Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 05:02 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
No, Iowa City/U of I has always been a bastion of culture/sophistication in a state that isn't cosmopolitan. I think that's a really common dynamic for the city housing the public liberal arts university in a mostly rural state. Lawrence, KS; Columbia, MO; Austin, TX; Bloomington, IN; Morgantown, WV, etc.

Other cities in Iowa have caught up to it, especially Des Moines (which clearly exceeds it today in pretty much any category), but it's still a place that emphasizes that kind of culture heavily in a state that doesn't.

It draws a lot of out-of-state (especially Chicagoland) students, and it's graduates are less likely to stay in Iowa, and I think all of those things are tied.
I’d agree with all except I think Chicagoland kids think they are instate students. Iowa can feel lie an extension of being at your suburban Chicago high school. OK, maybe I exagerate a bit, but UIowa definitely has a strong Chicago feel to it and you can’t go anywhere in Chicagoland without seeing lots of gold and black tigerhawks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 01:42 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I'm in Tennessee.

Knoxville has the state flagship university. Vanderbilt has better academics, but UT-Knoxville is the center of college athletics.

Memphis was the largest city, but was recently passed by Nashville.

Nashville is what people think of when they think of Tennessee, aside from maybe the Smokies tourist ares.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:37 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Here in Louisiana the largest city is New Orleans, and there is a mix of embrace and disdain and some indifference (particularly those in North Louisiana.) But one common trend is people in the rest of the state, including the suburbs don't really want to LIVE there. Some truly dislike the city because of its crime and poverty, its liberal politics, and its permissive culture. There are others who love to visit regularly and love the culture and food in New Orleans, but would never live there because they don't like urban living and don't like the high taxes, crime, traffic, and the faster pace of life.

Baton Rouge is home of LSU as well as the state capital and most people seem indifferent to it. Some people do see it as crime ridden and rough but it doesn't elicit strong reactions like New Orleans. This area also sees a lot of migration from elsewhere in the state not just because of LSU students but because of the petrochemical plants and refineries here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.