U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 07:51 PM

36,031 posts, read 63,875,163 times

Advertisements

California. It always has been and always will be, no matter where I am in the world on monthlong work trip overseas, when I look the destination on my next ticket and it says SFO or LAX, I breathe a sigh of relief and think to myself, "next stop, home"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 02:53 AM

330 posts, read 239,122 times
LA native here. If I won the lottery, I want to live bicostal betwee LA(Summer and Winter) and NYC(Spring and Autumn) for the rest of my life.

Words can’t describe how much I love NYC. No place in the world is perfect, but for me, NYC is hands down the greatest city on the planet. As a person who has visited NYC many times over the years, every time I finished visiting NYC and was about to return home, there wasn’t even once I left NYC without kicking and screaming. So whenever I had time for vacation, I tried to go back to NYC as much as I could to feed my NY soul. Every time I’m about to get on a fly to JFK, the inside happiness and joy are simply indescribable.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:02 AM

6,586 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
California. It always has been and always will be, no matter where I am in the world on monthlong work trip overseas, when I look the destination on my next ticket and it says SFO or LAX, I breathe a sigh of relief and think to myself, "next stop, home"
I wish I could be there with ya. Born and raised in the Bay Area, CA always feels like home, but I can’t justify the COL.

I would definitely like to be in the desert Southwest though. Nevada or NM, but open to AZ. Not yet sure about Utah, although it might be the prettiest of any state in the US.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:47 AM

25,239 posts, read 25,768,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It depends on the individual.

For many (like myself), there's something to be said about:

*Being able to regularly interact with people from all sorts of different races/religions.

*Having a plethora of employment opportunities to choose from to if you lose your current job or can no longer move up/within the company.

*Having access to high speed internet, Amazon Prime, Uber/Lyft, etc.

or being no more than 15-30 minutes from:

*An airport with direct flights to every destination you can think of

*Concerts

*Museums

*Professional sports games

*Restaurants that offer food from a myriad of ethnic backgrounds.

To my point, given your username and current location, I doubt you'd be happy living in some place like Kansas.
I can understand what you're saying. But there are many places in the U.S. (and the world) that have the things you listed. And even if your particular location doesn't have some of these things, all you need to do is hop on a plane and in a matter of a few hours you're there. Air travel is very simple.

When I travel to a place and stay in a house for a number of weeks, it feels very much like I'm living there. I get to know a place better than even some of the natives will.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:49 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,784,724 times
I have no intentions of living in any one place forever. Currently enjoying life in Wisconsin but I could happily move to Washington or out of the country (most likely upon retirement). And that would be to live on a boat so "home" will be wherever we drop anchor.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:21 AM

12,713 posts, read 17,168,501 times
New York … mostly for the job market in NYC but the state is so beautiful from the bordering towns of Canada to Montauk Point. Such beauty in the state. Also I am a liberal so the politics of NYS match my beliefs. As a women, my reproductive rights are intact here and will probably always be. People b*tch about our governor, but I think he is doing a great job.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Somebody please explain - Why does it matter that much where you live if you have the means to travel just about anywhere you want?
because most people are not traveling a majority of the time. Most people are in their home vicinity a majority of the time and travel occasionally (few times a year etc etc)

Old 08-12-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
LA native here. If I won the lottery, I want to live bicostal betwee LA(Summer and Winter) and NYC(Spring and Autumn) for the rest of my life.

Words can’t describe how much I love NYC. No place in the world is perfect, but for me, NYC is hands down the greatest city on the planet. As a person who has visited NYC many times over the years, every time I finished visiting NYC and was about to return home, there wasn’t even once I left NYC without kicking and screaming. So whenever I had time for vacation, I tried to go back to NYC as much as I could to feed my NY soul. Every time I’m about to get on a fly to JFK, the inside happiness and joy are simply indescribable.
I live in the NYC metro and every time I touchdown back in NYC … my heart gets so full. Love it here! <3

Old 08-12-2019, 10:44 AM

18,357 posts, read 10,824,658 times
I would probably be in Maine. I keep looking for my dream house but haven't found it. It's also difficult leaving the great life I have here in Illinois. There is a precious 7 year old in my life that is very attached to me and vice versa. Aww look at that face smiling at me on that coffee cup. How can I leave that?

I still fantasize about being close to a ski area where I can ice fish, snow shoe, snow mobile and ski. I see my tricked out ice fishing shack and my beautiful cabin on the lake and I think, what am I doing here? Then I think about what I'll be leaving. I'm torn.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:44 PM

1,443 posts, read 1,353,115 times
I already live in Houston, TX. Born and raised here, plenty of jobs, among the best city for African Americans, food scene is unmatched, well connected via multiple freeways to get you to different sides of the city, Top 3 in Fortune 500 companies, the list goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.