Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 06:59 PM

186 posts, read 283,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So would Greenville be a suitable candidate when it comes to size if it consolidated with its county and became a city of 400K+ overnight?
Most of us living in any county but not in the city limits have no desire for a consolidated government whatsoever - the very reason that it was voted down here again and again over the decades. This is not a size contest. There are more important things to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 07:40 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crltn19 View Post
Most of us living in any county but not in the city limits have no desire for a consolidated government whatsoever - the very reason that it was voted down here again and again over the decades.
That has absolutely nothing to do with the point I'm getting at in response to kyle19125's post about Greenville's municipal population.

Quote:
This is not a size contest. There are more important things to worry about.
Yes, like recommending cities to the OP that meet his criteria, with size being one of them.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:43 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
So would Greenville be a suitable candidate when it comes to size if it consolidated with its county and became a city of 400K+ overnight?
No, because the city center would remain the same. By comparison we all know Jacksonville FL is much the same with a consolidated city/county resulting in a population of nearly 900K, however with a downtown area nowhere close to what one would expect of a city that size in terms of population density.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Why did you rule out the Triad? Among the complaints I've heard about the region, "too urban" has never been one of them. I think Greensboro and Winston-Salem could be good options and you should check them out.

Ruling out Knoxville and Chattanooga is a bit baffling to me also. They check just about all of your boxes.

Another option you should explore is the NW Arkansas region (Fayetteville-Rogers-Springdale).
I agree as Winston Salem, Chattanooga, Greensboro and Knoxville (in that order) were among my first thoughts when reading the OP's criteria and similarly baffled. Perhaps the "complaints" heard are bearing a bit too much relevance versus a visit.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
No, because the city center would remain the same.
Exactly. So this begs the question, why are you discounting Greenville as an option for the OP based on its municipal population? If you're arguing that the number of singles living downtown is the important factor to consider, then you should be looking at the population of the city living in the urban core, and if you think Greenville has an urban core similar to that of a "typical" city of 65-70K in the Southeast, you'd be highly mistaken. There are very few metropolitan areas in the 500K-1M range in the Southeast with an anchor city that's experiencing the amount of growth and development downtown as Greenville in recent years; it's pretty impressive and certainly the kind of stuff that appeals to singles. It's actually quite interesting that you're dismissing Greenville as a viable option but also emphasize the role of downtowns in attracting singles. If you want to make this about downtowns, then you've just made the best possible argument *for* Greenville.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Exactly. So this begs the question, why are you discounting Greenville as an option for the OP based on its municipal population? If you're arguing that the number of singles living downtown is the important factor to consider, then you should be looking at the population of the city living in the urban core, and if you think Greenville has an urban core similar to that of a "typical" city of 65-70K in the Southeast, you'd be highly mistaken. There are very few metropolitan areas in the 500K-1M range in the Southeast with an anchor city that's experiencing the amount of growth and development downtown as Greenville in recent years; it's pretty impressive and certainly the kind of stuff that appeals to singles. It's actually quite interesting that you're dismissing Greenville as a viable option but also emphasize the role of downtowns in attracting singles. If you want to make this about downtowns, then you've just made the best possible argument *for* Greenville.
OK, one more time....I'm not basing it on municipal population rather DOWNTOWN population. People in general are much less inclined to have to hop in a car and drive 20-30 minutes or more downtown in order to go to bars/restaurants, so a municipal number is meaningless if the overwhelming majority live outside of that travel circumference. I've been to Downtown Greenville and agree it is pretty/impressive but there is not enough of a twenty-something singles demographic to warrant the OP (or anyone else for that matter) moving there based on the virtues of it's singles scene at this point in time. Perhaps in the future after further population growth and infill development, but certainly not now.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:23 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
How can you have any knowledge of the singles scene in Greenville if you haven't lived in Greenville.

If a person in Greenville couldn't have any luck getting a date, it seems like you gonna struggle to get dates anywhere.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
OK, one more time....I'm not basing it on municipal population rather DOWNTOWN population.
Dude...you know we can read, right? In case you forgot, here's what you said:

Quote:
For any kind of a singles scene I wouldn't be fixated on cities under 100K (Greenville for instance) and would consider the middle tier cities more of a match.
Quote:
The city proper has 68K, that's tiny from a singles perspective and most certainly would limit the "pool" as most singles aren't drawn to life in the burbs.
You clearly disqualified Greenville based on municipal population and said nothing at all about downtown population in particular.

Quote:
People in general are much less inclined to have to hop in a car and drive 20-30 minutes or more downtown in order to go to bars/restaurants, so a municipal number is meaningless if the overwhelming majority live outside of that travel circumference. I've been to Downtown Greenville and agree it is pretty/impressive but there is not enough of a twenty-something singles demographic to warrant the OP (or anyone else for that matter) moving there based on the virtues of it's singles scene at this point in time. Perhaps in the future after further population growth and infill development, but certainly not now.
Except people in the Greenville area actually DO travel 20-30 minutes to hang out downtown all the time. Literally ALL THE TIME.

If Greenville doesn't have enough singles living downtown according to you, then places like Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Lexington shouldn't be options either--unless the OP is including undergrads in his dating pool. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that all of these places are similar in terms of their downtown singles population and if anything, Greenville would have an edge in that department.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:59 AM

333 posts, read 240,176 times
Quote:
I agree as Winston Salem, Chattanooga, Greensboro and Knoxville (in that order) were among my first thoughts when reading the OP's criteria and similarly baffled. Perhaps the "complaints" heard are bearing a bit too much relevance versus a visit.
Based on your Greenville criteria, these should all be out, as well as Nashville, since it's downtown is relatively small. The entire region is probably the most sprawled I have ever been to. I would routinely drive 20+ minutes to hang out with friends/dates downtown. Many young people live in Franklin, Donelson or Bellevue which are essentially just huge car centric suburbs. Even East Nashville is a good 20 minutes through traffic to get downtown .

OP, Greenville would be perfect, as would any of the places listed above. Greensboro/Winston Salem are underrated and Knoxville has a thriving college/post college scene . Great overall quality of life towns .

Old 09-02-2019, 09:08 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-like-to-live/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.