U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 11:30 PM

25,233 posts, read 25,768,778 times

Advertisements

Somebody please explain - Why does it matter that much where you live if you have the means to travel just about anywhere you want?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 11:37 PM

3,626 posts, read 2,054,898 times
Traveling and living are different things with different criteria.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:48 AM

15,423 posts, read 11,250,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
What state would you choose to live in for the rest of your life?
Drunken............

Old 08-11-2019, 01:23 AM

9,553 posts, read 12,366,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Traveling and living are different things with different criteria.
Very different. Not an apples to apples comparison.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:41 AM

6,778 posts, read 3,800,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Somebody please explain - Why does it matter that much where you live if you have the means to travel just about anywhere you want?
Visiting gives you short durations of experiences of an area. Living in an area where you actually have set roots, the different aspects of that area affects nearly every segment of your life on a daily basis. Where I choose to live and where I choose to visit have two very distinct sets of criteria. Just my take

Old 08-11-2019, 09:33 AM
Status: "There are better things ahead than behind. CS Lewis" (set 25 days ago)

65,102 posts, read 54,628,466 times
I love living in Texas but it is my second favorite state, not my first favorite state. I live here because I like it and I'm close to family and my husband loves it here - plus NE Texas is beautiful in my opinion, with lots of green, rolling hills and pastures, oak and pine trees, and that big blue sunny Texas sky above it all.

But my favorite state and favorite region is Virginia and the Chesapeake Bay region. (I also like Maryland a lot.) So if I didn't have other considerations, I'd probably buy a home in Yorktown VA and live happily ever after, overlooking the York River!

But we can and do travel often to that region so I'm OK with not actually living there.

I will probably spend the rest of my life in NE Texas and that makes me happy!

Old 08-11-2019, 11:21 AM

4,793 posts, read 4,267,830 times
Quote:
Because there's a lot to be said for being able to take 2 hours after work or a Saturday morning and jumping outside to a place you love.

To me, travelling is for experiences and learning, not for relaxing. To relax, it's got to be a place close to home. There's nothing relaxing about air travel and I like little doses of enjoyment rather than big chunks.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:20 PM

8,313 posts, read 4,822,936 times
Quote:
It depends on the individual.

For many (like myself), there's something to be said about:

*Being able to regularly interact with people from all sorts of different races/religions.

*Having a plethora of employment opportunities to choose from to if you lose your current job or can no longer move up/within the company.

*Having access to high speed internet, Amazon Prime, Uber/Lyft, etc.

or being no more than 15-30 minutes from:

*An airport with direct flights to every destination you can think of

*Concerts

*Museums

*Professional sports games

*Restaurants that offer food from a myriad of ethnic backgrounds.

To my point, given your username and current location, I doubt you'd be happy living in some place like Kansas.

Last edited by citidata18; 08-11-2019 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 07:38 PM

1,045 posts, read 637,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I already live in my forever state: North Carolina. To me, it has the best balance of economy, beautiful beaches/piedmont/mountains, best collection of metros/small towns/retirement areas with high qualities of life, great recreational assets, cost of living/buying power, nice people, climate. Just love it here
I'm a North Carolina native & can't wait to leave. My fiance and I are relocating to Southern California where I will work in the TV-film industry. We plan to buy land in remote NorCal & build an off grid cabin.

I don't like big cities, being 'round crowds of people, nightlife, etc. We're both homebodies and off grid life would be perfect for us. NorCal is the place for our forever home.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:44 PM
Status: "Christians are not oppressed in the US." (set 13 days ago)

7,094 posts, read 5,396,776 times
I'm already here; Minnesota. Just about perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.