Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 03:39 PM

8 posts, read 5,121 times

Advertisements

Small and young seem almost mutually exclusive. Small and international as well.

Are there any small, clean, green (flora), more sunny cities or towns that has a young (20-34), international population on the West Coast of the US?

The only place that even remotely comes to mind is Pasadena but I don't know how lively, young, or international it really is. I know these types of cities have a higher cost of living and thus tend to be taken over by people who are a bit older and have families, and that younger people tend be in big cities. It would be nice if there was sunny, mini-Vancouver (in that it's clean and green) on the west.

I'm not sure a town like this exists in the US. They seem unique to Europe and certain other parts of the world, like Brazil, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 03:51 PM

8,343 posts, read 5,498,098 times
The only cities I would consider international on the West Coast are LA, SF, and Seattle. I suppose a case could be made for San Diego, but I dont really consider it that international. Vancouver too but its in Canada.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:55 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Well, any college town. And probably Los Alamos, NM, but that's pretty far from the coast.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:00 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
There's plenty of small diverse towns spread throughout the country. Some in Texas and California. I'm not sure there's any that meat all of your criteria though.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The only cities I would consider international on the West Coast are LA, SF, and Seattle. I suppose a case could be made for San Diego, but I dont really consider it that international. Vancouver too but its in Canada.
That makes sense! Are there any popular suburbs of those cities like California, like Pasadena, that might fit the bill? I think Northern California might be more promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Well, any college town. And probably Los Alamos, NM, but that's pretty far from the coast.
True, I always think the population is too young in those towns. Are there any that you know of that might fit the bill?

It would be interesting to see if there are any in western Canada as well.

Last edited by reyai321; 06-24-2019 at 05:05 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
There's plenty of small diverse towns spread throughout the country. Some in Texas and California. I'm not sure there's any that meat all of your criteria though.
They're worth a shot since my knowledge is limited. Any leads that can I can look up?

Old 06-24-2019, 04:18 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Pasadena is 15% asian but I don't know how many are recent immigrants vs. born in America. It doesn't have many 18-24 year olds but 18% is 25-34.

Are you looking for Asian population? European? If Asian, look around LA or San Francisco. Or New York. If European, look back east.

Are you looking to go to college, immigrate or what?

What is "small" to you? 500,000 in population? 50,000? In-between?

If you want a "small Vancouver", look at suburbs of Vancouver https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmo...itish_Columbia or Victoria maybe. Or in Hawaii. Or Palo Alto.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-24-2019 at 04:28 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
It doesn't have many 18-24 year olds but 18% is 25-34.
That's not so bad.

I'm looking for Spanish (Spain), Brazilians/South American, and Indian (India) populations since that's my ethnic makeup, it's sort of everywhere.

And between 50,000-500,000 is right, because it's covers small cities and many towns. I'm just looking to move.

I'm suspecting that the towns I would gravitate toward are in Northern California. Like the outskirts of the bay area where the towns are less suburban but might have young people. (Palo Alto is way to suburban I think, but I that's what I felt on my last visit).

Old 06-24-2019, 05:28 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Sunnyvale CA has a 10% Indian population. So does Fremont. Santa Clara 9%. Those are the highest in CA for cities of any size. All have very high housing costs and few real young adults. If you are 25-34 and have a high paying job you might make it work.

There are plenty of places in CA with large hispanic populations but I am not aware of how to search by Spanish or South American. For Spanish I'd look in San Diego though the number that identify as Spanish is probably low. For South Americans, look in specific LA neighborhoods.

If you focus on things beyond these specific ethnicities, you might like Santa Rosa. Or Davis.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-24-2019 at 05:46 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 06:22 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
There are more on the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.