Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which comes closest to what you believe (Pick one from 1-4 & one from 5-6)
DC/Bal are 2 metros; SF/Oak/SJ, DFW, MSP are each one 29 48.33%
DC/Bal are 2 metros; at least one of Bay, DFW, MSP is not a unified metro 7 11.67%
DC/Bal is one metro area; same for SF/Oak/SJ, DFW, and MSP 13 21.67%
DC/Bal is one metro; at least one of Bay, DFW, MSP is not 0 0%
DC/Bal are more like Chi/Mil, LA/SD than Bay, DFW, MSP 20 33.33%
DC/Bal are more like Bay, DFW, MSP than like Chi/Mil, LA/SD 8 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 06:20 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,951,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
To be fair, Baltimore & DC put in a joint bid for the 2024 Olympics and there were genuine plans to have DC United play in Baltimore until the decided to build Audi field, so they are a lot more connected on regional level then you think, it's just the independent cultures in the cores makes the DC-Baltimore so dynamically weird

Like I said early, todays SF/OAK - SJ is DC-Baltimore in 1 to 2 decades down the road
They won't get support in Baltimore, that I know. They're not doing us any favors by letting a DC play here because, for one, it's not our, and two, they don't want to Baltimore market pushing so hard to have our own team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC-Baltimore is already seen as a “joint market”.

From mega concerts like Beyoncé’s OTR tour, to many others, they will choose one of the two 70k plus seat stadiums in the region. M&T Bank stadium may host a certain mega concert instead of Fed Ex Field and because the concert is so large they will keep it at one site and choose either Baltimore or DC to take care of both in one. Even if they have multiple shows they will keep it at the same stadium.

Merriweather Post Pavilion serves both sides of the region. They have Go-Go’s there. Merriweather is in Baltimore’s MSA.

The Capitals winter classic “home game” was played in Annapolis. The connection is already strong today, it’s just the two cities are large enough to sustain their own individual franchises also.

And yes there was an OFFICIAL Washington-Baltimore Olympic bid for 2024. The two being “separate” but linked is nothing new.
So now you can see the by-product of pushing this whole Baltimore/DC narrative. One concert to serve two regions totaling over 9 million people. Both regions lose out when you do that. If Merrieweather is having a Go-go event, its a DC event in the Baltimore area; they then label it as a DMV event tho it's not taking place in the DMV. I find that a bit humourous.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:12 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,545,940 times
^^^ They ran 3 shows in Baltimore to serve the regions population. Just like they did in NY and LA.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...vilion-863681/

“Beleaguered event may take place August 16th through 18th at Merriweather Post Pavilion, outside Washington D.C.”

Old 08-21-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
^^^ They ran 3 shows in Baltimore to serve the regions population. Just like they did in NY and LA.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...vilion-863681/

“Beleaguered event may take place August 16th through 18th at Merriweather Post Pavilion, outside Washington D.C.”
I thought that they cancelled that.

That's what they would need to do so serve both regions of they only have shows in one city. It's a bit of an inconvenience to drive to another metro, though. Someone from Westminster driving all the way to Jiffy Lube live is a hike.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:41 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
So now you can see the by-product of pushing this whole Baltimore/DC narrative. One concert to serve two regions totaling over 9 million people. Both regions lose out when you do that. If Merrieweather is having a Go-go event, its a DC event in the Baltimore area; they then label it as a DMV event tho it's not taking place in the DMV. I find that a bit humourous.
I think you're reaching now. Many concerts rely on a wider radius/catchment area and that's not unique to DC and Baltimore at all. In the Carolinas, sometimes an artist on tour will make a stop in Columbia but nowhere else in the state (or even Charlotte due to proximity), or they may stop in Greensboro but not Charlotte or the Triangle due to those cities' central locations within their states. They might even make Charlotte their only stop in the Carolinas. It happens.

I fail to see how "both regions lose out" if an artist on tour makes a stop in either DC or Baltimore but not both. That doesn't even sound logical.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think you're reaching now. Many concerts rely on a wider radius/catchment area and that's not unique to DC and Baltimore at all. In the Carolinas, sometimes an artist on tour will make a stop in Columbia but nowhere else in the state (or even Charlotte due to proximity), or they may stop in Greensboro but not Charlotte or the Triangle due to those cities' central locations within their states. They might even make Charlotte their only stop in the Carolinas. It happens.

I fail to see how "both regions lose out" if an artist on tour makes a stop in either DC or Baltimore but not both. That doesn't even sound logical.
I'm only judging by the size of each metro, that both can easily support their own concerts/events. If you're combining one concert for 9 million people a lot of people from each metro area gonna lose out.

It just an example.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm only judging by the size of each metro, that both can easily support their own concerts/events. If you're combining one concert for 9 million people a lot of people from each metro area gonna lose out.

It just an example.
Not if there are multiple performances over the course of several nights.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:21 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,545,940 times
Quote:
Not if there are multiple performances over the course of several nights.
Correct. Beyoncé’s OTR tour was a “mega concert”. There were three shows at all major market stops, and Baltimore was chosen as the site for the entire Baltimore-DC region for that concert. The same has happened the other way around for events at Fed Ex Field and not M&T stadium. They don’t split up every singular event that comes here, some companies or planners treat it as one market. Although there are also events that will have individual stops in both depending on the scale of the event.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Correct. Beyoncé’s OTR tour was a “mega concert”. There were three shows at all major market stops, and Baltimore was chosen as the site for the entire Baltimore-DC region for that concert. The same has happened the other way around for events at Fed Ex Field and not M&T stadium. They don’t split up every singular event that comes here, some companies or planners treat it as one market. Although there are also events that will have individual stops in both depending on the scale of the event.
Right. I'm sure most concerts and large events stop in both cities but it's not uncommon for some to stop in one or the other and be there for a few days.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Right. I'm sure most concerts and large events stop in both cities but it's not uncommon for some to stop in one or the other and be there for a few days.
Most times Baltimore gets skipped entirely, with only one show in the DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.