Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 03:10 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/green...nental-us.html

I saw that a couple months ago. Maybe if indeed Wichita gets one, Greensboro can be soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 07:28 PM

532 posts, read 821,646 times
On a recent road trip that took me through Atlanta, Charlotte, and the Durham-Chapel Hill area, I noticed that every Trader Joe's I saw was within a block or two of Whole Foods. The one in Little Rock will also be just down the street from Whole Foods. Is that their strategy everywhere, to have their stores close to Whole Foods?

Old 07-25-2019, 08:49 PM

830 posts, read 1,018,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
On a recent road trip that took me through Atlanta, Charlotte, and the Durham-Chapel Hill area, I noticed that every Trader Joe's I saw was within a block or two of Whole Foods. The one in Little Rock will also be just down the street from Whole Foods. Is that their strategy everywhere, to have their stores close to Whole Foods?
Economies of scale. Also, why spend big bucks on expensive market research when your competition can do all the homework for you and you reap the benefit! Works for fast food!

Old 07-26-2019, 07:55 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
In my experience, they both do this. Hoboken has a TJ and WF is moving in across the street. I'm not positive, but I believe the Louisville TJ was there before the WF. The Lexington KY WF is opening up 2 miles south on basically the busiest thoroughfare in the city. There is also an Aldi between the two, which is TJ-affiliated. The WF in Playa Vista (Los Angeles) is just on the other side of a neighborhood that's long had a TJ (Westchester).

And these are just areas I'm so familiar with that I'd know which came first, so I'm sure this is repeated nationwide by both sides and we just aren't all familiar enough with knowing which came first.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:24 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Boston has plenty of them, and one of them ( Brookline) is a virtual cash cow...

Old 07-26-2019, 10:00 AM

12,831 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Does anyone know why Trader Joes is so finicky to expand more?
I believe it's distribution/production related. Unlike many grocery chains, the TJ's model places a much heavier emphasis on its own store brands. While most of what TJ's sells wears a TJ's label, most of it is produced by contractors. So their network is pretty complex relative to the average grocery chain and expanding rapidly would literally be putting the cart before the horse. They can't keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.