Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 01:33 PM

1,180 posts, read 984,482 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is mixed bag. It is both the largest city and state capital. It doesn't have the flagship University of Georgia which is in Athens. However, it does have two of the most prestigious universities in the state and southeast: Emory University and Georgia Tech. Athens isn't too far from Atlanta metro either. State officials bash Atlanta mostly to win rural votes. But the state realizes that it wouldn't be much without the Atlanta area and has a mostly positive relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 01:46 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
NYU is a private university, not a public flagship state university.
True. I didn't see flagship 'public' only flagship … NYU is easily most well-known though

Old 09-03-2019, 03:22 PM

966 posts, read 725,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
True. I didn't see flagship 'public' only flagship … NYU is easily most well-known though
Ehhh... I think it's a 3-way tie b/w NYU, Columbia & Cornell. All great schools though. NY state has great universities in general (actually the entire Northeast does.)

Old 09-03-2019, 03:30 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Most of Texas hates Austin.
I don't agree with that at all. They may not want to live in Austin, but they don't want it to change. Austin is where they love to go and "play". This town is very promiscuous. It's kinda like Las Vegas - what happens in Austin stays in Austin. Travis County will probably be the 1st county in Texas to legalize recreational marijuana.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:08 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
People in the state of NY, who do not live in NYC, especially those who reside "upstate" NY, hate NYC and consider it a human sewer. They also are highly annoyed that as soon as they tell people their from NY state, people assume they live in NYC. People don't consider that New York City exists in the STATE of NY and that a there's much more to the state than just NYC and its residents. There are approximately 11.5 millions residents in the state of NY who live outside of NYC. Many of which say that you couldn't pay them to move to the city.

People in NYC consider the rest of the state one big patch of mountains, sticks, and hicks.

Overall the state:

Embrace:The flagship school, Columbia University (but not the city its in which its located). Edited to say, I just realized that Columbia is private so doesn't count as a state school. In which case, I'd say Univ. of Buffalo is the flagship. It's embraced by the rest of the state. Not sure that its embraced by NYCers because again, the mountains, sticks and hicks mentality in which city residents view the rest of the state.

Neutral: The capital, Albany NY.
Disdain: The state's largest city, NYC.
I think this is a pretty archaic understanding of the two. Many people who live are from and love both parts of the state. Many native New Yorkers understand and enjoy visiting the smaller cities and towns in upstate NY. Many Upstate New Yorkers love the city. Sure this sentiment persists among some today, but I think it’s stength started to dwindle as the world became more connect through the internet and social media.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:09 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
In Iowa, it's a little interesting.

Des Moines is the largest city, and people generally have a positive impression of it; especially recently. It's not viewed as totally out of step of the rest of the state and controlling of the rural areas. By the same token, I don't know that people who live in other parts of the state take an external sense of pride in it the way Minnesotans do with Minneapolis.

The college flagship is hard to define. The University of Iowa has more popular athletics, and is located in Iowa City. Iowa State University is the largest school in the state and located in Ames. Iowa State people tend to have beef with Iowa City and Iowa people look down on Ames. It would not be accurate to say the whole state views either of these towns in a prideful light, although the fans and alum of each school do. Iowa City has long been a bastion of cultural opportunity, but that's a turn off to a decent chunk of the population.

In general, Iowans have a lot of state pride, but I don't think there's any one city that is universally beloved.
Iowa is a Hawkeye State more than a Cyclone one. It's even the state nickname. I'd be shocked if the fanbase for the Hawkeyes doesn't dwarf the Cyclone base. The iconic logo, the black and gold, the consistently good football program, the more prestigious academic and athletic conference, and the better academic school overall.

Recently, Iowa State has tried (pretty successfully) to close the gap - very enticing out of state tuition prices have helped.

Both Ames and Iowa City are great college towns.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:11 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Chicago: Embrace
Springfield: nobody cares
Champaign/Urbana: Mostly embrace

Old 09-03-2019, 04:12 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
For Pennsylvania:

Flagship: State College and Penn State are absolutely beloved pretty much everywhere in Pennsylvania.

Capital: Harrisburg is pretty neutral, maybe somewhat positive in the last few years.

Largest city: Philadelphia is polarizing. Love it or hate, and these types could be found anywhere. I suppose rural Pennsylvanians are more likely to view it unfavorably, but it is not a monolith.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:51 PM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
For Michigan:

Detroit: The state is kind of weird with Detroit. There's the reality that Detroit is more impoverished than basically any other major city in the country, and there is a fair amount of fear (and possibly racism) that keeps people away. But unlike with Chicago and the rest of Illinois, I think that Michigan in general is accepting of Detroit, and think it's a real part and a representative of the state.

Lansing: I think the rest of the state thinks that Lansing is either too urban (for rural folks), or insanely boring (especially metro Detroit, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo area folks.) Interestingly, a lot of Lansing area folks seem to feel this way as well. I guess that the Flint and Saginaw areas are okay with Lansing.

Ann Arbor: Most of the state has a positive view of Ann Arbor. That is, everyone but Michigan State associated people.
Yeah......the state is kind of weird with Detroit - which is why I'm glad someone else tried to tackle this first.

A lot of Michiganders have a "love-hate" relationship with Detroit. They'll recognize our proud manufacturing history and achievements and are very proud union members, but they don't want be associated with the bad reputation that Detroit has. A lot of fear/racism involved - let's just be honest about that one.

A lot of this is dying out (because a lot of it is really generational - baby boomers who lived through the riots are especially critical of Detroit), but I really can't go as far to say that "Michigan, in general, is accepting of Detroit". I've just run into too many people who really aren't accepting of Detroit and refuse to accept that anything good can come out of Detroit and don't see Detroit as representative of Michigan at all. There's Detroit and there's the rest of Michigan - "the real Michigan" is the attitude of a lot of people. A lot of people joke about giving Detroit to Canada or Ohio. In some circles, there's a strong "us vs them" mentality.

Maybe in 20-30 years more Michiganders will be accepting of Detroit. However - a lot of people, too many people, keep thinking and acting like Detroit is still like it was 20-30 years ago and that's just not true.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:59 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

I also think the state as a whole doesn't embrace USC like it does Clemson due to USC's reputation as an urban, liberal school whereas Clemson is the state's main agricultural university and thus has a presence throughout the state that USC lacks. And since this is the South, Clemson has undoubtedly been more of a source of statewide pride when it comes to athletics, namely its more recent successes with its football program.
I am curious about the USC-Clemson support in South Carolina. Almost every source I can find says that USC has more money and more fan support in the state. I always thought that was interesting since Clemson has the bigger stadium. Also I don't know if any of the sources I've seen are taking into account Clemson's last four or so years of elite success.

Although it has been a lop sided rivalry one way or the other over the last decade or so, I think Clemson-USC is THE BEST in state rivalry in the country besides Bama-Auburn in terms of fan support and intensity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.