Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 10:36 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times

Advertisements

The beach is an obvious one for Charleston but I also enjoyed walking on the sidewalk on the big bridge across the harbor when I lived there especially on windy days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 05:26 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
This is meant to be a positive thread, not a comparison thread so let's keep it positive. For me:

1. Texas - lived in several places. I miss the food. Great food, southern, Mexican, Asian, BBQ. Collectively maybe the best food in the country I miss the landscape in some ways, it's very diverse, something about the chapparel. Ability to wake up and wear short sleeves 10 months a year in most places. The pride, it can be annoying, but all in all it's a positive. The people, most were incredibly nice. Most of all, south Texas football. 99% of those kids weren't going to play in college, but still they played hard and were a part of the community despite their abilities.

2. Clemson - southern food, politeness, college football.

3. DC - iconic monuments, public transportation, unbelievable diversity. Speed of life, it was invigorating.

4. Denver - thin air, clean seasons, great views. Nice people, great day trips into the mountains or other nature sources.
The only things I miss about Arlington, Texas are water, Pei Wei's,Pappadeaux's,P.F. Chang's,Krispy Kreme and Waffle House and that it wasnt isolated.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Really only the Italian restaurants were better, though most of those have closed since we left. The first house was only 1,200 sf, 2BR 1 BA and really old and small yard. The 2nd was only 1,300 sf, 3 BR 1 BA, and almost as old, smaller yard. Now with 3,000 sf, 5 BR 2.5 BA and a large lot with old growth evergreens there is no comparison. Plus the climate here is far more to my liking, very little crime in comparison.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:00 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Chicago: Comprehensive rapid transit*, a strong local identity and culture, European ethnics

DC: Comprehensive rapid transit*, free museums, a lot of actually important national history

Reno: Smaller and more intimate environment making it easier to make lasting friends, clear skies and little precipitation (though not as much that way as you'd think), Old West villages and ghost towns, Nevada in general just being a weird place with an independent mindset

*Yes, we have buses, but many only run for part of the day and there's no easy-to-understand map plastered everywhere saying "here's how you get from where you are to downtown, here's how you get to X neighborhood"

Old 09-14-2019, 09:13 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Of the 14 states I've lived in, only Texas stands out.

I lived in Texas for ten years, and overseas I say I am from Texas and am very proud to do so. Texas people are honest and trustworthy, they era hospitable and generous, they treat people with respect and dignity, without discrimination. All qualities I've tried to instill in myself. They also have an enduring respect for the unique history and geography and nature of Texas and the foundations of their culture.

The rest of the world smiles when I say Texas, and gestures a big hat and six-shooters. I'm fine with that image, it's friendly and good-natures, which is becoming hard to find..

Old 09-14-2019, 09:18 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
The only things I miss about Arlington, Texas are water, Pei Wei's,Pappadeaux's,P.F. Chang's,Krispy Kreme and Waffle House and that it wasnt isolated.
Pappadeaux's. Amazing place. So greatful there's a location in the Chicago metro

Old 09-14-2019, 09:32 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Of the 14 states I've lived in, only Texas stands out.

I lived in Texas for ten years, and overseas I say I am from Texas and am very proud to do so. Texas people are honest and trustworthy, they era hospitable and generous, they treat people with respect and dignity, without discrimination. All qualities I've tried to instill in myself. They also have an enduring respect for the unique history and geography and nature of Texas and the foundations of their culture.

The rest of the world smiles when I say Texas, and gestures a big hat and six-shooters. I'm fine with that image, it's friendly and good-natures, which is becoming hard to find..
Please, Texas ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. Coming from California, Texas actually felt less “American,” if you can even believe it. All over the state, there are lots of trashy, ramshackle-looking areas — it is definitely not a clean, neat-looking place like Iowa or Michigan. And to be quite honest, I did not find people in Texas to be nearly as amicable and polite as they’re purported to be — quite the contrary, actually. People in Arizona, of all places, seem friendlier and more pleasant, on average.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:08 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
1 - Fort Collins
Old Town, CSU campus, laid-back lifestyle.

2 - Dallas-Fort Worth
Literally nothing, although if I have to pick one thing, friends & former coworkers.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:18 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Great thread! I have long thought there is something grest about everywhere if you have the right attitude. ANd as a general matter, I miss the friends I made in every place, natural beauty and the wildlife, which I always appreciate and which fascinates me.

Florida: Cost of living, mild winters, awesome organizations where I vad a chance to volunteer and learn tons, Cuban food, no income tax

California: Pacific ocean, variety of things to do and see at any time (desert and mountains within a day's drive), great food of every variety, public transporation.

Texas: Friendliness, Tex'Mex, no income tax, mild winters. I only lived there a year but would love back - great general combination of cost of living, beauty, things to do, etc.

Pennsylvania: History, public transportation, great memories (went to college here).

England: Family, history, pubs, football (soccer), public transportation, sense of humor to match my own.

Michigan: I grew up in MI and lived there until I wa almost 18 so I miss the usual tings rom that time - friends, a sense of belonging, life in a college town

Old 09-15-2019, 01:34 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Please, Texas ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. Coming from California, Texas actually felt less “American,” if you can even believe it. All over the state, there are lots of trashy, ramshackle-looking areas — it is definitely not a clean, neat-looking place like Iowa or Michigan. And to be quite honest, I did not find people in Texas to be nearly as amicable and polite as they’re purported to be — quite the contrary, actually. People in Arizona, of all places, seem friendlier and more pleasant, on average.

I lived in Texas the pas ten years, yes it is. I lived two years in California, no it ain't. I never said it was clean or neat looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.