Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 08:37 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,016 times

Advertisements

I just came back from NYC where I spent 5 days exploring the city, and I have returned exhausted and burnt out. I love that city, but good lord is it overwhelming and exhausting.

Curious to hear what are some cities in the US that you find overwhelming and in what way?

For me:

1. NYC - Too many people everywhere at all times of day and just so much going on all the time. Too much to see, to much to do, too many restaurants and shops everywhere, it's just too much sometimes.

2. LA - A different type of overwhelming in regards to how sprawled it is. The amount of driving it takes to get everywhere and the traffic made me a bit overwhelmed. Having to drive everywhere and long distances can get exhausting. Certain parts like Hollywood can be overwhelming with the amount of people (most tourists) there all the time.

3. Chicago (where I currently live) - I would say this is a big drop from the previous two, but Chicago's downtown in the summer can be overwhelming, people everywhere constantly. I would also say O'Hare is one of the most overwhelming airports to be at as well. Outside of downtown in the summer and O'Hare, the rest of the city is not overwhelming at all IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 08:45 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I just came back from NYC where I spent 5 days exploring the city, and I have returned exhausted and burnt out. I love that city, but good lord is it overwhelming and exhausting.

Curious to hear what are some cities in the US that you find overwhelming and in what way?

For me:

1. NYC - Too many people everywhere at all times of day and just so much going on all the time. Too much to see, to much to do, too many restaurants and shops everywhere, it's just too much sometimes.

2. LA - A different type of overwhelming in regards to how sprawled it is. The amount of driving it takes to get everywhere and the traffic made me a bit overwhelmed. Having to drive everywhere and long distances can get exhausting. Certain parts like Hollywood can be overwhelming with the amount of people (most tourists) there all the time.

3. Chicago (where I currently live) - I would say this is a big drop from the previous two, but Chicago's downtown in the summer can be overwhelming, people everywhere constantly. I would also say O'Hare is one of the most overwhelming airports to be at as well. Outside of downtown in the summer and O'Hare, the rest of the city is not overwhelming at all IMO.
I agree with you about NYC. I enjoy visiting, I really do. But I'd lose my mind if I had to live there. People on top of people and continuous movement pretty much 24/7. Not relaxing at all. Other cities might have its own level of being overwhelming, but NYC is in a league of its own.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:57 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
I really enjoy leaving NYC.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I really enjoy leaving NYC.
Believe it or not, I went to LaGuardia 5 hours before my flight, because I needed some down time (already had checked out). I preferred to hang out in LaGuardia for an extra three hours just to escape the city craziness. Joke was on me, my flight was then delayed 3 hours, so I spend altogether like 8 hours there. Thank God this was during the time of the renovated part of LaGuardia where its at least a nicer place to hang out now.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:11 AM

12,838 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Interesting thread topic. In the U.S., there's only one for me and it's Los Angeles.

It's absolutely sprawling and spread out. It's the only place I've been where the idea alone of having to go 10 miles is exhausting. Hopefully someday the transportation network will meet the needs of the area. But until that point, it's honestly a place I avoid like the plague even though there's so much I actually do like about it.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Interesting thread topic. In the U.S., there's only one for me and it's Los Angeles.

It's absolutely sprawling and spread out. It's the only place I've been where the idea alone of having to go 10 miles is exhausting. Hopefully someday the transportation network will meet the needs of the area. But until that point, it's honestly a place I avoid like the plague even though there's so much I actually do like about it.
I was staying in Venice Beach, and my friend and I for whatever reason, had to go to Target a few times while we were there. Target was always a 30-40 minute drive from where we were. We remember how we had to really plan out our visits there, as it would take SO much time to get anywhere.

This coming from Chicago where we are used to having a Target at most 10 minutes away in regards to driving in most parts of the city. Heck, I live 6 blocks from a Target, and then the next closest one is 5-10 minute drive, and the next closest one after that is just under 10 minute drive as well.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:42 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

So true. I remember my LA host announcing that we were attending a party in (fill in the LA suburb).
I replied, "Isn't that pretty far away?"
He replied, "Nah, just about 1 hour, forty minutes."

Forget NYC; LA is the city that never sleeps. They're too busy driving.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:03 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
NYC can get tiring when dealing with anything Manhattan related during peak hours/weekend because it feels like controlled-mass pandemonium. Like others have said, I love visiting, but living there... I'd take a hard pass

L.A. & DC can be serious pains because you know you're going to be stuck at some point in horrific traffic, in the case of the former everything is 30 minutes away from wherever you are which gets really annoying

Chicago for me felt uber relaxing even though its a massive city it just feels right, idk maybe it's just that laid back mid-west vibe

That being said, I've lived 45 minutes outside of Tokyo now for the last 2 1/2 years... the first weeks of adjusting to that city is something I'll never forget

Old 07-09-2019, 10:32 AM

207 posts, read 213,837 times
Quote:
I would also say O'Hare is one of the most overwhelming airports to be at as well.
Because of its size? As large as O'Hare is, I think it's super easy to navigate. O'Hare is one of my favorite airports to fly in and out of.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:38 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
NYC and Chicago are the only two cities that have really done this to me... All others to me are maintainable... These are just two beast in my opinion and it will have you feeling it if you have spent a good bit of time there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.