Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 09:21 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not necessarily, as some states are smaller than others. Just to put this into perspective, NY and MS are about the same in land size, but as mentioned MS and Brooklyn have similar demographics.
Alternatively, If NYC had Sipp's geography in relation to the most populous city it would look like this:
NYC Black Pop: 494,000+
Brooklyn: 187K
Bronx: 137K
Queens: 98K
Manhattan: 59K
Staten Island: 14K

Jackson contains around 12.7% of the state Black pop, so i just rounded up and applied that to NY state/NYC Black pop. Flip that application for Jackson having NY geography and it would be 682K Blacks in Jackson.

Quote:
I know what you are getting at, but if you are holding on to what you are saying, then what does that say about TN, TX, FL, AR and maybe a couple of other states in the South?[
That TX & FL are Blacker than NY. Or NY is the Black Diaspora Capitol, unless FL is equal to it.

Quote:
Another thing that is interesting is that if you look at the blackest municipality or CDP in any state, I believe that only NY(and perhaps CT) are the states where its blackest place is solidly middle class(Lakeview on Long Island is 74.6% black and its median household income is $115,750 according to 2013-2017 census information).
Byram is 58% Black with median income around 60K, Kearney Park ( CDP) is 81% Black with median income around 78K. Middle class ( especially Black middle class) vary by state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 10:01 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
1. NY is blacker than FL or TX. It just not stereotypically southern black but from my experience i think NY feels blacker and its easy to see and feel that as a northerner.

2. MA might be up there in terms of the blackest locale being solidly middle class. The blackest place in MA is Randolph at ~41% (tied with Brockton) and that's solidly middle class with a median income of 70k. However it also has an 11% poverty rate.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:02 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
1. NY is blacker than FL or TX. It just not stereotypically southern black but from my experience i think NY feels blacker and its easy to see and feel that as a northerner.

2. MA might be up there in terms of the blackest locale being solidly middle class. The blackest place in MA is Randolph at ~41% (tied with Brockton) and that's solidly middle class with a median income of 70k. However it also has an 11% poverty rate.
Correct in regards to both. I think people underestimate black NY on a state level. Just to add illustrate some of the middle class places mentioned, Wheatley Heights is 50.8% black and has a median household income of $111,641; North Valley Stream is 48.1% and $104,541 and Elmont is 47.4% and $94,353(last 2 are actually pluralistically more black). Good to see some places in regards to MS though.

Here is a rural/small town illustration, this is a street view in the village of Sodus, a small community in between Rochester and Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2428...6!9m2!1b1!2i37
Here is some block demographic information in that immediate area, to the right: Census Block 020900-4-006 in Wayne County, New York
Census Block 020900-4-004 in Wayne County, New York
To the left: Census Block 020900-4-003 in Wayne County, New York
Just behind the previous block: Census Block 020900-4-002 in Wayne County, New York
So, even in select smaller communities, if you know where to look, you may be surprised by the black presence that exists. In the case of Sodus, much of it goes back to migrant farm workers from FL, but black people have been in the area since around 1789. https://historicsoduspoint.com/slave...cans-in-sodus/

https://www.fltimes.com/lifestyle/wa...64777e86c.html

That poverty rate is still lower than the national percentage. So, Randolph does seem to be legitimate in that regard.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Correct in regards to both. I think people underestimate black NY on a state level. Just to add illustrate some of the middle class places mentioned, Wheatley Heights is 50.8% black and has a median household income of $111,641; North Valley Stream is 48.1% and $104,541 and Elmont is 47.4% and $94,353(last 2 are actually pluralistically more black). Good to see some places in regards to MS though.

Here is a rural/small town illustration, this is a street view in the village of Sodus, a small community in between Rochester and Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2428...6!9m2!1b1!2i37
Here is some block demographic information in that immediate area, to the right: Census Block 020900-4-006 in Wayne County, New York
Census Block 020900-4-004 in Wayne County, New York
To the left: Census Block 020900-4-003 in Wayne County, New York
Just behind the previous block: Census Block 020900-4-002 in Wayne County, New York
So, even in select smaller communities, if you know where to look, you may be surprised by the black presence that exists. In the case of Sodus, much of it goes back to migrant farm workers from FL, but black people have been in the area since around 1789. https://historicsoduspoint.com/slave...cans-in-sodus/

https://www.fltimes.com/lifestyle/wa...64777e86c.html

That poverty rate is still lower than the national percentage. So, Randolph does seem to be legitimate in that regard.
Indeed. Many people overlookthe Black middle class in the Sipp due to the oversatuarated attention to poverty. Madison is home to the Black bel air of the state.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:32 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Indeed. Many people overlookthe Black middle class in the Sipp due to the oversatuarated attention to poverty. Madison is home to the Black bel air of the state.
I believe that Terry is a small predominantly black and middle class community near Jackson as well. Some relatively recent info. that gives an idea of other places in the state: http://www.usa.com/rank/mississippi-...lst=MS&yr=9000

Old 08-25-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I believe that Terry is a small predominantly black and middle class community near Jackson as well. Some relatively recent info. that gives an idea of other places in the state: Mississippi Median Black Household Income City Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data
Superb! 1,000 pts!

6 of the top 10 are surburbs: Madison, Olive Branch, Terry, Lynchburg, Rawl Springs, & Latimer ( never heard of this place lol)

Another 3 are micropolitan surburbs: New Hope, Caledonia, Collinsville

And 1 CDP which is a military base.

I've been to nearly each one except Latimer, Lynchburg, & Terry. I'm from Columbus and New Hope is next door to the eastside, Caledonia & the Air Force Base ( or the Base locally) are 10-14 mins north on Hwy 45. The Base is technically in ward 6. Didn't realize the Black community in Caledonia had it that high. Always was a typical small town, they have to come to Columbus for some amenities.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:44 AM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Are you sure? Even with Hispanics blacks?
On factfinder, none of the states clock in as high as what is on blackdemographics. If blackdemographics uses Quickfacts, than I do see them going by percentage. It's hard to argue which one is more accurate than the other. That said, the vast majority of the 3.9 million Blacks in Texas live in the eastern half of the state. Probably about 3.6 of the 3.9 million.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:59 AM

700 posts, read 421,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Keyword: Numbers wise

NY will never be Blackity Blackish Black like the 3 Heavyweights : Sipp , GA , & LA
First of all it would be silly to even think a global city like NY would be a blackity city %wise.

What global powerful city across the world do you know has such thing?

Secondly ckthankfod is right. Despite being a global diverse city NYC alone has arguably the largest population of blacks.

I also consider NYC a blackity simply because it has millions of black people and also has the most diverse black population in the nation.

Lots of Black American, Afro Latinos, black Caribbean’s and Africans.

Comparing NYC to Mississippi is actually funny as hell. There is nothing global or elite about Mississippi.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:43 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:

I mean, Texas has the largest black population in the country. If NY is blacker, it cant be by a wide margin.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:00 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
NY is 18% black and Texas is 13% black.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...X,US/PST045218
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.