Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 09:57 AM

994 posts, read 967,835 times

Advertisements

Assuming you're not married and no kids. What research do you take away as a must have for the best combination of comfort, job salary, QOL, weather, etc ? Have you backed out of a once thought great ideal area because of new extended research you found?

Personally, I love the Phoenix area , but the only reason I haven't relocated permanently is because I don't want to deal with/get stung by Scorpions. Never seen one and some people never do, I don't want to get stung in the shower, in bed, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 11:01 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
Weather is the big one for me...I will never ever move to Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, etc simply due to the heat. I cannot stand breaking into a sweat just walking from the office to the car. I don't think I would let something like pests keep me from moving unless it was like the Australian Outback or something lol. COL is the next biggest...I'm fine living in a HCOL as long as it has the amenities to make it worthwhile...Denver for example does not. Denver is nice but is very HCOL for what amounts to be a pretty standard large-ish city. I also liked the idea of moving to Atlanta, I liked the economy and could tolerate the weather due to autumn and winter being okay, but housing ended up being more expensive than I thought. NOVA is another of the same.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:12 AM

Not much sweating for phoenix or vegas. I was in Phoenix for 2 months. When I came back to the Southeast the humidity was alot worse than I thought it was. Will take 100s and dry vs 80s - 90s and wet any day.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:35 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Assuming you're not married and no kids. What research do you take away as a must have for the best combination of comfort, job salary, QOL, weather, etc ? Have you backed out of a once thought great ideal area because of new extended research you found?

Personally, I love the Phoenix area , but the only reason I haven't relocated permanently is because I don't want to deal with/get stung by Scorpions. Never seen one and some people never do, I don't want to get stung in the shower, in bed, etc.
That's an absolutely ridiculous reason. Millions of people live in AZ and don't get stung by scorpions. There are insects everywhere. Pretty sure there are snakes and gators in SC and yet, there you are.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:45 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,406,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That's an absolutely ridiculous reason. Millions of people live in AZ and don't get stung by scorpions. There are insects everywhere. Pretty sure there are snakes and gators in SC and yet, there you are.
I mean it is true that AZ is one of the craziest wildlife states, with quite a few species which are poisonous (Snakes, Gila Monster, Scorpions, Spiders). But I would agree, I wouldn't let those things be a reason for not moving somewhere. Though the news stories I hear of gators breaking into houses in Florida/Georgia do cause a bit of concern, I have to admit.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:39 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:

The biggest factor for me that I look at in a potential place to live is if it has a good church of Christ that I can feel comfortable attending.I backed out of Austin proper for that reason.Also, I would hesitate to live in a state that has a income tax.Texas is the best fit for me especially Waco and the Austin suburbs.I dont have to work so i dont have to worry about living in major job centers.I could never live in a state that was cold.

Last edited by C24L; 09-25-2019 at 01:38 PM..

Old 09-25-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I've only seen gators in Florida. None up by me in Landrum.i have seen a hand full of snakes between sc/nc/tn on hikes , they didn't pose any threat. I'm not worried about scorpions outside, only inside. They are more common than snakes in your house and harder to see.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:08 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
I’ve spent my whole life here and have never seen a scorpion in the wild with my naked eye. Nor have I been bitten by one, and I’ve been reckless out and about especially when I was a kid. If I took a black light I might see a few on my property but scorpions tend to leave you alone.

I’m mostly content with where I am though I wish Phoenix was much colder. Climate wise I’d probably be better off a state or two north, like say Denver, SLC, Spokane. With the exceptions of SLC and Denver, none of the other cities up there have what I want. I always thought I’d like Seattle but the cold rainy winters are off-putting. I like how here in Phoenix and other places of the Southern US (like Florida) it’s a wet summer, dry winter setup.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:32 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
I lived eight years in Arizona and managed to be scorpion-bite free.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:27 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
I'm not worried about scorpions outside, only inside. They are more common than snakes in your house and harder to see.
Get a second floor or higher apartment!

Lived in Tucson for 7 years and never seen a scorpion inside my apartment. While hiking the numerous trails in Southern Arizona over that time (hundreds of miles), I might have seen scorpions less than 5 times.

I'd be more worried about those Africanized Killer Bees in AZ (just kidding, but not really)!

I hear there's a lot of cougars in the Scottsdale area, they especially like those 30-something-year-old guys, so be very careful popwar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.