Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 06:59 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,499,414 times

Advertisements

I've been watching the series "Route 66" on Prime. The show originally ran in 1960-64 and is based very loosely on Jack Kerouac's "On the Road". Despite its name, the episodes take place all over the US, not just along 66. What was unique about it at the time was that it was largely shot on location: the Philly episodes were shot in Philly, the Phoenix episodes in Phoenix, the Cleveland episodes in Cleveland, etc. One exception was the first episode: set in MS, but shot in KY. One of the things I enjoy about it is that it shows what these cities and towns looked like in the early 60s, as many of the scenes take place on the streets and other public places.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0690470/?ref_=tt_ep_nx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Connecticut is always represented as ultra rich suburbia. Hollywood has decided CT doesn't exist outside of Fairfield County. Much of the state is small towns, even pretty redneck.

I recently binge watched The Office. I kept noticing it was the sunniest Scranton, PA imaginable. Seemingly every outdoor scene was sunny. I looked it up and......yep, it was filmed in LA.
The scenes set in on streets and in neighborhoods show typical SoCal houses, nothing at all like Scranton houses.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I mean most tv shows from then look like California no matter where they are set. That watering hole that opens every episode of Andy Griffith isn’t located near Mayberry.
Watering hole? Mayberry was apparently a dry county so didn't have a watering hole. I think you meant to say "fishin' hole"!

Old 08-21-2019, 08:26 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,542,857 times
Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Much of the movie takes place in and around Muncie, Indiana. So why are there scenes of freeways with toll booths shown? Muncie is nowhere near the Indiana or Ohio Turnpikes.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:05 PM

10,118 posts, read 15,784,451 times
Washington DC is very regularly misrepresented in various TV shows and movies. First off, DC does not have any skyscrapers as building height restrictions prohibit anything higher than the Washington Monument. Yet in movies like Transformers you see streets lined with towering skyscrapers, and you see this too in Homeland which was filmed in Charlotte. Transformers also had a scene in Dulles Airport outside DC that was filmed in Arizona with desert mountains in the background. There was a seen in 24 Season 7 supposedly set in Washington DC with desert mountains because that was filmed in California. I do think Arlington Road and 24 Legacy actually did a good job subbing the Houston suburbs and the Atlanta suburbs for the DC area.

Now here are the WORST movies for poor filming locations ......

1. Transformers - see above

2. Rumble in the Bronx - set in New York City but with snowcapped mountains in the background since it was actually filmed in Vancouver, Canada. I remember Jackie Chan actually said people should just pay attention to the action and not any of this background stuff......how Jackie Chan is one of my favorite actors but I disagree with him here!!!!

3. Romeo Must Die - less egregious than the above, with Vancouver standing in for Oakland and San Francisco but still....

4. Den of Thieves - just very unconvincing passing off the Atlanta area as Los Angeles....interesting that this movie is actually set in Los Angeles but made in Atlanta for budget reasons and tax credits. They seemed to have filmed it and there was clearly a very wintery look, and some of the neighborhoods look decidedly un-California.

Also......The Man on the High Castle on Amazon Prime is mostly set in New York and San Francisco but was filmed in Seattle and Vancouver.....and the dreariness in nearly all the shots are very Seattle.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen to that and it drives me CRAZY.

However, in defense of films set in New Orleans, I have to give a shout out to two that did it well - The Big Easy and Love Song for Bobby Long. Wow, they are both evocative and well done. Also, the miniseries Treme. Wow, it is by far the most realistic show about New Orleans that I have ever seen - and I love it.

Sandra Bullock nails a southern accent - but she has deep southern roots. Same with New Orleans native Harry Connick, Jr., and native southerners Morgan Freeman, Andie McDowell, Dolly Parton, Dennis Quaid, Julia Roberts, Octavia Spencer, Reese Witherspoon, Renee Zellweger, and Matthew McConaughey.

Their accents are music to my ears. Now, Reba McEntire also has a southern accent but she has Oklahoma roots and WOW those are some twangy accents (those and those of Arkansas tend to really twang). A bit much for me to stomach and I'm FROM the south!

I lived in Georgia for ten years through high school and college and went back there for a class reunion a few years ago and all my friends were like, "Oh mah GOODNESS, you hay-ave such a Texas TWANG now. Y'all come listen to her!" There are lots of regional differences between southern accents. The thing I noticed about east Texas accents when I first moved here was that words like "light," "bright," "right," etc sound like "lahght," "brahght," "rahght," etc. I like it but it's different. In Georgia I think people speak more slowly but it's also more melodic. Louisiana has it's own thang going the further south you go! Alabama, Mississippi, and SC sound a lot like Georgia to me. Tennessee to me sounds like a cross between Georgia and Texas. NC and VA don't have as slow a speech pattern as Georgia or SC but I think they still have a genteel sort of drawl to them. The accents in the Appalachians and the Ozarks are both different from the "lowland" accents. Just my personal take.
I do really like NCIS New Orleans.

Also used to live in West Virginia and Logan Lucky actually did WV quite well despite not being filmed there at all.

There's a perennial debate about how accurately Jersey Shore depicts New Jersey and how much it is actually "reality".

Old 08-21-2019, 11:14 PM

OH yes......almost forgot.....the final segment of the original Universal Soldier with Jean Claude Van Damme takes place in rural South Louisiana (specifically Meraux, outside New Orleans) where the character's parents own a farm. The scene was filmed in either Arizona or Utah and we see a dusty field and high desert mountains in the backgrounds....and a driveway lined with cottonwood trees.

On top of that Van Damme is a native French speaker from the French speaking part of Belgium, and they chose to make his character Cajun in order to explain away his European French accent!!!!!!!!! Cajun French and their accents are nothing like European French!!! His character Luc Deveraux, and his character in Hard Target where he also plays a Louisiana Cajun (I think that was his first English language role!) are probably the worst Cajun characters I've seen.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen to that and it drives me CRAZY.

However, in defense of films set in New Orleans, I have to give a shout out to two that did it well - The Big Easy and Love Song for Bobby Long. Wow, they are both evocative and well done. Also, the miniseries Treme. Wow, it is by far the most realistic show about New Orleans that I have ever seen - and I love it.

Sandra Bullock nails a southern accent - but she has deep southern roots. Same with New Orleans native Harry Connick, Jr., and native southerners Morgan Freeman, Andie McDowell, Dolly Parton, Dennis Quaid, Julia Roberts, Octavia Spencer, Reese Witherspoon, Renee Zellweger, and Matthew McConaughey.

Their accents are music to my ears. Now, Reba McEntire also has a southern accent but she has Oklahoma roots and WOW those are some twangy accents (those and those of Arkansas tend to really twang). A bit much for me to stomach and I'm FROM the south!

I lived in Georgia for ten years through high school and college and went back there for a class reunion a few years ago and all my friends were like, "Oh mah GOODNESS, you hay-ave such a Texas TWANG now. Y'all come listen to her!" There are lots of regional differences between southern accents. The thing I noticed about east Texas accents when I first moved here was that words like "light," "bright," "right," etc sound like "lahght," "brahght," "rahght," etc. I like it but it's different. In Georgia I think people speak more slowly but it's also more melodic. Louisiana has it's own thang going the further south you go! Alabama, Mississippi, and SC sound a lot like Georgia to me. Tennessee to me sounds like a cross between Georgia and Texas. NC and VA don't have as slow a speech pattern as Georgia or SC but I think they still have a genteel sort of drawl to them. The accents in the Appalachians and the Ozarks are both different from the "lowland" accents. Just my personal take.
IF you want the most hilariously bad depiction of South Louisiana watch the last 30 minutes of Universal Soldier with Jean Claude Van Damme. Also, according to that movie, his character is supposed to be Cajun and Cajuns supposedly sound like native French speakers from Europe.

Van Damme also plays a hilariously bad Cajun character in Hard Target. When he acted in Sudden Death they just made him a regular American character from Pittsburgh and didn't explain his French accent just like with many of Arnold's movies and his Austrian accent.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:29 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,943,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
OH yes......almost forgot.....the final segment of the original Universal Soldier with Jean Claude Van Damme takes place in rural South Louisiana (specifically Meraux, outside New Orleans) where the character's parents own a farm. The scene was filmed in either Arizona or Utah and we see a dusty field and high desert mountains in the backgrounds....and a driveway lined with cottonwood trees.

On top of that Van Damme is a native French speaker from the French speaking part of Belgium, and they chose to make his character Cajun in order to explain away his European French accent!!!!!!!!! Cajun French and their accents are nothing like European French!!! His character Luc Deveraux, and his character in Hard Target where he also plays a Louisiana Cajun (I think that was his first English language role!) are probably the worst Cajun characters I've seen.
Omg now I'm off to utube to look up this classic van damme movie!!!!

Old 08-22-2019, 12:39 AM

17,633 posts, read 13,452,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Watering hole? Mayberry was apparently a dry county so didn't have a watering hole. I think you meant to say "fishin' hole"!
That Mayberry "Fishin' hole" is actually in Beverly Hills, CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.