Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 10:33 PM

716 posts, read 1,233,769 times

Advertisements

I'm asking which cities have the least culture of wasting money, meaning you don't feel pressured to spend cus everyone else is or isnt, or to keep up with the jones's, etc...basically being ceap in a good way...and which have the most culture of wasting/keeping up with jones's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 01:04 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,754,706 times
Newark, NJ

Old 07-06-2019, 01:33 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,384,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
I'm asking which cities have the least culture of wasting money, meaning you don't feel pressured to spend cus everyone else is or isnt, or to keep up with the jones's, etc...basically being ceap in a good way...and which have the most culture of wasting/keeping up with jones's?
Pretty much most cities outside of NYC, LA, Miami, and Vegas.

Last edited by CCrest182; 07-06-2019 at 01:45 AM..

Old 07-06-2019, 01:59 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,754,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Pretty much most cities outside of NYC, LA, Miami, and Vegas.

I disagree its that limited, most people waste money big time. Especially in sunbelt cities (retirees and tech ). Thats why they build so many luxury condos there, it goes hand in hand with wasting money. Least waste is probably in old northeastern & appalachian areas. Depending on definition of waste, which is not so easy to determine. but I'm guessing you mean luxury sales.

Last edited by _Buster; 07-06-2019 at 02:08 AM..

Old 07-06-2019, 02:12 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,384,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I disagree its that limited, most people waste money big time. Especially in sunbelt cities (retirees and tech ). Thats why they build so many luxury condos there, it goes hand in hand with wasting money. Least waste is probably in old northeastern & appalachian areas. Depending on definition of waste, which is not so easy to determine. but I'm guessing you mean luxury sales.
Idk, I just see those four cities being the biggest "go there and spend spend spend" cities in the U.S. I would agree though much of the northeast, as well as some parts of the Midwest are most likely the most conservative when it comes to freely spending money.

In terms of "spending culture", I can't think of other cities in the U.S. that fit that description other than the ones I listed. Atlanta has a big of a "get rich and spend" culture, but that's more of a "wannabe" culture.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:53 AM

3,554 posts, read 3,041,834 times
I think if you look for these things you can find your nirvana all over the US:
- not an "exurb" or new suburb
- existing city or older suburban areas not undergoing gentrification
- neighborhood value approximates the median of the local area, or below the median in fast growing cities
- neighborhood consists overwhelmingly of long-term residents
- neighborhood with few or no high-end autos and trucks in their driveways (Mercedes, BMW, loaded pickups, etc)

Old 07-06-2019, 09:23 AM

341 posts, read 283,127 times
Cities with lots of elderly people or destitute 3rd world immigrants in them.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:07 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,469,133 times
Judging by most of what I've seen on so many C-D threads (and a few on this one), this thread's going to be hilarious, lol. Using money wisely and the average American citizens don't usually go hand in hand. American consumer debt stats back me up. **getting my popcorn and watching**

Old 07-06-2019, 01:22 PM

3,554 posts, read 3,041,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
Cities with lots of elderly people or destitute 3rd world immigrants in them.
In my experience immigrants tend to be the most ambitious and productive people around. I grew up with/around first and second generation immigrants and we always saw other Americans as lazy and wasteful who did not appreciate the opportunities in front of them. They don't need to be Third World.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:27 PM

341 posts, read 283,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
In my experience immigrants tend to be the most ambitious and productive people around. I grew up with/around first and second generation immigrants and we always saw other Americans as lazy and wasteful who did not appreciate the opportunities in front of them. They don't need to be Third World.
That makes sense but ambitious and frugal are two different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.