Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 05:48 PM

401 posts, read 319,408 times

Advertisements

Someday I want to move (after my mother is gone), and I am having a hard time narrowing it down to a city that would be best for me. I am picky but for good reason, after all, where we live determines our whole life. So here are my criteria, and if anyone knows of any cities or towns that tick all my boxes, I would appreciate the suggestions!

1. I want my climate to be overall warm most of the time. I currently live in Minnesota and I am freezing 9 months out of the year and that just isn't acceptable. I am ok moving to a place that gets snow and cold, but as long as it isn't as bad as here I would be happy. I love thunderstorms so I'd want it to be an area that gets those regularly.

2. Gotta have trees! The more, the better. Rolling hills would be nice too, I don't really like when everything is flat.

3. Near a lake with a beach that is swimmable.

4. A small city or town, within half an hour of something bigger. But I need peace and quiet so I figure the smaller, the better. But yet not so small that it doesn't have a grocery store, gas station, etc.

5. Preferrably a liberal population or at least a lot of people who are hippie-like, free spirited open minded people. I know it's hard to find a whole town like that and probably even harder to find a small town like that, but I have to try.

6. Preferrably close to things like farmers markets, organic food stores & restaurants, holistic & metaphysical shops, music venues, quaint cafes with outdoor patios that are open late at night with pretty lights hung up outside, etc. It would be ok if I was within half an hour of these things, but would be even better if they were right in town.

So a warm hilly tree-filled small hippie-friendly city by a lake.
The opposite of a huge cold loud polluted industrial metropolis with no trees, grass or water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 06:04 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
Fayetteville Arkansas perhaps? It's not on a lake but Beaver Lake is not far and is a popular spot for summer tourists and has miles of shoreline to appease you. It's also next door to the Ozark National Forest and has several rolling hills so trees galore!

Not sure about the hippie vibe, but it's home to the University of Arkansas so you're bound to find some like-minded friends.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:13 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaGoddess View Post
I am having a hard time narrowing it down to a city that would be best for me.
What line of work are you in?
Renting or buying?
Budget?

Old 07-30-2019, 06:18 PM

533 posts, read 642,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaGoddess View Post
Someday I want to move (after my mother is gone), and I am having a hard time narrowing it down to a city that would be best for me. I am picky but for good reason, after all, where we live determines our whole life. So here are my criteria, and if anyone knows of any cities or towns that tick all my boxes, I would appreciate the suggestions!

1. I want my climate to be overall warm most of the time. I currently live in Minnesota and I am freezing 9 months out of the year and that just isn't acceptable. I am ok moving to a place that gets snow and cold, but as long as it isn't as bad as here I would be happy. I love thunderstorms so I'd want it to be an area that gets those regularly.

2. Gotta have trees! The more, the better. Rolling hills would be nice too, I don't really like when everything is flat.

3. Near a lake with a beach that is swimmable.

4. A small city or town, within half an hour of something bigger. But I need peace and quiet so I figure the smaller, the better. But yet not so small that it doesn't have a grocery store, gas station, etc.

5. Preferrably a liberal population or at least a lot of people who are hippie-like, free spirited open minded people. I know it's hard to find a whole town like that and probably even harder to find a small town like that, but I have to try.

6. Preferrably close to things like farmers markets, organic food stores & restaurants, holistic & metaphysical shops, music venues, quaint cafes with outdoor patios that are open late at night with pretty lights hung up outside, etc. It would be ok if I was within half an hour of these things, but would be even better if they were right in town.

So a warm hilly tree-filled small hippie-friendly city by a lake.
The opposite of a huge cold loud polluted industrial metropolis with no trees, grass or water.

Raleigh-Durham, Tampa bay, or Austin metro areas might work for you

Old 07-30-2019, 06:20 PM

125 posts, read 105,995 times
Asheville, NC, or Wilmington, NC, might be worth exploring.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:24 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
Raleigh-Durham, Tampa bay, or Austin metro areas might work for you
OP said small city though, I would assume Raleigh, Tampa, and Austin are out based on that criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo71 View Post
Asheville, NC, or Wilmington, NC, might be worth exploring.
Problem with Wilmington is that it's not hilly. Asheville yes.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:03 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
I was thinking Asheville, NC. I live in the Charlotte area and do day trips with my wife there a lot. Love the area! They're liberal in the city, but very nice/kind to those who are conservative as well (the surrounding counties are more conservative). Truly open-minded and more live-n-let-live than some liberal areas. People there get along well there. It's great!
Good luck wherever you land!

Old 07-30-2019, 09:00 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
I was thinking Asheville or Raleigh actually...

or Nashville even.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:25 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
Asheville, NC is the place I thought of instantly

Old 07-30-2019, 11:19 PM

401 posts, read 319,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Fayetteville Arkansas perhaps? It's not on a lake but Beaver Lake is not far and is a popular spot for summer tourists and has miles of shoreline to appease you. It's also next door to the Ozark National Forest and has several rolling hills so trees galore!

Not sure about the hippie vibe, but it's home to the University of Arkansas so you're bound to find some like-minded friends.
I've never thought of Arkansas! I'll check it out. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.