Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 04:56 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times

Advertisements

Early September, but we can have indian summers that can make it as hot as 90s even in late September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 05:21 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,228 times
I guess Labor Day but I never participate in summer activities like visiting public pools, outdoor concerts, etc, so I really have no idea. I prefer to stay in with the a/c going.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:24 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Right around Halloween is the last of it, since that’s about when it can start to either get cool or still be hot. Honestly it mostly goes away in late August at the start of the school year.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
School starts early in Colorado-early to mid-August. Some public outdoor pools close except for weekends until Labor Day or so. It usually starts getting cool in September.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:27 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Since the kids are grown and gone, for us we divide the year into the rainy season (roughly Thanksgiving through March) and the outdoor season. Spring and fall are beautiful here.

We do a lot of camping, starting in March, in and around the northwest (although we've been snowed on in March in the mountains) and schedule camping trips until the end of October or beginning of November, whenever the campgrounds close or the water gets shut off.

We play a lot of pickleball and it moves indoors once the rain starts - unfortunately we have about 5x the outdoor courts as indoor courts and it can get crowded with longer wait times. Often in winter I take indoor gym classes like lap swimming.

In winter the weather radar is my good friend and I schedule long walks in the rain breaks.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-03-2019, 07:56 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
Summer activities rap up around mid September, even though Six Flags is open through Halloween. The last bit of real hot weather is usually over by the third week in October in Metro Atlanta. Leaves are already starting to fall for some reason this year.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:17 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Here in the Philippines, they put up the decorations and start playing Christmas music on September 1.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:37 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
The City of Seattle runs 10 pools. The outdoor ones appear to be open through much of September.

More generally, tourism seems to be pretty heavy for the rest of the September typically. It's getting to be more year-round, but really kicks off in April or so. Cruise ships are basically May through September, which adds a certain weight to those months.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:43 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times
While DC/Baltimore use the traditional Labor Day cutoff, it mainly applies to the weekdays, as weekends in September still have many summer activities available, including the last outdoor concerts at Wolf Trap, Merriwether, Pier Six, as well as the end of MLB season. The change from summer to fall activities is a lot more gradual than what's depicted, outside of school. For instance, Funland amusement park in Rehoboth Beach, DE always closes the first Sunday after Labor Day, and this is also when parking permit restrictions expire. The last outdoor public pool in Columbia, MD closes after the second weekend following Labor Day, even though most close on LD itself. Really, September IMO has the best weather of the year nationwide outside of the deep south; warm enough to enjoy summer activities on most afternoons, yet often cool enough during the evening and morning hours to begin to delve into fall activities like Friday Night high school football games and brisk walks.

I'd say another sign of the change is when performing arts venues host their annual opening night, signifying the beginning of the great indoors. Most of those happen sometime in September, but I find that month (and October) a great time to overlap the indoors and outdoors. However, most people this time of year feel that they've had their fill of summer and are ready for a change, such as more critical movies, TV shows, and books compared to the fluff we've experienced over the past several months.

Still, I find this a strange time of year in the Sun Belt where their "Still Summer" implies that a personal pool is a great idea.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:47 AM

828 posts, read 647,325 times
Labor Day technically here, but really I'd say late August is when it starts to get cool some years. In other years, it has been warm into early-mid September. It's typically cool to cold here from early October through late April (some years early May).

Where I'm from in PA, summer ends on Labor Day, but it's usually nice all the way through September, only getting cool into maybe the very end of September/early October. I'd say it generally was cool there from mid November to maybe late March.

When I lived in SC, most things closed at Labor Day, but honestly it was warm weather generally until early November. Even then, it didn't get cool until mid December through mid to late February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.