Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:50 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times

Advertisements

Omaha fits most of your criteria

Weather- well we have both extremes of hot and cold and we get lots of sun so it seems good for you

Cost of Living- We have plenty of good apartments all over town and we have a low cost of living and rent

Schools- We have at least 2 good schools, though one is private. The first is University of Nebraska Omaha which is a very nice and good school with plenty of nice athletics. Creighton University is a private Catholic school and is very High Quality with great athletics.

Jobs- We have a very powerful job market right now that is constantly expanding.

Transportation- We only have some public transportation in midtown and downtown, nothing really in the suburbs.

People- Most people in Omaha are very friendly and I doubt we would refer to you as a Yankee but who knows. You would Probably fit in here well.

Religion- We have tons of good churches everywhere and we have a non denominational mega church in west Omaha and we have many other churches of the religions you've listed.

Politics- It depends which side of town you live on. West Omaha is republican and Omaha east of 72nd street is democratic. I'm not sure of taxes though, sorry.

Crime- North Omaha is the worst part of the city with crime and the rest of the city is ok.

Landscape- We have plenty of lakes but I'm not sure you can swim in the many of them.

Recreation- In West Omaha we have a massive work out facility there , Lifetime Fitness, we have just about every sport in the city for watching so no problem there and of course the CWS in the Summer so thats good

Last edited by Raphael07; 04-17-2008 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 10:25 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qazzaq9 View Post
Hello everyone. I am still searching for my new home. I see a lot of people here ask for good places to live, and a common response is that more info would be helpful/ needed. So I thought I would take different catagories and put down my thoughts, and what I consider to be important or not. My only guidelines are that I want to be out of the northeast as I live in upstate NY and have most of my life, and I have ruled out raleigh, NC as that is the other town I have lived in and I want to go somewhere totally new. Oh, I am a 30 year old, white male. I have never been married and have no children. So whoever is interested, help me find a new town to call home.

Weather- I need sun. According to weathertoday.net, Binghamton, NY has 52 sunny days a year. Yes you read that right, 52! So for me it doesn't have to be sunny everyday, but I would like a lot more sun. I deal with heat pretty well and cold even better. If its 50 degrees or more outside, I'm in shorts. I don't mind rain or snow, but I'm not a fan of places that are windy all the time. But sun is #1 for weather.

Cost of Living- I am not concerned with housing costs as I will be renting so I would like a town with reasonable rent rates. I do consume a lot of meat and dairy so food costs are important as well. Otherwise I'm not a big spender, so I feel I could make it most places. But lower is always better in my case.

Schools- Right now I only have a high school diploma. That is my biggest regret, and enrolling back into school is the first thing I plan to do when I move. So I need a town that has a good community college and hopefully a 4 year school near by so my credits could transfer and I wouldn't have to move again. I am looking for health sciences if that helps at all. I know that I will have to pay out of state tuition the first year, so reasonable tuition is a big plus

Jobs- The jobs here stink and so does the pay. So I'm guessing just about anywhere is a step up. I will eventually want to work as a personal trainer but I know that might take some time. I have worked in almost every type of job that no college can get you so as long as there are those type of jobs I should be able to find something. But if you know of places where they always seem to be looking for personal trainers and dietitians thats what I'm really looking for.

Transportation- A car will be my primary transportation, but I would like a town with many options. With gas prices the way they are, I would like the option good public transportation. Also drinking and driving is never an option so having public transportation available at night would be a great thing. I may be buying a motorcycle soon, so a cycle friendly town and a good riding season is not necessary, but it would be nice. I also like to walk and inline skate places and smooth roads and sidewalks would also be a plus. I can deal with traffic to an extent, probably more than most, but no jams every single day.

People- I am looking for a place where people are somewhat friendly and polite. I can't stand where I am now. Nobody ever says hello to each other, or even acknowledges you are there. I've had it living this way. I know people are people wherever you go, but I'm just tired of miserable, frowning, people. I figure where there is better living, there will be happier people.

I am an upstate new yorker so no matter where I go I will probably be referred to as a yankee, and I'm okay with that. But I plan to integrate myself with my new town/culture and not just tell everyone how we do things, and why we're better. Unfortunately I have seen many northerners act that way across the country, but I just wanted to say I am not one of them. As far as my personality, I am usually laid back. I like to help others whenever I can, and I would give the shirt off my back to just about anyone. I love a good story, and I would always prefer to listen than to talk. I tend to get along with people, and I don't care about about a persons color, religion, sexual preference etc.

I am not all peaches and cream though, lol. My personal hell would be surrounded by two faced people. I can't stand liars, s**ttalkers, and one-uppers. I also don't like fake, plastic people and all the keeping up with the joneses that goes with it. I am an individual and I enjoy other individuals around me. Like many others up north, you won't have to guess how I feel about you. You will know if I like you or not. I don't want to sound harsh, but we all can't like everyone can we, lol.

Religion- I consider myself a non-denominational Christian. I would love to find a good church in my new home. Up here I haven't found what I'm looking for yet. My thinking is church might be a nice place to meet someone as I am tired of being single. But here people seem to be 8 and younger or 80 and older. Some people in there 20's through 60's would be nice. Also I could see myself in a baptist, lutheran, methodist church etc. All I really look for is a good bible based church, thats helps in the community.

Laws, Politics, Taxes- I am a registered republican, but only so I can vote in a primary. My closest political ideal would be the constitutionalists or some of the libretarian values. To put it bluntly, I believe the government should keep its laws off our bodies and off our properties. I know your not going to find that anywhere, so I guess I like places that put more responsibility on the individual, instead of having laws for every stupid thing people can think of. I love freedom, whats left of it anyway. As far as taxes I have no problem paying my fair share. We get taxed to death in NY its no where near fair. So anywhere with less state tax or even no state tax would be nice. We pay 8% sales too so a lower % is always cool by me.

Crime- I don't need to be isolated from the world, but I don't want an apt. in the middle of a gang war either. I can handle my own in most situations, but I would rather not have to if I had a choice. So I guess I feel like most people would feel I guess. Crime is not my biggest concern.

Landscape, City Size- There are things I like about all different regions of the country. I would like to have either nice lakes or the ocean within driving distance, but other than that I can adapt to wherever I am. City size doesn't matter much either as long as its a good fit for me. This town is a dump, so no more dumps please.

Recreation and Leisure- I am a bodybuilder so good gyms are a must. I am an athlete before anything else so I like a place where there is tons of stuff going on. I can't find a pickup basketball game in this town to save my life. So good courts and people playing on them would be good. I also love to disc golf so the more courses the happier I'll be. We have 0 here. I inline skate so Im always looking for nice parks to skate around. I have also wanted to try inline hockey, but not sure how popular it is around the states. Basically if its athletic I'm down for it. I would especially like an area that has lots of amateur leagues to join in various sports.

I love sporting events as well, so the more teams to go see the better, college or pro. I like neighborhood bars, and live bands. I prefer to shop at mom and pop shops but will go anywhere as long as its not walmart. I will not shop there for any reason, so this town will need more options. I enjoy being around water and the woods as well. Well stocked libraries are really nice to have if possible.

Here are some things I have no use for. Golf, museums, opera, theatre, hunting, fishing, nightclubs, and of course golf, lol.

Well first I want to thank anyone that actually read all this, it is much appreciated. I just wanted to be as specific as I could, but like the title says it is a challenge. But I am dead set on moving in the very near future, and the people on this site are by far the most helpful of anything moving related I have seen. So is there a good town for me, or is the only one called fantasyland?
What kind of courses will you need in college? St. Louis has 3 major Universities: Washington University (if you can get into it), St. Louis University, and University of Missouri St. Louis.

And there's 3 major sports teams, and hopefully MLS in a couple years. As far as St. Louis, The Missouri side is usually more expensive to buy a house in, but Illinois tends to have higher taxes. I can't really comment on gyms (although any major city would have some), but some of the loft developments downtown have their own gyms. I'm not sure how many days are sunny, but it gets pretty warm in summer and pretty cold in winter. If you live downtown or nearby it you can get MetroLink service and in South City they also have buses. Other than that you'd probably need a car.

You can a decent 1 BR sometimes for $600-$800/month depending on the area. Usually downtown and Clayton (a suburb) will cost more. There are a lot of Catholic churches in the area, but finding a good non-denominational church shouldn't be too hard.

Public schools in the city are generally not good, but that doesn't seem to be an immediate concern. If it does eventually come up, there are some affordable private schools, some good Charter and Public schools, and suburban schools are generally alright as well.

The only areas I'd stay clear of are East St. Louis, IL and parts of North St. Louis, especially not being familiar with the area. North St. Louis does have the Crowne Candy Kitchen, which is pretty nice apparently. The Hill is known for Italian restaurants as well.

I think the city tends to be pretty liberal and the suburbs typically more conservative. The rest of the state, other than Kansas City, is typically pretty conservative.

There's Lake of the Ozarks a few hours away. If you wanted to make a weekend of it there's some nice resorts there and some places you can rent a boat or water ski. I would be careful on holidays. There are some drunks out there sometimes.

I'm not sure about jobs. You could narrow your options down to a few cities and search there. How much experience do you have with physical fitness and dietary needs? Have you done those jobs before?

Landscape is somewhat hilly in St. Louis, and I think more flat in Illinois. Missouri can be flat, hilly, and has a number of lakes, so it varies a lot.

Just a suggestion, especially if you like sports.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:27 AM

41 posts, read 136,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
What kind of courses will you need in college? St. Louis has 3 major Universities: Washington University (if you can get into it), St. Louis University, and University of Missouri St. Louis.

And there's 3 major sports teams, and hopefully MLS in a couple years. As far as St. Louis, The Missouri side is usually more expensive to buy a house in, but Illinois tends to have higher taxes. I can't really comment on gyms (although any major city would have some), but some of the loft developments downtown have their own gyms. I'm not sure how many days are sunny, but it gets pretty warm in summer and pretty cold in winter. If you live downtown or nearby it you can get MetroLink service and in South City they also have buses. Other than that you'd probably need a car.

You can a decent 1 BR sometimes for $600-$800/month depending on the area. Usually downtown and Clayton (a suburb) will cost more. There are a lot of Catholic churches in the area, but finding a good non-denominational church shouldn't be too hard.

Public schools in the city are generally not good, but that doesn't seem to be an immediate concern. If it does eventually come up, there are some affordable private schools, some good Charter and Public schools, and suburban schools are generally alright as well.

The only areas I'd stay clear of are East St. Louis, IL and parts of North St. Louis, especially not being familiar with the area. North St. Louis does have the Crowne Candy Kitchen, which is pretty nice apparently. The Hill is known for Italian restaurants as well.

I think the city tends to be pretty liberal and the suburbs typically more conservative. The rest of the state, other than Kansas City, is typically pretty conservative.

There's Lake of the Ozarks a few hours away. If you wanted to make a weekend of it there's some nice resorts there and some places you can rent a boat or water ski. I would be careful on holidays. There are some drunks out there sometimes.

I'm not sure about jobs. You could narrow your options down to a few cities and search there. How much experience do you have with physical fitness and dietary needs? Have you done those jobs before?

Landscape is somewhat hilly in St. Louis, and I think more flat in Illinois. Missouri can be flat, hilly, and has a number of lakes, so it varies a lot.

Just a suggestion, especially if you like sports.
I have worked as a personal trainer before. I need to get certified again as I let my old ones lapse because there are no pt jobs here unless you start your own business.

As far as college, I would be looking into health science courses. I want a 4 year degree, not sure if I would go further than that or not.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:29 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
I have to admit that San Diego is a place I have been looking at since I decided to move the first time right out of high school. I love so many things I hear and read its makes me want to leave tomorrow. But I do have the same concerns that I did then.

1. I have never been to California before. It is one of the few states I haven't seen in person. So there is a healthy amount of anxiety about it. My family is either in NY or Florida so I would be far away from everyone, and a few of them might be hurt by me moving so far away.

2. I read that the cost of living is so high that its just unaffordable unless your wealthy, which I am not. But then a lot of times they are talking about homes and property, and I'm only looking to rent. Any chance you could ballpark what rent might be, and just some everyday expenses? If I could work it I probably would be there this year. I just don't want to have to struggle to live.

3. I only speak english, and I have no idea what the culture is, but are people expected to speak spanish?

4. At first I thought that I would miss the 4 seasons we have around here, but now I realize I can hop on a plane at christmas time if I need to see snow. It would be a great time to visit the family as well. So this is no longer a problem.

But overall I would love to be in the San Diego climate. I am in dire need of sun and daily activities. Thank you for all the great info, and I'll be looking at San Diego again.
Yeah it's pretty far from the family, but it's nice so maybe you can convince the NY family to visit in winter when it's cold and snowy there and the FL family to visit in summer when it's hot and hurricane season there. The airport in SD is centrally located next to downtown so it's pretty easy to get to and through.

I think some people exaggerate about the cost of living, but I've lived in CA my whole life so maybe I'm just used to it. But renting is much cheaper than buying. And even right now our homes priced are taking a dive, median home price in SD fell below $400k for the first time in like 4 or 5 years and will probably keep falling. Lots of foreclosed properties to get a deal on too. Rent for a one bedroom would run anywhere from $700 on the low end to $1500 for a nice apartment. I pay $1400 for a 2 bedroom 8 blocks from the beach, it's small but in SD you don't want to be inside most of the time anyways. Even in the more pricey beach areas you can get a once bedroom for around $1000 month, less the farther inland you go. I would say you shouldn't need more than $1100-1200 to get a decent 1 bedroom apt in a good area, even beach areas. Aside from rent I think gas prices are the thing that are a lot higher here, but if you drive a decently efficient car and don't live too far from work or where you play then you can live with it, right now it's around $3.80 most places. Utilities would probably be cheaper although the rate probably is higher; CA uses the least amount of electricity per capita. My electric and gas in a 2 bedroom near the ocean runs about $55-70 a month year round. I don't have AC, or need it, and only use my heater sometimes at nights in winter, some people I know don't use it at all. Food might be cheaper or the same b/c CA grows most of what it needs. Car insurance shouldn't run you more than $150 month for full coverage, nobody I know pays more than that.

You do not need to know spanish at all to get by here. Even in Tijuana you can get by w/o spanish, at least in the tourist areas. I'm mexican but don't know any spanish and neither does anyone I know, at least fluently. SD is about 25% latino and most of them live south of I-8 and closer to the Mexico border. SD is fairly white for a border city and is a pretty average American type city except with a great location and climate; big military influence here. There is some mexican culture of course but it's pretty average overall, more beach/surfer culture than anything else. SD is nothing like LA or Miami when it comes to latin american culture.

Yeah we don't have 4 seasons, it's pretty much spring like weather year round. 66 is the avg high in January and 78 is the avg high in August, so not too much variation. But if you want to see snow, there are ski resorts about 2.5 hours away. And it snows in the mountains in San Diego several times throughout winter, so after a storm you can drive like 30-45 min to get to some snow. Northern CA also has some really nice mountains and ski resorts.

It's nice here and it seems like you're the type of person that would appreciate what it has to offer, especially if you are active and like being outside.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Chicagoland is another place I never thought to look into. It sounds like there is tons of stuff to do, I like that. What would an average rent look like for a small one bedroom apt in a nice neighborhood?
Depends on the towns, actually. The desireable towns will cost you an arm and a leg, the not-so-desireable towns will be significantly cheaper. For instance, Naperville is a highly-sought-after city, and we paid almost 1,000$ a month for a one bedroom, about 7 years ago. Of course you can find better deals than that, but that just goes to show. We also rented an apartment in St. Charles, which is a great city also, but the neigborhood it was in wasnt "desireable" so the 2 bedroom we rented was $650 a month.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:39 PM

41 posts, read 136,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah it's pretty far from the family, but it's nice so maybe you can convince the NY family to visit in winter when it's cold and snowy there and the FL family to visit in summer when it's hot and hurricane season there. The airport in SD is centrally located next to downtown so it's pretty easy to get to and through.

I think some people exaggerate about the cost of living, but I've lived in CA my whole life so maybe I'm just used to it. But renting is much cheaper than buying. And even right now our homes priced are taking a dive, median home price in SD fell below $400k for the first time in like 4 or 5 years and will probably keep falling. Lots of foreclosed properties to get a deal on too. Rent for a one bedroom would run anywhere from $700 on the low end to $1500 for a nice apartment. I pay $1400 for a 2 bedroom 8 blocks from the beach, it's small but in SD you don't want to be inside most of the time anyways. Even in the more pricey beach areas you can get a once bedroom for around $1000 month, less the farther inland you go. I would say you shouldn't need more than $1100-1200 to get a decent 1 bedroom apt in a good area, even beach areas. Aside from rent I think gas prices are the thing that are a lot higher here, but if you drive a decently efficient car and don't live too far from work or where you play then you can live with it, right now it's around $3.80 most places. Utilities would probably be cheaper although the rate probably is higher; CA uses the least amount of electricity per capita. My electric and gas in a 2 bedroom near the ocean runs about $55-70 a month year round. I don't have AC, or need it, and only use my heater sometimes at nights in winter, some people I know don't use it at all. Food might be cheaper or the same b/c CA grows most of what it needs. Car insurance shouldn't run you more than $150 month for full coverage, nobody I know pays more than that.

You do not need to know spanish at all to get by here. Even in Tijuana you can get by w/o spanish, at least in the tourist areas. I'm mexican but don't know any spanish and neither does anyone I know, at least fluently. SD is about 25% latino and most of them live south of I-8 and closer to the Mexico border. SD is fairly white for a border city and is a pretty average American type city except with a great location and climate; big military influence here. There is some mexican culture of course but it's pretty average overall, more beach/surfer culture than anything else. SD is nothing like LA or Miami when it comes to latin american culture.

Yeah we don't have 4 seasons, it's pretty much spring like weather year round. 66 is the avg high in January and 78 is the avg high in August, so not too much variation. But if you want to see snow, there are ski resorts about 2.5 hours away. And it snows in the mountains in San Diego several times throughout winter, so after a storm you can drive like 30-45 min to get to some snow. Northern CA also has some really nice mountains and ski resorts.

It's nice here and it seems like you're the type of person that would appreciate what it has to offer, especially if you are active and like being outside.
Thank you so much for all the great information, and taking the time to help me out. San Diego seems to have everything I am looking for and then some. One last question. Is San Diego motorcycle friendly. It seems like you could ride year round which is a big plus in my book. Its my way of trying to buck the gas prices. But I know some places drivers are more cautious of riders, and in other places you risk your life every time you ride. I guess I'm just wondering how the roads and drivers tend to be there. Thanks again.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:02 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Chicagoland is another place I never thought to look into. It sounds like there is tons of stuff to do, I like that. What would an average rent look like for a small one bedroom apt in a nice neighborhood?
As for a 1 bedroom in a really nice lakeshore neightborhood your probably lookingat anywhere from $800-$1300. There are cheaper places throughout the city. The city really does have a ton of unique and fun neighborhoods though. From your criteria it seems like it definately be your best fit.

The singles scene, walkable neighborhoods, summer street festivals, bike/running trails along the lakefront, the beach, great food...etc etc

The city is currently growing through another "growth" phase (yes, even in the midst of the housing crisis) and is building all kinds of new projects downtown and along the lakefront. You should definately check it out. It still seems to be one of those cities that's a hidden gem (if thats possible for a city its size).

Old 04-18-2008, 10:17 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
Denver would be a good fit. As well as perhaps Omaha. San Diego is a great option too, albeit expensive. I'd also add maybe a few of the Texan cities to the list.

If you're looking to warm up, though, the Great Lakes states will likely be too cold for you (and probably not sunny enough).

Old 04-19-2008, 07:10 AM

910 posts, read 2,984,318 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. I am still searching for my new home. I see a lot of people here ask for good places to live, and a common response is that more info would be helpful/ needed. So I thought I would take different catagories and put down my thoughts, and what I consider to be important or not. My only guidelines are that I want to be out of the northeast as I live in upstate NY and have most of my life, and I have ruled out raleigh, NC as that is the other town I have lived in and I want to go somewhere totally new. Oh, I am a 30 year old, white male. I have never been married and have no children. So whoever is interested, help me find a new town to call home.

Weather- I need sun. According to weathertoday.net, Binghamton, NY has 52 sunny days a year. Yes you read that right, 52! So for me it doesn't have to be sunny everyday, but I would like a lot more sun. I deal with heat pretty well and cold even better. If its 50 degrees or more outside, I'm in shorts. I don't mind rain or snow, but I'm not a fan of places that are windy all the time. But sun is #1 for weather.

Cost of Living- I am not concerned with housing costs as I will be renting so I would like a town with reasonable rent rates. I do consume a lot of meat and dairy so food costs are important as well. Otherwise I'm not a big spender, so I feel I could make it most places. But lower is always better in my case.

Schools- Right now I only have a high school diploma. That is my biggest regret, and enrolling back into school is the first thing I plan to do when I move. So I need a town that has a good community college and hopefully a 4 year school near by so my credits could transfer and I wouldn't have to move again. I am looking for health sciences if that helps at all. I know that I will have to pay out of state tuition the first year, so reasonable tuition is a big plus

Jobs- The jobs here stink and so does the pay. So I'm guessing just about anywhere is a step up. I will eventually want to work as a personal trainer but I know that might take some time. I have worked in almost every type of job that no college can get you so as long as there are those type of jobs I should be able to find something. But if you know of places where they always seem to be looking for personal trainers and dietitians thats what I'm really looking for.

Transportation- A car will be my primary transportation, but I would like a town with many options. With gas prices the way they are, I would like the option good public transportation. Also drinking and driving is never an option so having public transportation available at night would be a great thing. I may be buying a motorcycle soon, so a cycle friendly town and a good riding season is not necessary, but it would be nice. I also like to walk and inline skate places and smooth roads and sidewalks would also be a plus. I can deal with traffic to an extent, probably more than most, but no jams every single day.

People- I am looking for a place where people are somewhat friendly and polite. I can't stand where I am now. Nobody ever says hello to each other, or even acknowledges you are there. I've had it living this way. I know people are people wherever you go, but I'm just tired of miserable, frowning, people. I figure where there is better living, there will be happier people.

I am an upstate new yorker so no matter where I go I will probably be referred to as a yankee, and I'm okay with that. But I plan to integrate myself with my new town/culture and not just tell everyone how we do things, and why we're better. Unfortunately I have seen many northerners act that way across the country, but I just wanted to say I am not one of them. As far as my personality, I am usually laid back. I like to help others whenever I can, and I would give the shirt off my back to just about anyone. I love a good story, and I would always prefer to listen than to talk. I tend to get along with people, and I don't care about about a persons color, religion, sexual preference etc.

I am not all peaches and cream though, lol. My personal hell would be surrounded by two faced people. I can't stand liars, s**ttalkers, and one-uppers. I also don't like fake, plastic people and all the keeping up with the joneses that goes with it. I am an individual and I enjoy other individuals around me. Like many others up north, you won't have to guess how I feel about you. You will know if I like you or not. I don't want to sound harsh, but we all can't like everyone can we, lol.

Religion- I consider myself a non-denominational Christian. I would love to find a good church in my new home. Up here I haven't found what I'm looking for yet. My thinking is church might be a nice place to meet someone as I am tired of being single. But here people seem to be 8 and younger or 80 and older. Some people in there 20's through 60's would be nice. Also I could see myself in a baptist, lutheran, methodist church etc. All I really look for is a good bible based church, thats helps in the community.

Laws, Politics, Taxes- I am a registered republican, but only so I can vote in a primary. My closest political ideal would be the constitutionalists or some of the libretarian values. To put it bluntly, I believe the government should keep its laws off our bodies and off our properties. I know your not going to find that anywhere, so I guess I like places that put more responsibility on the individual, instead of having laws for every stupid thing people can think of. I love freedom, whats left of it anyway. As far as taxes I have no problem paying my fair share. We get taxed to death in NY its no where near fair. So anywhere with less state tax or even no state tax would be nice. We pay 8% sales too so a lower % is always cool by me.

Crime- I don't need to be isolated from the world, but I don't want an apt. in the middle of a gang war either. I can handle my own in most situations, but I would rather not have to if I had a choice. So I guess I feel like most people would feel I guess. Crime is not my biggest concern.

Landscape, City Size- There are things I like about all different regions of the country. I would like to have either nice lakes or the ocean within driving distance, but other than that I can adapt to wherever I am. City size doesn't matter much either as long as its a good fit for me. This town is a dump, so no more dumps please.

Recreation and Leisure- I am a bodybuilder so good gyms are a must. I am an athlete before anything else so I like a place where there is tons of stuff going on. I can't find a pickup basketball game in this town to save my life. So good courts and people playing on them would be good. I also love to disc golf so the more courses the happier I'll be. We have 0 here. I inline skate so Im always looking for nice parks to skate around. I have also wanted to try inline hockey, but not sure how popular it is around the states. Basically if its athletic I'm down for it. I would especially like an area that has lots of amateur leagues to join in various sports.

I love sporting events as well, so the more teams to go see the better, college or pro. I like neighborhood bars, and live bands. I prefer to shop at mom and pop shops but will go anywhere as long as its not walmart. I will not shop there for any reason, so this town will need more options. I enjoy being around water and the woods as well. Well stocked libraries are really nice to have if possible.

Here are some things I have no use for. Golf, museums, opera, theatre, hunting, fishing, nightclubs, and of course golf, lol.

Well first I want to thank anyone that actually read all this, it is much appreciated. I just wanted to be as specific as I could, but like the title says it is a challenge. But I am dead set on moving in the very near future, and the people on this site are by far the most helpful of anything moving related I have seen. So is there a good town for me, or is the only one called fantasyland?

everyone that moves to columbus Indiana loves it to death.

Weather: we get rain and snow, plenty of that cold weather in the winter. the average temp. is from 30 in january to 75 in july. in the summer we get an average of 65-70% sunshine. not the greatest weather around, but deffinantly not the worst.

Cost of Living: the house prices are a little over state average. the rents are just about average so you could afford an arpartment and there are plenty of them around.

Schools/Jobs: We have great communtiy colleges called ivy tech, indiana buisness, and IUPUC, (Indiana University Purdue University Columbus). If you want something new, those colleges train you for high paying manufacturing industries like cummins Inc. which is a fortunef 500, world wide engine company that is headquarterd in Columbus. there are plenty of high paying jobs around this med. sized town and a great community college to train you for those carriers. if you want to be a personal trainer or dietition, there are plenty of fitness centers and gyms around columbus.

Transportation: the Colum-Bus is our mass transit and it serves well. we have a skate park on the south-east end of town. we could use some more sidewalks someplaces, but in general, they are in good shape. traffic is not a problem in Columbus for most places, but National road is terrible, but can be avoided easily.

People: Columbus has the most friendliest people of any town ive been too. where ever you live, you will probably have a good nieghbor or two. and nobody will critisize you because your a yankee. no one cares that im from detroit or kansas, and i was suprised to see how friendly the people are over here.

Politics: Columbus has public meatings with the mayor and city planners once every month. these meatings invite the citizens to participate in their discussions. ive been to a few myself and they are very interesting. they have you take surveys sometimes and vote for what you think would be a good change. overall, great government and politics in Columbus, Indiana. the taxes arent bad either.

Crime: theres not much crime to worry about. our crime rate is just around the U.S. average and we have great police man on our force so that is deffinantly nothing to worry about.

Landscape: we dont have many lakes, the ones we have are covered with houses, the closest one would be Lake Monroe about a little over an hour away. but not that many lakes around here. Brown county to the west has some beautiful hills though indeed, and thats not too far away.

Recreation: we have an ice rink and you could try inline hockey there. we have so many gyms around Columbus, and we have a skate park, and an indoor rollerblade center. we have basketball courts in our parks and there is always somebody playing basketball. with how easy it is to make a friend here, you could play with a friend.

send me a personal message if you have any questions about Columbus!

Old 04-19-2008, 08:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Omaha would meet your criteria of sunny, but the weather there is a bit extreme. I have lived in Upstate NY and have lots of extended family in Omaha, so I can make that comparison. From personal experience, you may find people in Omaha who make a big deal out of you being from NY. Especially older people. But otherwise, it's a nice city and really a good size, not too big, not too small. You'd be likely to find lots of people to be friends with. Conservative politics, one of the red states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.