Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 11:29 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

This is meant to be a positive thread, not a comparison thread so let's keep it positive. For me:

1. Texas - lived in several places. I miss the food. Great food, southern, Mexican, Asian, BBQ. Collectively maybe the best food in the country I miss the landscape in some ways, it's very diverse, something about the chapparel. Ability to wake up and wear short sleeves 10 months a year in most places. The pride, it can be annoying, but all in all it's a positive. The people, most were incredibly nice. Most of all, south Texas football. 99% of those kids weren't going to play in college, but still they played hard and were a part of the community despite their abilities.

2. Clemson - southern food, politeness, college football.

3. DC - iconic monuments, public transportation, unbelievable diversity. Speed of life, it was invigorating.

4. Denver - thin air, clean seasons, great views. Nice people, great day trips into the mountains or other nature sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 01:01 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Missouri: Family and friends, St. Louis Cardinals, houses with basements, St. Louis specific food (Gooey Butter Cake, Toasted Ravioli "pork steaks", Provel "cheese"), "real" rivers, lightning bugs...nothing else.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:10 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Kansas City: the Nelson Atkins, The Plaza, nice people, spring morel hunting

San Diego: Mexican Food (and that’s it)

West Lafayette, IN: Harry’s Chocolate Shop, Triple X Root Beer

Los Angeles: SO MANY amazing doughnut shops

Old 09-14-2019, 02:32 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Newfoundland. Everything you've heard about Gander on 9/11 is only the tip of the iceberg of friendly and warm society. And I could see icebergs from my house.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
New Orleans - the whole vibe, and OMG the food. The sultry, funky pace, the diversity, the French influence, the architecture, etc.
Tennessee - the gentle kindness of the people, the Appalachians
Ohio - To me, Ohio is really beautiful in a bucolic way. I miss the countryside, the barns and big white farmhouses, and I miss seeing Amish people on a regular basis!
Virginia - this is my favorite state and the one I miss most of all. We lived near the ocean. I miss being in such close proximity to so many different types of beaches. I miss the mountains. I miss the four evenly spaced but mild seasons. I miss the overwhelming feeling of HISTORY. I miss the English vibe, names, etc that is everywhere.
North Carolina - I really miss the people, who are so friendly. I miss the energy that isn't frantic but always present. I miss the beaches and the mountains.
South Carolina - same as above!
Georgia - Wow, the people are so amazingly friendly and pleasant. People of all colors and ethnicities by the way. And again, I miss easy access to both mountains and oceans and beaches.

This isn't all the places I've lived but these are places that I miss - some places I just don't miss, to be honest. So I didn't list them. But that doesn't mean I dislike them - it just means I don't have any nostalgia for them or any desire to revisit them.

Last edited by JMT; 09-14-2019 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: North America only

Old 09-14-2019, 07:23 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

2. Clemson - southern food, politeness, college football.
On a topic about best college towns for football, you suggested SEC college towns but didn't mention Clemson even though you had your location as Clemson at the time.

You said 'Has to be an SEC city, and I'd lean towards one of the towns smaller than Atlanta.'

It is an interesting that a person who misses Clemson because of college football did not think of it as a college football town while living there. Clemson's won 2 of the last 3 national titles and you were living there in this era.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:31 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Cities in the South and West: Health conscious residents, cleanliness, non smokers, music, and seafood

Old 09-14-2019, 07:42 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
I'm over in Clemson a lot but the thing that I miss most about living there is living next to Lake Hartwell and being able to walk on the dikes and hang out at the beach area.

It is also close to a ton of waterfalls including Whitewater Falls which I think is the tallest on the east coast.

Columbo's pizza in Clemson is one of my favorite pizza places in SC.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:59 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
On a topic about best college towns for football, you suggested SEC college towns but didn't mention Clemson even though you had your location as Clemson at the time.

You said 'Has to be an SEC city, and I'd lean towards one of the towns smaller than Atlanta.'

It is an interesting that a person who misses Clemson because of college football did not think of it as a college football town while living there. Clemson's won 2 of the last 3 national titles and you were living there in this era.
1. Im a Texas Longhorn fan.
2. I don’t remember that topic can you link me?
3. Yes I would absolutely think an sec town is among the best college towns. Them or the big ten. The acc is a subpar football conference. Clemson does not have any ranked teams left on schedule. Pathetic.
3b. ^^^ Imagine if I had lived in North Carolina and I said I missed the mountains. Doesn't mean they're the best mountains right?
4. Your comment is not in the spirit of my pos

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 09-14-2019 at 08:18 AM..

Old 09-14-2019, 08:23 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
1. Im a Texas Longhorn fan.
2. I don’t remember that topic can you link me?
3. Yes I would absolutely think an sec town is among the best college towns. Them or the big ten. The acc is a subpar football conference. Clemson does not have any ranked teams left on schedule. Pathetic.
3b. ^^^ Imagine if I had lived in North Carolina and I said I missed the mountains. Doesn't mean they're the best mountains right?
4. Your comment is not in the spirit of my pos
Just make it easier on all of us and admit that Clemson is the best college town and you miss it worse than anything else in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.