Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 06:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Usually a reputation has to do with wats different. It’s not that all of Seattle is Texh Bro Central it’s jusr that St Louis or Dallas doesn’t have any neighborhoods like that.

It’s not that all of Philadelphia is historically notable but Center City has things most other cities do not.

It’s not that other cities don’t have abandoned/depopulated neighborhoods but Detroit just has more.

It’s not that everyone in LA is plastic just more than your typical city.

It’s generally a couple exaggerated traits of a city that is its reputation.
This is a fair comment. I agree, we tend to exaggerate certain traits but the reality is often different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 06:29 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm in one of those places. A mid-sized Southern city that has, over the course of 40 years, gone from heavy industrial to healthcare, banking, and a host of other white collar and creative professions. Over the past few years, we've gotten on the map as a foodie destination, et al. But people still base their opinion on something that happened 55 years ago in the Civil Rights Era. You know. When I was two years old.
Exactly! False or exaggerated stereotypes rule many people's opinions about so many things.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:05 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Exactly! False or exaggerated stereotypes rule many people's opinions about so many things.
I also think TV/movies, social media and contributes to it too. Agree or disagree?

Old 07-20-2019, 10:22 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I also think TV/movies, social media and contributes to it too. Agree or disagree?
I absolutely agree. I see you live in Cleveland. If I went by the things you mention to form my opinion of Cleveland, I wouldn't have a good view of the city/area. But I've been there many times, especially when I lived in Columbus at one time. I love the area and its people. It has a lot to offer and find it a good, livable area. Yes, it's going through a rough time right now in some ways. But I do think it's on an upswing. So, yes, old stereotypes, tv/movies, social media, and personal biases one may have contribute to this for sure.

Last edited by march2; 07-20-2019 at 10:31 AM..

Old 07-20-2019, 08:14 PM

113 posts, read 103,774 times
I just had to say this after reading a few of the posts on here, people use this site to gain information on the cities they are looking into. And has it crossed any of your minds that maybe people can't afford to save money to move with and go and see the city first? Especially with cost of living always going up every year! I use this site and I do my own research, and other people can be doing that too!

Old 07-20-2019, 08:30 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times
We all judge, no matter how much 'research' we think we've done. It's human nature to judge. You're judging my comment right now.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:40 PM

Yes, I am. And I judge your comment to be judged again. See the post below mine...

Old 07-20-2019, 09:51 PM

And that post will be mine...because I just ran across a post in the City vs. City forum that said Salt Lake City is one of the most conservative cities in the U.S. Which runs right into this perception problem. Salt Lake City, while not a liberal stronghold is quite a bit more liberal than the area around it, that being the SLC metro area. The perception is because the Mormon Church is HQ'rd there, the city must be conservative. Not even close to the truth.

https://utahpolicy.com/index.php/fea...nservative-red

Last edited by pnwguy2; 07-20-2019 at 10:01 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 07:38 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
And that post will be mine...because I just ran across a post in the City vs. City forum that said Salt Lake City is one of the most conservative cities in the U.S. Which runs right into this perception problem. Salt Lake City, while not a liberal stronghold is quite a bit more liberal than the area around it, that being the SLC metro area. The perception is because the Mormon Church is HQ'rd there, the city must be conservative. Not even close to the truth.

https://utahpolicy.com/index.php/fea...nservative-red
Even the entire metro area is becoming less and less conservative as new people move in to the area. Now Provo-Orem, on the other hand... You don't get much more conservative than that. Salt Lake City has not had a Republican mayor since the 1970s, and the current mayor is a Democrate, lesbian woman, married with children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.