Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 08:15 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times

Advertisements

What's that saying? If you run into an arse***e in the morning, you ran into an arse***e.
If you ran into arse***es all day long, you were the arse***e.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 05:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This comes up a lot on the R&S forum, particularly its "Atheism & Agnosticism" subforum. I thought at first that people were exaggerating when they said they get asked regularly in the south "what church do you go to?" even by casual acquaintances or in the workplace, with the assumption that everyone goes--or should go--to church. Also the complaints about church people constantly knocking on their doors to prosyletize. But enough people verified that it's really a thing if they live in the south.

That doesn't happen where I live, except for the occasional random JWs, and at 61, I've had them knock on my door maybe five times in my life. Normally nobody would ask you about your religion at work or make the assumption that you do go to church in the first place, but that's likely because we are much more mixed here as far as culture and religion goes.

I worked in a very multicultural office, and some of us DID discuss our religions, but mostly out of interest and learning about one another.
It also doesn't happen where I live (NE Texas).

Old 09-10-2019, 06:50 AM

10 posts, read 10,884 times
I live in the DC metro area and have found that everyone is so go go go that their rudeness comes off as a “I don’t have time for you”

I think the concept of highly populated areas creating a more tense environment is pretty clear in this area. It’s also very transient. People come to find success or work for the government. Less of a home feel every year. Plus, HQ2 Amazon is coming! I’m going to the west coast in the spring hahaha

Old 09-11-2019, 05:55 AM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
LOL, I've lived in NJ all my life. That's not a common thing that "probably" would happen.

One thing that out-of-towners MIGHT feel is "rude" in the NY/NJ metro area is the impatience of people when it's someone's turn to be waited on after standing on line, and they aren't ready. I've seen that in the city at delis at lunchtime. There's a line, and a tourist gets to the front of it and THEN starts hemming and hawing over the overhead menu and thinking about what they might want to order with ten people behind them. THAT is rude. Not everyone is on vacation, and they want to get their lunch in the short time frame they have. If you don't know what you want, step aside and let the people go who ARE ready to order.
You forgot to say, "Well, bless your heart."

Old 09-11-2019, 07:27 AM

27,537 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaeComplex View Post
I live in the DC metro area and have found that everyone is so go go go that their rudeness comes off as a “I don’t have time for you”
This is sort of true. But I tend to be rushed in a laid-back kind of way.

I definitely think it is impolite not hold the door for the person behind you. I also open the door for the person in front of me when they are about to come out. Always say thank you when somebody shows you kindness. When you're taking public transportation, give up your seat for the elderly, disabled, pregnant women... All of those kinds of things.

Back in the day, I used to work at a couple of places where profanity and dirty talk were tolerated. But that is more common in lower-rung jobs. In professional circles, it is not done.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:14 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
I used to work for a Boston-based company and went there a week a month on business. The coworkers were extremely rude. People were rude in traffic. I went back for a vacation earlier this year and found the driver's to be among the rudest I've ever seen.

I was very glad to drive back to Maine that night.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:14 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I used to work for a Boston-based company and went there a week a month on business. The coworkers were extremely rude. People were rude in traffic. I went back for a vacation earlier this year and found the driver's to be among the rudest I've ever seen.

I was very glad to drive back to Maine that night.
Sounds like Maine is a slow and lethargic place to live, with daydreamers and timid drivers behind the wheel. [If Boston, and it's no-nonsense approach and sense of timeliness, is an issue]

Old 09-11-2019, 11:34 AM

657 posts, read 801,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
What a great big collection of stereotypes and bullspit.
Dunno why anyone bothers with him. He consistently writes verbose nonsense to the point I usually skip over his posts.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:43 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It also doesn't happen where I live (NE Texas).
You live in the country right? I remember you posting you didn’t have close neighbors

Old 09-12-2019, 10:00 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
True. It is almost a stereotype now of things New Yorkers complain about, but it's very real. We get these tourists in the city who walk s l o w l y, sometimes HAND-IN-HAND FOUR OR FIVE ACROSS FOR GOD'S SAKE! on the sidewalks in busy areas, seemingly unaware that there are hundreds of people behind them who have somewhere to go. Sometimes they STOP DEAD right in the middle of the sidewalk! They are being extremely rude by blocking everyone self-indulgently, yet they'll be the first to call New Yorkers rude if someone bumps them as they brush past or breaks through their cutesey little hand-holding line.

New York is a pedestrian city, and foot traffic is how most people get around. Slowing the foot traffic down with this obnoxious behavior is akin to throwing your car into park in the middle of a busy road and expecting everyone else to just stop and wait for you to move.

I taught my daughter growing up to always be aware of your surroundings. Apparently, that's not a thing in some places.
Reminds me of the tourists who would block the left side of the escalators in dc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.