Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 07:11 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Yep, I think you are correct. I had heard what I had posted but researching further supports what you wrote:

What accent will my child have?

One thing that may be true is that children's accents may sound slightly different when speaking to or surrounded by their parents/mothers etc. For example, I have a friend who grew up in this small town in West Texas (where she recently moved back to, last I heard) and her accent with us (her millennial friends, mildly accented friends) is like a mild southern accent. But when she goes back home? Oh lord! It's thick! And her and her mom sound exactly alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 07:33 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
Hey y'all, a friend and I were having a conversation about where folks are considered from- or where other folks would think you are from.

I was born in Southern California- where both of my parents are from (however, my grandparents are from New York and Texas). When I was a kid I moved to Arizona and lived there from ages 5-16. At 16 we moved to Tennessee, where I finished high school and attended undergrad. I lived in TN for 10 years except for 2 years in England for grad school. Now- 10 years later- I've moved to New Orleans. Some of my friends consider me southern, others southwestern, and others californian.

On the same note, one of my friends was born in Japan to a mother who was of Scottish descent who was from Hong Kong, and a Cuban father, but grew up in Mississippi (ages 10-26.) I consider him southern, because for me it is more important where one is raised or spent most of their life.

Would love to know what y'all think about where we would be considered from, and how you differentiate (born, raised, identify, spent most of their time, etc.). Thanks for the input!

Cannot truly claim anywhere but military brat shuffled around everywhere. My childhood was split up between upper north, west coast, southwest, and midwest. I consider myself not really even having a home, just places where I've lived. My parents left the town they were raised in but disliked so much that they hated having to associate themselves with it anymore, so guess I'm an American born in D.C. but never been there since, living on the opposite coast, for now. I have an accent that most people can't really place but if having to guess, usually say a mix of midwest/Californian. No matter where I go though, the people will say I don't sound or seem like I'm from wherever I am at the time.

Last edited by aileesic; 08-18-2019 at 07:55 PM..

Old 08-18-2019, 11:12 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
You're from where you spent the majority of your childhood. For me, I was born and raised in Houston, so that's where I claim.
That's what I think too. I lived in Montana from the age of 10 until 26 so that's where I say I'm from.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:53 PM

1,094 posts, read 809,221 times
I was born in NYC, lived there till age 11, then moved to NC, moved back to NYC for 1 year of college before coming back to NC. I say very much identify with where I was born since I spent all of my grade-school years up there but I also call NC home since I been here the majority of my life (been here from age 11- now age 23). Now that I'm moving to Jacksonville Florida I will say I'm from NYC by the way of NC.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:10 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,721 times
I guess where you were born is the only place you can say you're from without anybody calling you out for it.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:48 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I moved around a lot as a kid but within same state. Born on KY side of Cincinnati to parents from rural KY. Lived there until age 4. Age 4 to 11 lived where mom was from near Lake Cumberland KY. Age 11 to 19 lived in Lexington. Age 19 to now (36) split between Lexington and Louisville. Last 4 just across river in Indiana though I still work in KY.

I really don't know where I'm from.
A lot of people saying they are from where they grew up... for me it's not. I loved living in the country as a child but I moved away at age 11. When I visit there I'm perceived as a "city person." I was severely bullied at every school and job I had in Lexington and couldn't wait to leave. But living there did expose me to mainstream metro American norms and more exposure to non American cultures. The thing about Louisville is it's bigger and very diverse socially, even accents vary among natives. I never deal with people hear making me feel unwelcome or constantly prodding me about where I'm really from, which has always happened in Lexington. More or less I'm from Louisville even though I'm not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.