Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Midwestern state feels the most Southern?
Kansas 2 1.23%
Missouri 125 76.69%
Illinois 4 2.45%
Indiana 26 15.95%
Ohio 6 3.68%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 04:38 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
Missouri probably would be be considered a Southern state instead of a Midwestern state if the state didn't stretch farther north than Pittsburgh,PA.
Keokuk, Iowa, in spite of being located just north of the MO/IA border, is further south than most of the MO/IA border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 07:03 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
The far southern tier of Missouri counties and a good part of the bootheel region could be considered Southern without the positive aspects of that designation. There seems to be something missing. Some of it resembles the southern Appalachians and other parts are more Mississippi delta.

Missouri is a state with a river culture along the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. It seems southern but it is associated with the river history and culture. It fades pretty quickly into a midwestern culture when you move away from the rivers. I suspect that Keokuk might have something like that going on when compared to the rest of Iowa.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:12 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Ohio. The southern part of Ohio has more in common with the south than the northern states. It's basically Appalachia.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:23 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The far southern tier of Missouri counties and a good part of the bootheel region could be considered Southern without the positive aspects of that designation. There seems to be something missing. Some of it resembles the southern Appalachians and other parts are more Mississippi delta.

Missouri is a state with a river culture along the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. It seems southern but it is associated with the river history and culture. It fades pretty quickly into a midwestern culture when you move away from the rivers. I suspect that Keokuk might have something like that going on when compared to the rest of Iowa.
And like most southern states,it went easily to President Trump.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:49 AM

255 posts, read 159,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Here is a dialect map that helps the discussion

https://aschmann.net/AmEng/
This map makes it look like most of the populated parts of Oklahoma would be speaking with an accent similar to the midwest, unless I'm reading this wrong?

Old 08-13-2019, 06:41 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
This map makes it look like most of the populated parts of Oklahoma would be speaking with an accent similar to the midwest, unless I'm reading this wrong?
That's exactly what it's saying, and it's also true in my experience. Tulsa and OKC don't have a significant Southern accent the way rural eastern/southern Oklahoma does.

Part of the reason Oklahoma was the most popular response in the "Which Southern state is the most Midwestern?" thread.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:00 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
Missouri is very southern to me. I'm sometimes surprised it has anything to do with the Midwest. From the way they handled their projects in St Louis to the way they talk, it makes me think I'm in the south. Historically, they have more ties to the North, but having grown up in the Chicagoland area, it was the closest most different place within what I considered an acceptable driving distance.

They really need to do something about St Louis. That metro area just gives me a very depressing vibe both historically and modern times.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:37 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Missouri is very southern to me. I'm sometimes surprised it has anything to do with the Midwest. From the way they handled their projects in St Louis to the way they talk, it makes me think I'm in the south. Historically, they have more ties to the North, but having grown up in the Chicagoland area, it was the closest most different place within what I considered an acceptable driving distance.

They really need to do something about St Louis. That metro area just gives me a very depressing vibe both historically and modern times.
I couldn't really disagree more. St. Louis is a very underrated city, IMO. Beautiful architecture, a lot of pride, and some amenities you just wouldn't expect at that level. Forest Park is on par with Central Park.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:28 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
And like most southern states,it went easily to President Trump.
Missouri is a special case in this regard -- not entirely traced to "southern" qualities. It was once considered a "bellwether" state -- one that was somewhat independent and reflective of the general feelings and opinions of the entire nation. That was replaced by a follow-the-leader period where it was manipulated and molded by public opinion and political/social/religious hyperbole. Lately, it has been sliding into the quagmire of extreme right-wing goofy-ism that developed during and after the Ash croft administration. It has now retreated into two opposing camps - urban and rural (and all that that implies) - with extremist on both sides. In some ways, it seems no longer capable of self-government. One could say that, in the final analysis, it has returned as a bellwether state.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:24 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Missouri is a special case in this regard -- not entirely traced to "southern" qualities. It was once considered a "bellwether" state -- one that was somewhat independent and reflective of the general feelings and opinions of the entire nation. That was replaced by a follow-the-leader period where it was manipulated and molded by public opinion and political/social/religious hyperbole. Lately, it has been sliding into the quagmire of extreme right-wing goofy-ism that developed during and after the Ash croft administration. It has now retreated into two opposing camps - urban and rural (and all that that implies) - with extremist on both sides. In some ways, it seems no longer capable of self-government. One could say that, in the final analysis, it has returned as a bellwether state.

Willard Duncan Vandiver once said this of Missouri.

- "I come from a state that raises corn and cotton, cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I'm from Missouri, and you have got to show me."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_Duncan_Vandiver

I also think the 1985 World Series further confirms this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.