Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 08:16 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I was under the impression race was a factor in the divide that Louisville has with the state, that perceptions were that Louisville was more black than the rest of the state

I think this shows up in the Kentucky-Louisville sports rivalry and how the two schools are culturally far apart
It's a major part of it, but not the only one. There are several factors that cause KY to hate Louisville. Race, religion, and the large LGBT population are parts of it no doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 02:01 PM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I definitely don't think downstate needs upstate nearly as much as the other way around. NYC, Long Island, and the Hudson would be just fine without the rest of the state. Upstate without NYC metro would basically be a cold version of Alabama or Mississippi.

Coming from a Long Island family, Upstate is basically an after-thought unless you want an occasional Adirondack getaway or to go skiing a few times a year.
I doubt it. It would be more similar to a mixture of Vermont and PA. Whats killing upstate is all the regulations that are imposed by NYC, but get applied statewide.
Both areas would benefit if they separated.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:33 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I doubt it. It would be more similar to a mixture of Vermont and PA. Whats killing upstate is all the regulations that are imposed by NYC, but get applied statewide.
Both areas would benefit if they separated.
I disagree...What the state needs to do is like they have different laws for driver's licenses, they can have the same in regards to certain regulations.

I also think that Upstate municipalities need to look at more consolidation of services, including school districting, as school taxes make up the biggest portion of property taxes in the state.

With that said, there has been recent development and job growth even in Upstate in recent years. so, a part of this is just having some plain investment in that portion of the state.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:57 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I disagree...What the state needs to do is like they have different laws for driver's licenses, they can have the same in regards to certain regulations.

I also think that Upstate municipalities need to look at more consolidation of services, including school districting, as school taxes make up the biggest portion of property taxes in the state.

With that said, there has been recent development and job growth even in Upstate in recent years. so, a part of this is just having some plain investment in that portion of the state.
I genuinely don't know so I'm not asking this as an insult to Upstate at all. Has recent development in Upstate been sponsored by a use of state taxes? It's no secret that most of the state taxes would be coming from Downstate. I'm just asking out of curiosity, but also to slightly support the idea that Upstate needs Downstate right now. That said, even if Upstate needs Downstate right now for its tax dollars to invest in the Upstate local economy, Downstate would inevitably benefit from such investment as well if Upstate could ever even come close to reliving its glory days. It's one shared pool of money for the entire state, and Upstate has tons to offer if it can get jobs back. Then the state would be less reliant on Downstate's taxes and the entire state would benefit.

On the same note, I think that's why a state like KY will never prosper to its full potential. Louisville has great potential to be a fantastic, progressive, educated, diverse, affordable mid-size metro. The taxes raised in Louisville by these "others" (minorities, immigrants/refugees, liberal elites) could be used to benefit the entire state of KY. However, KY state government goes out of its way to stifle any success Louisville could have at attracting the wealth and investment needed to make it prosper.

OTOH, correct me if I'm wrong, a state like GA has done pretty well and selling Atlanta and bolstering its economy so that it can carry the entire state of GA. I mean...until recently with the stupid anti-abortion laws. But overall, GA doesn't seem to go out of its way to stifle Atlanta's potential just to appease the rural, conservative, religious voters outside the major city the way KY does.

Similarly, NYS knows that NYC is its cash cow.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:15 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I genuinely don't know so I'm not asking this as an insult to Upstate at all. Has recent development in Upstate been sponsored by a use of state taxes? It's no secret that most of the state taxes would be coming from Downstate. I'm just asking out of curiosity, but also to slightly support the idea that Upstate needs Downstate right now. That said, even if Upstate needs Downstate right now for its tax dollars to invest in the Upstate local economy, Downstate would inevitably benefit from such investment as well if Upstate could ever even come close to reliving its glory days. It's one shared pool of money for the entire state, and Upstate has tons to offer if it can get jobs back. Then the state would be less reliant on Downstate's taxes and the entire state would benefit.

On the same note, I think that's why a state like KY will never prosper to its full potential. Louisville has great potential to be a fantastic, progressive, educated, diverse, affordable mid-size metro. The taxes raised in Louisville by these "others" (minorities, immigrants/refugees, liberal elites) could be used to benefit the entire state of KY. However, KY state government goes out of its way to stifle any success Louisville could have at attracting the wealth and investment needed to make it prosper.

OTOH, correct me if I'm wrong, a state like GA has done pretty well and selling Atlanta and bolstering its economy so that it can carry the entire state of GA. I mean...until recently with the stupid anti-abortion laws. But overall, GA doesn't seem to go out of its way to stifle Atlanta's potential just to appease the rural, conservative, religious voters outside the major city the way KY does.

What you mention is true just due to the simple fact of population distribution and Downstate is centered around the arguably the most important city in the world. However, as mentioned in a previous post, there are things that Upstate provides to Downstate by way of water, agriculture and tourism opportunities, among other things.

I agree that if the state continues to invest in Upstate areas, it makes the state more diverse in terms of communities it offers, but at a higher level. I think if the stigma about Upstate or the development gains more traction in terms of interest, I’d think more people would consider it as an option.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:17 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,301 times
Quote:
This is one of those “I know what I know but don’t know why know it” thing offered up by Bill Maher...

I know that living in a state that it shares with New York City creates experiences unlike any other one big city dominates a state like NYS dominates its staso that means in states that have one major city/metro area and it is the 800 pound elephant in the room

What could a NY stater (upstate.. not NYC etro) tell people in similiar situation like those listed below that would be along the lines of “sure, I know it is cute for IL to have to live with Chicago, but, honey, you have no idea what it is like to live with NYC

I am talking about places with these tpyes of relationship..

MA, BOS
MD, BAL,
GA, ATL
LA, NO
MI, DEY
IL, CHI
CO, DEN
WA, SEA
HI, HON
Dumb laws & high taxes

Old 07-30-2019, 02:33 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,823,263 times
I'm going out on a limb on this one, but I suspect only in the Empire State/Empire City could you find a state named after one of its cities rather than a city named for its state. The chicken/egg that came first was the city of New York, not the state of New York.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:57 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
I'm going out on a limb on this one, but I suspect only in the Empire State/Empire City could you find a state named after one of its cities rather than a city named for its state. The chicken/egg that came first was the city of New York, not the state of New York.
Actually, New York is named after Prince James, younger brother of King Charles II. James was Duke of York in England and the Duke of Albany in Scotland. James later became King himself when Charles died.

Interestingly, much of Downstate New York was called Yorkshire during the mid-1600s. The area was even divided into three ridings just like Yorkshire in England was. But the name Yorkshire was lost after the Dutch briefly recaptured New York during the Third Dutch war and today city and state are both confusingly called New York.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_S...ce_of_New_York)

Old 07-30-2019, 09:11 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

True but CK is right, there is an economy outside the city. And since there is at least 10 million New Yorkers outside New York City and the State gets a good part of its income from income taxes, its not like New York could not exist with the City.

Just for instance, the Erie Canal, one of the main reasons that New York City grew so rapidly in the 1800s into the number 1 spot. But it was the State of New York that built the Erie Canal and still operates it to this very day as part of the New York Canal System.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...e_Canal_System

Old 07-31-2019, 06:03 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,823,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
True but CK is right, there is an economy outside the city. And since there is at least 10 million New Yorkers outside New York City and the State gets a good part of its income from income taxes, its not like New York could not exist with the City.

Just for instance, the Erie Canal, one of the main reasons that New York City grew so rapidly in the 1800s into the number 1 spot. But it was the State of New York that built the Erie Canal and still operates it to this very day as part of the New York Canal System.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...e_Canal_System
I’d move up your Erie Canal ranking observation to “the Erie canal was the most important that NYC grew so rapidly in the 1800s. New York created for itself what its two main rivals couldn’t offer: access to the burgeonung markets in the west. The Erie Canal is the real reason for NYC’s ascendency to the top

And it wasn’t just Philly and Boston that were the big losers with a he construction of the Erie Canal. New Orleans was a big loser as well because without he canal, goods could not have gotten from the transappalachin west to the northeast seaboard. Instead everything would have had to go through the portvof New Orleans

New York was the biggest winner of all. Another winner: Chicago which was pretty much the New York chosen locale for the Great Lakes, Erie Canal, Hudson, Mohawk, Atlantic route
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.