Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 11:02 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Downtown San Jose: Axis, 360 Residences, 188 W. St. James and One South Market towers. Very attractive and unique
Really? There are literally dozens of buildings like that going up in Chicago alone. I think those are examples of overused styles around the country right now, they're everywhere and fairly bland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 01:36 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
For single family home architecture, LA has always been a leader since the early 20th century. There is a huge diversity of styles, and LA has been a trendsetter for decades. There are a lot of houses in LA built in the late 40's- late 50's that are in the style of homes most of the rest of the country wasn't building until the late sixties to mid-70's. With internet and home improvement TV shows, trends spread to the rest of the country much more quickly, but with the wealth in LA tearing down older homes and designing/building new homes in established neighborhoods, there is still a lot of trendsetting going on. Only now it spreads to the rest of the country in a year or two instead of a decade or two. I'm not claiming that all of the LA architecture trends are good, but some are and LA is a leader in this area.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:59 AM

178 posts, read 509,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
Oklahoma City has several areas of modern residential architecture.
Wow, would not have guessed that of OKC.

Not to be critical, as I certainly like the style more than some of the alternatives, but I think the straight - line, super modern, boxy stuff is more "in your face" about it because of the lack of landscape diversity. The amount of just pure grass flatness.

But that's true to me of every community/neighborhood where this happens.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:24 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
4-classic Chicago housing styles of the late 1800s early 20th century.

Last edited by DavePa; 09-16-2019 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-13-2021, 09:27 AM

626 posts, read 463,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Most interesting residential architecture is in NYC in my opinion, only the prewar stuff though.

You really dont think that there's been anything interesting built in NYC since the war? Come on now that's crazy talk

Old 03-13-2021, 09:57 AM

824 posts, read 711,480 times
Chicago’s greystones are probably some of the most interesting. It’s unfortunate what’s happening in a lot of higher-income areas where hundreds of historic homes have been replaced by McMansion-esqe development. But at the same time, though the issues with housing units and the demolitions have been very apparent, with the new homes replacing many two or three flats, a lot of the old housing demoed were simple wooden framed homes.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:29 AM

44 posts, read 34,174 times
For residential, I personally like the rowhouse-style of cities like NYC, Brooklyn and Queens in particular, DC, Philly, Chicago, Boston, parts of Providence, etc. The modern style with a ton of squares and sharp angles can be found essentially anywhere.

However, I will point out residential architecture of places like Florida, New Mexico, and Seattle as being pretty interesing.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:36 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Chicago
Philadelphia
Seattle

imo

Old 05-07-2021, 11:22 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I spent a few days at the Earthship community just west of Taos, NM. There are 80 off-the-grid homes there with more being built. I would have to say that those are the most interesting homes I have seen in a single community. The homes mean business - using solar or wind generated electricity and water is used four times before discarded into a septic system - but there is a touch of whimsy as well. Even in a desert environment they are very comfortable and efficient.

https://urbannext.net/earthship-biotecture/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.