U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:21 PM

5,916 posts, read 12,271,030 times

Advertisements

There are some that say Chicago in many ways has more in common with East Coast cities with other midwestern cities.

I see what people are saying by this, however the more I learn about the East Coast, I'm not sure if this is really an accurate comparison.

The reason, is based on the assumption that East Coast cities are world class cities that have superior cultural amenities and diversity.

However, not all east coast cities are "world class." Some of them have gone through the similar rustbelt struggles as Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis. These seem to include (although they may getting better, I don't personally know) Baltimore, many places across New Jersey (Newark, Trenton, etc.) as well as places like Providence and Hartford too I think.
Even Philadelphia has struggled to keep its place as one of Americas great cities.

There seems to be this assumption that midwest except Chicago are rustbuckets, and East Coast cities are world class. However both have cities that have done great, and some that have struggled.

Also, even though D.C. and Boston are in many ways world class cities, they are still much smaller than New York.

So in conclusion, it maybe more appropriate to say Chicago is simply the capital of the midwest in a similar way that NYC is the capital of the east Coast. And not to say "Chicago is more like east coast cities."

Just my thoughts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 11:41 PM

11,289 posts, read 24,863,924 times
Chicago isn't "east coast" and Chicago isn't "rustbucket" ....(i assume you at least mean rust belt??)

I know New York is World Class, but I certainly never heard the other cities on the east coast thought they were world class just because they were physically located on the "east coast". That seems extremely conceded, and I've never noticed that in person.

I live in Chicago, so I'm sure I'm biaseed, but the city hontestly seems pretty aware, conscious, worldly and progressive.....

Old 04-16-2008, 11:51 PM

38,705 posts, read 98,014,338 times
The only reason Chicago is significantly different than other Midwest cities is its sheer size. It's the only truly international city in the Midwest and that's primarily what makes it more like an east coast city. But then take a stroll through, say, the Clearing, Garfield Ridge, Dunning or Norwood Park neighborhoods in Chicago where little "international flair" exists. Not only would you be hard-pressed to tell the difference between those and similar neighborhoods in Milwaukee, Cleveland, or Indianapolis, but you'd never mistake it for Philadelphia, Boston or NYC.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:10 AM

3,968 posts, read 4,197,379 times
I think there is an East Coast bias; that cities are positive/popular are East Coast like. And these have to do largely with the 3 attributes: dense population, great architecture and great public transportation (lots of subways/metros and/or commuter rail). Note that people also say San Francisco is the most East Coast-like California city... see what I mean? I mean, really, is there really anything East Coast about SF other than what I mentioned above? Similarly with Chicago, there are positive aspects that separate Chicago from a 'typical' EC city: Chicago is clean; people are friendly(er); people are more down to earth/less pretentious; people say "pop" not "soda" and pronounce "r's"; streets (generally) are wider, the City is flat, etc., etc.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:16 AM

3,968 posts, read 4,197,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The only reason Chicago is significantly different than other Midwest cities is its sheer size. It's the only truly international city in the Midwest and that's primarily what makes it more like an east coast city. But then take a stroll through, say, the Clearing, Garfield Ridge, Dunning or Norwood Park neighborhoods in Chicago where little "international flair" exists. Not only would you be hard-pressed to tell the difference between those and similar neighborhoods in Milwaukee, Cleveland, or Indianapolis, but you'd never mistake it for Philadelphia, Boston or NYC.
Agreed. As a former Cleveland person, I often hear travelers compare Cleveland to Chicago (often calling it a little Chicago). I never hear Cleveland called a little NY, or Philly, or Boston... Proof? note the recent discussion on the urban Ohio website:

Cleveland vs. Chicago - my comparison

Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 AM

14,319 posts, read 21,368,719 times
There is no east coast city that compares to the mighty city of Chicago with the exception of New York. Chicago and New York are in a league of their own.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:38 AM

20,153 posts, read 31,207,220 times
I get no vibe of the east coast when i visit Chicago. That is strictly midwest.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:44 AM

4,927 posts, read 13,576,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
There is no east coast city that compares to the mighty city of Chicago with the exception of New York. Chicago and New York are in a league of their own.

In reality NYC is in a league of its own.Then its all the rest. Chicago is an amazing town but to keep things in perspective Boston + Philadelphia are closer to Chicago than Chicago is to NYC.

CBD Office space in Square footage.

Manhattan 400 M sq. feet
Chicago 120 M sq. feet
Washington DC 100 M sq. feet
Boston 60 M sq. feet
Philadelphia 50 M sq. feet

Downtown population acoording to Brookings Institute 2000 census

Boston- 79,000
Philadlephia- 78,000
Chicago- 42,000

http://www.fanniemaefoundation.org/p...ownRebound.pdf

Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 13,612,505 times
I think that part of the perception of 'east coast' is a dense city with good public transportation, hence why people make that connection between cities located in other parts of the country that have those characteristics.

Chicago is a Midwestern city, but one must not forget that the Midwest has three distinct parts (in my mind), the southern midwest, which is more orientated to the south, the Great Lakes area (where Chicago and Detroit are located) which have a different orientation, and the areas of the Midwest that are west of the Mississippi that start to have a more western orientation.

The cities of the Great Lakes tend to be a bit older and have a different architectural feel than other Midwestern cities, it is just that Chicago (unlike Detroit, Milwaukee, and Cleveland) is a lot bigger and more a part of the larger public awareness than those other cities, hence some of the confusion (in my mind).

Old 04-17-2008, 09:06 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,603,412 times
I love how Chicagoans like to belittle Boston, Philly, etc. You're city is great but NYC is eons above Chicago. Don't even try to put it on the same level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.