Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 03:51 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, you are likely familiar with the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, some of the nearby state parks, etc. What is nice is that you also have decent sized metros to the east and west within an hour or so, let alone Toronto/the Golden Horseshoe, as they call it. So, it isn't as isolated as some may think, but you can get to nature quickly as well.
Yeah I’m a little familiar with some of that. I also seem to remember a fair amount of little festivals and such.

Winter is gonna be the hard part, I think, and settling in, finding a higher income. I don’t know yet if I’ll have any culture shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 05:01 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Yeah, what is defined as "Upstate" can get very tricky and depends on who you ask. Some would go by your friend's definition and some would say north of Dutchess and Orange counties. Some would include those latter 2 counties as well. So, it can get messy. lol
Anything North of the Bronx is Upstate

Old 08-06-2019, 05:17 PM

93,263 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Now you know better...Westchester and Rockland have long been in the NYC metro area for a long time.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Yeah I’m a little familiar with some of that. I also seem to remember a fair amount of little festivals and such.

Winter is gonna be the hard part, I think, and settling in, finding a higher income. I don’t know yet if I’ll have any culture shock.
Yes, there are plenty of festivals in the area: https://rocwiki.org/Festivals

As for winter, stay active and find some things that would interest you.

As for employment, this could help: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...enings-80.html

Finger Lakes Jobs

Old 08-06-2019, 05:28 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Ignorant garbage. Absolute stupidity.

If your home county borders Jersey or Connecticut, you are downstate.

Last edited by CookieSkoon; 08-06-2019 at 05:56 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 06:02 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Basically...Even within Upstate, it can vary, as you'll have counties that have a range of environments from very urban to very rural in the same county. So, even within a county, metro or region, things can change in that regard too. An example of this and this is all on the same route:

It is still Northeastern, but it isn't stereotypically Northeastern(i.e.- the Bos-Wash corridor).

Exactly! It's the *inland* Northeast. More akin to Western MA, most of NH, inland ME, VT and central and western PA. Many people not from that part of the country think the only "Northeast" is the Bos-Wash corridor.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:09 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Ignorant garbage. Absolute stupidity.

If your home county borders Jersey or Connecticut, you are downstate.
Interesting! So you are talking about Ulster, Orange, Rockland, Westchester and Dutchess counties. Is this just your opinion or is this widely accepted by those who live in or have roots in those counties?

Old 08-06-2019, 06:15 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Interesting! So you are talking about Ulster, Orange, Rockland, Westchester and Dutchess counties. Is this just your opinion or is this widely accepted by those who live in or have roots in those counties?
I can tell you it is widely accepted in areas north and west of them. Not sure about IN them, but I have to imagine some would see the reason in the argument.

They are all within fair driving or rail of NYC, and part of that "tri-state" identity.

Once you hit parts of NY neighboring western Mass or northern PA, the whole vibe changes.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:49 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Now you know better...Westchester and Rockland have long been in the NYC metro area for a long time.
I live on LI about as South in NY as you can get (literally on the water)

So yes, to me, Westchester & Rockland are upstate & many other LIers consider it so.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I live on LI about as South in NY as you can get (literally on the water)

So yes, to me, Westchester & Rockland are upstate & many other LIers consider it so.
I get what you are saying, but are we really going to say that Mount Vernon, Yonkers and New Rochelle are Upstate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.