Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city suffers most ills of visitors/tourism? (ignore benefits)
Atlanta 2 3.70%
Boston 2 3.70%
Chicago 0 0%
Denver 1 1.85%
Honolulu 7 12.96%
Las Vegas 8 14.81%
Los Angeles 2 3.70%
Miami 3 5.56%
New Orleans 4 7.41%
New York 7 12.96%
Orange Co/Anaheim 0 0%
Orlando 10 18.52%
Philadelphia 1 1.85%
San Diego 0 0%
San Francisco 1 1.85%
Washington 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 01:00 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
That third list is obviously taking into account airport traffic. Not sure how Chicago could be #9 for international visitors and #5 for domestic, but #2 overall. Atlanta is even worse when it’s not even in the top 10 for international visitors and #10 for domestic, but is #3 overall. I don’t put much stock in any of these lists though. It seems like you can find one out there to back up any point you’re trying to make.

As for the question it’s tough because you can pretty much avoid the hordes of tourists if you don’t live, work, or play in just a couple areas of the city.

I thought Los Angeles might be the best answer because it has the most attractions spread over a larger area so you’re dealing with them everywhere, but conversely they’ll blend into the masses easier than when they're concentrated into a few specific spots.

I went with Honolulu because I’ve been there in all the seasons and you can’t tell the difference in the number of tourists everywhere (summer is worse), plus most standout like a sore thumb. While there’s plenty of areas of Oahu that are untouched with few tourists, it’s still a small island and it’s hard to avoid them with the exception of these spots and residential areas.

Right up there has to be Orlando. I was there in the summer once and I couldn’t fathom why anyone would choose to go there then with the weather, but it’s obvious because that’s when people take their vacations. I don’t know what it’s like in the winter.
I was different links used also.

It should be noted too. Most links us stats furnished by cities. Some use whole city metros and multi-counties too and some just city-proper's alone. Some city's stats count day-trippers, some do not.

My state alone is one that requires metro stats counted. When I came across thus link on Philly's stats n tourism #'s. It gave insight in how city counts can differ and my state. Smaller city-proper's, mat tend to count metros.

This is the link on Philly that gave how its numbers are metro and how some do not count day-trippers like DC. It's from 2019 using 2015 stats.

https://billypenn.com/2016/11/09/her...urists-we-get/

Example from the link:
- Why does Visit Philly focus and promote Greater Philadelphia rather than the city of Philadelphia? It’s actually state law, according to the group.
- Take New York City for example. NYC & Company counts overnight visitors and day-trippers, too, using the same 50-mile or farther metric for daytime guests, but keeps its data to the five boroughs. In 2015, its total for domestic visitors was 46 million.
- Unlike Philly, Washington, D.C. doesn’t count day-trippers in its methodology. It only counts overnight visitors. And in 2015 DC saw 19.3 million domestic visitors.
- Chicago beats out Philadelphia, as well as New York and DC (!), with 51 million domestic visitors in 2015, according to Choose Chicago.

Chicago is definitely a Success story .... in its huge increase in tourism...... and BY FAR. They all utilize its one Core CBD. Under the last two Mayor administrations. Promoting - tourism and build attractions to increase it..... were HUGE success stories, as noted in another poster in its yearly increases. One thing that this city did do right. For the results it achieved. Some cities attractions are far more spread across the city and metros. NYC in Manhattan and Chicago in the Core and Shore along its Lake Michigan coast by far. I

What Chicago lacks is the high International numbers of Coastal cities of the East and West Coast. It's Increasing, but for most still its mighty NYC and LA for the Hollywood/California mystique still alive in the world and NYC a given. Then you have the true resort vacation cities like Vegas, Orlando and Miami/Miami Beach.

So of course ..... few cities will gain the huge International numbers they get. But Chicago's Domestic numbers. Still do it proud and aids in stereotypes LESS hyped by visitors who in going home, give favorably great visit comments. TripAdvisor as a commonly use link also proves this.

Tons of YouTube video's of successful vlogs of visits also as they are called. Many I've viewed might hit the same touristy locations. But the one thing in common is .... expectations surpassed by far.

** I do not think the NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF TOURISM is a factor to Locals of this city. So really not for this thread. But comments were still made of stats and counts ..... so I replied why and there are counting differences too.

I think smaller cities who gain high tourism are far more wit area residents not as happy. Northern ones .... at least have the winter off-season to calm things down for them. NYC GENERLLY DIDLIKES THE TOURIST MOST.

*** How many times have I read how TORIST GET IN THE WAY ON SIDEWALKS LOOKING UP AND SUCH ....... BY NEW YORKERS They want to shove them and yell. Move or get moving or get shoved.

So NYC is a given for this title of viewed NEGATIVELY MOST toward tourist. IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 01:52 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
I don't think the tourists in LA cause too many problems. They tend to concentrate in a few areas which mostly have the infrastructure to deal with tourists and regular people can mostly avoid them. There are some exceptions in Hollywoodland and Lake Hollywood neighborhoods, where people armed with GPS crowd narrow, windy neighborhood streets trying to get up to somewhere where the can get a good instagram shot of the Hollywood sign.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:23 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I love Seattle's tourists but they're certainly in the way sometimes.

One doesn't grab a quick lunch at the Pike Place Market, where the dozen most popular places (the ones not hidden down hallways and secret alleys) have absurd lines at the main lunch time.

Where I live, a duck boat with quacking and a microphone go by my condo every four minutes on average.

Cruise crowds proliferate for five months of the year. We have three berths so six loads of people come through on peak days. The ones who walk around (vs. heading straight for the ship) often go in groups. I love this but they do jam things up.

The central waterfront and the Seattle Center (Space Needle, MoPop, Chihuly, PacSci, etc.) tend to be tourist-dominated outside of festivals etc, but the Market and Downtown in general are lots of tourists alongside locals.

We're never going to top a visitor list, or a tourist list...too far away, not a crossroads, etc. But the tourists we do get tend to concentrate in greater Downtown so the effect is outsized. Greater Downtown has gone from about 6,000 hotel rooms in the mid-1990s to about 16,000 by early next year.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:53 PM

81 posts, read 43,850 times
NYC by a landslide

Old 08-01-2019, 07:59 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
I don't really see what the downside of tourism could be in any of the poll choices, but I do find the whole "New Yorkers" annoyed by tourists meme to be pretty amusing.

I guess when they moved there it was a small quiet town and they had no clue it would become the tourist capital of the world.

On some days its hard for me to even find someone in my condo building who isn't a tourist. I knew what I was getting into, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:24 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
There is no way Honolulu doesn't top this poll. Honolulu (and the rest of the islands of Hawaii for that matter) only saving grace from massive tourist invasion is the fact that they are islands deep into the Pacific Ocean, and airline costs prevent many from visiting. Though I'd argue if Honolulu was as easy to get to as NYC for most of the country, it would surpass it.

The islands are small and concentrate tourists and the permanent population in close quarters. I think we all have parts of our city we avoid due to tourists for a certain time of the year or maybe all the time. There is no such escape in Hawaii. In addition, tourists have been known to be disrespectful in Hawaii. Hawaii experiences the worst of people buying property there and jacking up prices for the sake of their own private vacations (still tourism), to the point people cannot even afford rent to live there without 4 generations living together. NYC is not that bad.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:30 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
I can't imagine any of these places banning tourists. The money that rolls in offsets any problems if they plan for it. Smaller cities or towns suffer more than big cities from hordes of tourists and some of them have cancelled popular festivals because of unmanageable crowds. Even these small places usually find ways to cope because of the economic impact.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:38 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

US CITIES: RANK OF # OF TOTAL VISITORS
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...in-the-us.html
01 New York
02 Chicago
03 Atlanta

04 Orange Co/Anaheim
05 Orlando
06 Los Angeles
07 Las Vegas
08 Philadelphia
09 San Diego
10 San Francisco

[b][i][u][color="Red"]U
Holy stopovers, Batman!

Old 08-01-2019, 08:49 PM

481 posts, read 422,574 times
Limited experience, but Cape Cod (Barnstable Town) suffers a ton from tourist influx, although the economy there also sadly, desperately relies on it. Also just heard a story on the radio about how Acadia National Park is absolutely swamped with visitors to the point where it's difficult for EMS vehicles to get through. Not a city, but still.

Ain't sure if the sentiment is knew, but it feels like it's becoming more and more of a gift if your state/city remains under-the-radar/uncool/unpopular.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:56 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Holy stopovers, Batman!
No stats on visitors. Use airline layovers as counted in their stats. IF you refer to and insinuate as if O'Hare an Hartsfield Airports as our busiest airports have layovers between flights counted? As a reason.

If day-trippers to city sights and attractions, theaters and museums are counted? Most cities do. It does not involve merely layovers for flights at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.