can't get beyond stats & bias to ever think someplace like, say Detroit, is a place filled with wonderful people.
I think that people who were born in and live in integrated cities are generally people who walk the walk out of necessity. They may not like a particular neighbor, or may hold a non-correct opinion in general, but again they have to get along on a daily basis. People who choose to live there (by staying or moving in) can reinforce this cooperative atmosphere, provided they engage with the community and don't overwhelm it with rapid change.

Hot button issues can be very complex and difficult to put into action when there are real consequences (like schools - public or private, city or suburb). Classifying someone as "liberal" or "conservative" can be too much of a box, as (almost) no one fits fully into the stereotype. For example, in my lifetime, Catholics have swung in both directions, being "conservative" regarding things like abortion rights and birth control (in theory), but "liberal" in immigrant protection, capital punishment, and liberation theology. And of course, even the most conservative individual may make allowances for family differences or needs, and the most liberal individual may hold some personal bias that can extend to an entire group (side note my father loved and got along with everyone and his only bias was about "French-Canadians" of all things, so guess what I married?).

As I stated earlier, I believe that generally integrated places provide the most "liberal" atmosphere and opportunities. These areas can be found in most cities, but can dissipate quickly in many places once out of certain communities.

(I mean "integrated" in every way - race, religion, national origin, income, gender identity, abilities)

Old 07-06-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I think that people who were born in and live in integrated cities are generally people who walk the walk out of necessity. They may not like a particular neighbor, or may hold a non-correct opinion in general, but again they have to get along on a daily basis. People who choose to live there (by staying or moving in) can reinforce this cooperative atmosphere, provided they engage with the community and don't overwhelm it with rapid change.

Hot button issues can be very complex and difficult to put into action when there are real consequences (like schools - public or private, city or suburb). Classifying someone as "liberal" or "conservative" can be too much of a box, as (almost) no one fits fully into the stereotype. For example, in my lifetime, Catholics have swung in both directions, being "conservative" regarding things like abortion rights and birth control (in theory), but "liberal" in immigrant protection, capital punishment, and liberation theology. And of course, even the most conservative individual may make allowances for family differences or needs, and the most liberal individual may hold some personal bias that can extend to an entire group (side note my father loved and got along with everyone and his only bias was about "French-Canadians" of all things, so guess what I married?).

As I stated earlier, I believe that generally integrated places provide the most "liberal" atmosphere and opportunities. These areas can be found in most cities, but can dissipate quickly in many places once out of certain communities.

(I mean "integrated" in every way - race, religion, national origin, income, gender identity, abilities)
And there is no real integrated area like you describe in NYC, which is why it has so many limousine liberals. Even if a place is racially integrated it's going to be expensive af or have other problems. For example, my area mostly consists of Latino and Asian families yet I never see a gay flag and the train station is not accessible to wheelchairs.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:46 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
Berwyn, Illinois. Majority working to middle class Hispanic, but there is a large LGBTQ population as well.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:48 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
And there is no real integrated area like you describe in NYC, which is why it has so many limousine liberals. Even if a place is racially integrated it's going to be expensive af or have other problems. For example, my area mostly consists of Latino and Asian families yet I never see a gay flag and the train station is not accessible to wheelchairs.
I doubt that there are many thoroughly blended diverse areas around, mainly because there is such a great amount of diversity in this country, and not every group exists everywhere or has the same preferences.

I always find it interesting that people describe NY as not being integrated. New immigrants may self-segregate socially, but I also think it is offset as neighborhoods themselves are constantly in transition and usually never totally homogeneous. Workplaces, except at the immediate local level, also tend to have a diversity of employees. As for a personal level, I agree that typically unless your particular family intermarries (usually by 2nd generation or later) there is going to be some level of self-segregation occurring, initially socially and later by wealth differences.

I also think that if you look at a micro level these "segregated" areas have their own level of diversity. "Black" neighborhoods may include people from African American, Caribbean, Pacific, or varied African countries. "Hispanic" neighborhoods may include Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, and Central American people. I have family in the "Cuban" area of Hialeah, but it includes family members who are Italian, Polish, Mexican, Puerto Rican, and yes, Cuban. Even my "Polish" family includes Irish, German, Italian, Jewish, Indian, Scottish, French, and Korean family members. Neighborhoods can also be multi-generational, and many residents also may be caregivers to others who live in the community.

No one place will meet everyone's needs - but I guess that's the nature of your inquiry. FYI I am in the process of moving to an integrated but white majority neighborhood in Buffalo, which I would still describe as a liberal blue-collar city, although much less blue-collar than in past decades. My adjacent neighbors include black, white, PR, and mixed-race working families. Every person, neighborhood, or town has their own unique characteristics and culture, and everyone needs to find their own best match.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I doubt that there are many thoroughly blended diverse areas around, mainly because there is such a great amount of diversity in this country, and not every group exists everywhere or has the same preferences.

I always find it interesting that people describe NY as not being integrated. New immigrants may self-segregate socially, but I also think it is offset as neighborhoods themselves are constantly in transition and usually never totally homogeneous. Workplaces, except at the immediate local level, also tend to have a diversity of employees. As for a personal level, I agree that typically unless your particular family intermarries (usually by 2nd generation or later) there is going to be some level of self-segregation occurring, initially socially and later by wealth differences.

I also think that if you look at a micro level these "segregated" areas have their own level of diversity. "Black" neighborhoods may include people from African American, Caribbean, Pacific, or varied African countries. "Hispanic" neighborhoods may include Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, and Central American people. I have family in the "Cuban" area of Hialeah, but it includes family members who are Italian, Polish, Mexican, Puerto Rican, and yes, Cuban. Even my "Polish" family includes Irish, German, Italian, Jewish, Indian, Scottish, French, and Korean family members. Neighborhoods can also be multi-generational, and many residents also may be caregivers to others who live in the community.

No one place will meet everyone's needs - but I guess that's the nature of your inquiry. FYI I am in the process of moving to an integrated but white majority neighborhood in Buffalo, which I would still describe as a liberal blue-collar city, although much less blue-collar than in past decades. My adjacent neighbors include black, white, PR, and mixed-race working families. Every person, neighborhood, or town has their own unique characteristics and culture, and everyone needs to find their own best match.

I’m saying that in NYC specifically, the more poor and culturally diverse an area is the more homophobic it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.