Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 08:26 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times

Advertisements

Louisville is in SEVERAL national publications as a successful, growing, and in some cases "booming" city.
Here is a dumb crappy burrito chain expanding to the area:

https://www.wlky.com/article/new-to-...tions/28422167

Here is a quote directly from the NJ based owner....is he also trying to "booster" Louisville like you claim I am? Why don't you throw the city a bone? What do you or anyone here HONESTLY know about the city? The problem with you clearly millenial generation is you think everything can be found on google. There's a certain TANGIBLE dynamic energy everywhere in Louisville. I've experienced these booms in their infancy in other cities and I can very clearly see it here. Steelcityrising thought I was FOS....then visited and felt it too.

Anyways, here is what the burrito chain guy said:

Bubbakoo’s Burritos, a New Jersey-based fast-casual chain, will open five franchise locations in Louisville. The restaurants will be locally owned and operated by the Paresh family.

Paul Altero, co-founder and co-owner of Bubbakoo’s Burritos, said Louisville has been on the company’s short list of expansion opportunities.

“Louisville is a growing market,” he said. “There’s been strong interest to franchise here, alongside Nashville, Orlando and Tampa. We’ve identified the markets that are growing rapidly and would be a good fit for our brand.”

So maybe Louisville is growing half or under half as fast as those true sunbelt towns...but its starting to get national recognition for what is occurring. That is all I am saying. It bothers alot of folks here, it really does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 09:23 PM

Another hard data fact....Louisville is among the tops in percentage of successful businesses...#2 in the nation behind Seattle. It's a simple metric, divide profitable businesses into total businesses:

https://www.lendingtree.com/business...le-businesses/

Nothing subjective about that. There are lots of non population metrics that show Louisville is "booming." No, not sunbelt booming, but several THIRD PARTIES are using these threads to describe Louisville....and many of the cities listed here.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:39 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
So if I search your posts I won't find boosterism for Richmond? Come on now!
Ok I'm utterly confused as somehow I became a Richmond booster and didn't even know it. I can't even recall the last time I even talked about the place and I'm not a regular in their subforum. As I've stated, I like the place and I also think it's pretty underrated; I've said as much a few times. That's a pretty low bar for boosterism but I suppose I can see why that would be the case for you since your bar is also a bit low for places considered boomtowns. Two points for consistency for you.

Quote:
Birmingham has NO WHERE near the construction of Louisville. Louisville is as much bigger than Birmingham as Milwaukee is bigger than Louisville. Yet, we have people honestly claiming Milwaukee is several tiers above Louisville.
I don't know if Birmingham currently has as much construction going on as Louisville but I do know that over the past few years, its downtown has been on a roll with new development and the redevelopment of existing properties, expansion of its sports and convention facilities, new development at UAB, etc. and it's been nothing short of impressive sitting from where I am. It appears that both it and Louisville are getting similar types of developments and such which is why I mentioned it (I found a list of projects completed, under construction, and proposed going back a few years but it doesn't look like it's been updated in several months which gives an idea of what's going on there). My point is that even with what could legitimately be called a construction boom happening in the core of Birmingham (similar to Louisville in that respect), I still wouldn't call it a boomtown. And if you're offended by my Birmingham example, I'd say the same of Philadelphia which is obviously several times larger than Louisville and seeing a lot more new construction and redevelopment, with two new tallest skyscrapers to boot. The place is growing and progressing quite nicely with much to show for it, but I wouldn't put it in the boomtown category (and to be fair, as a well-established legacy city, it probably won't ever experience another boom similar to that of the late 18th/early 19th centuries). Oh and I know next to nothing about Milwaukee and haven't made any claims about Louisville in relation to it.

Quote:
What is considered a highrise? Louisville has probably a dozen 5 story buildings under construction.
I can personally think of 6 highrises over 5 stories under construction, some of which still have cranes up. We had a nonbiased poster who just drove by Louisville and said there were several cranes up. They stretch from UofL's campus to the east suburbs.
To me, highrises are somewhere in the 10-12 story+ range, depending on height more than anything. Regardless, that's great for Louisville in all sincerity and I'm glad to know it's progressing nicely on that front.

Quote:
Yet, we have people here trying to downplay what's going on in Louisville and compare it to Birmingham. It's utterly laughable. It's a stretch for Louisville to compare to true boomtowns when Yelp is the one who used the term. Louisville can't be compared to metros 300k bigger but is identical to metros 200-300k smaller with less even population growth? What gives?
Nobody is downplaying what's going on in Louisville by using Birmingham as a point of comparison, nor did anybody say the two places are identical. And again, stop confusing me with Richmond boosters and people who say Milwaukee and Louisville can't be compared (which I never said). If that was your attempt to portray me as being inconsistent in my reasoning at best or strongly biased against Louisville at worst, then consider it an utter failure. You don't get to just make stuff up, attribute it to someone you're arguing with, and declare victory. Like seriously, how were you even chosen to be a moderator here in the first place?

Old 08-05-2019, 09:50 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
It seems secondary cities still South and state incentives to Corporate America. Are becoming the new batch of cities on the edge of booming status. Charlotte, Richman thru Nashville Louisville and more maybe Memphis too. Maybe even Columbus and Cincinnati will make the list soon?

This is because rising cost in the established Sunbelt booming cities has been steadily rising and traffic worst. Atlanta thru the booming Texas cities are rising in cost and taxes ..... quickly. Texas State debt ar nearly $10,000 per resident. That is approaching the worst Northern states with high debt.

Though these new cities becoming booming ones? Still have real winters. They may be seen as just minus the severe factors of those cities further North.

I expect this trend to pick up.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Here is a quote directly from the NJ based owner....is he also trying to "booster" Louisville like you claim I am?
Of course he is; he's a businessman that owns a relatively unknown/obscure brand that's expanding to a new market. You don't build clientele by trashing your new city, that's for sure. What he's saying is the usual run-of-the-mill stuff you expect for a businessman new to a particular city, especially in the press. You're definitely grasping with this particular example.

Quote:
Why don't you throw the city a bone?
I have, but because I'm not calling it a boomtown or the second coming of Nashville, you can't see that.

Quote:
The problem with you clearly millenial generation is you think everything can be found on google.
So now I'm a MILLENIAL Richmond booster...this just gets better and better huh? I guess I'd better tell my mom you found a mistake on my birth certificate all the way from Louisville and that some other president besides Jimmy Carter was in the White House when I was born. (Hint: that makes me Gen X).

Quote:
So maybe Louisville is growing half or under half as fast as those true sunbelt towns...but its starting to get national recognition for what is occurring. That is all I am saying. It bothers alot of folks here, it really does.
Actually you're saying a bit more than that, but I agree that Louisville is starting to gain more recognition on a regional and national level and I'm not bothered by that in the least, not should I be.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Another hard data fact....Louisville is among the tops in percentage of successful businesses...#2 in the nation behind Seattle. It's a simple metric, divide profitable businesses into total businesses:

https://www.lendingtree.com/business...le-businesses/

Nothing subjective about that. There are lots of non population metrics that show Louisville is "booming." No, not sunbelt booming, but several THIRD PARTIES are using these threads to describe Louisville....and many of the cities listed here.
So Louisville is "booming" but not (just plain old) booming? There you go with the qualifiers again which highly suggests that other terms are accurate here (healthy, prosperous, etc)--and dare I say better. But you're just breaking your neck to get Louisville a seat at the cool cities' table when overall it's doing well for itself as is.

The literal definition of "booming" according to Mirriam-Webster is "growing or expanding very quickly." As I stated before, certain sectors in a city may be described as such without the city itself being described as such. Is Louisville a boomtown? No. Are certain key sectors in the city booming? Yes. Both of these things can be true at the same time with no contradictions.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:25 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So Louisville is "booming" but not (just plain old) booming? There you go with the qualifiers again which highly suggests that other terms are accurate here (healthy, prosperous, etc)--and dare I say better. But you're just breaking your neck to get Louisville a seat at the cool cities' table when overall it's doing well for itself as is.

The literal definition of "booming" according to Mirriam-Webster is "growing or expanding very quickly." As I stated before, certain sectors in a city may be described as such without the city itself being described as such. Is Louisville a boomtown? No. Are certain key sectors in the city booming? Yes. Both of these things can be true at the same time with no contradictions.
Really, why deny the reality....... these cities are in earlier stages of booming. Again, as cost rise in these traditional Sunbelt cities. Others will and ARE being looked into.

Basically, not yet full booming. Maybe Nashville and Charlotte are there? Or closest? Why lessen it anyway? It is occurring. No question mark.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Really, why deny the reality....... these cities are in earlier stages of booming. Again, as cost rise in these traditional Sunbelt cities. Others will and ARE being looked into.

Basically, not yet full booming. Maybe Nashville and Charlotte are there? Or closest? Why lessen it anyway? It is occurring. No question mark.
THANK YOU! No one is saying these cities are Nashville and Charlotte booming. I think they are next though. Time will tell. Every city in these list in my opinion is doing VERY well. Compared to Memphis, Louisville is growing a lot faster however I fully expect that city to get its act together as there is LOTS of construction. Memphis, like Louisville, has a whole half of town dragging down the city. If/when some of that racial inequality calms, watch out for Memphis.

Mutiny, it CLEARLY bothers you with Louisville's success despite who/what you (say) you represent. Why don't you write Yelp and complain how offended you are Louisville is called a boomtown? I didn't coin their article or methodology.

Shall I draw up a post count where you say positive things about Richmond vs Louisville? Enough said!

Old 08-06-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Mutiny, it CLEARLY bothers you with Louisville's success despite who/what you (say) you represent. Why don't you write Yelp and complain how offended you are Louisville is called a boomtown? I didn't coin their article or methodology.
If it makes you sleep better at night thinking that I'm somehow bothered by Louisville's success, which I have acknowledged several times already, then go right on ahead. I'm not offended that Yelp calls these cities boomtowns; I simply see it for what it is. Lots of other lists use similar language to call attention to their rankings, like Travel + Leisure "Best Cities" list.

Quote:
Shall I draw up a post count where you say positive things about Richmond vs Louisville? Enough said!
Go right ahead. I don't know what that would even prove but the fact that you would offer to take time out of your day to engage in such a frivolous exercise speaks volumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.