Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 10:14 PM

1,840 posts, read 1,468,903 times

Advertisements

In NJ, workers in malls, stores, or restaurants will always say that the summer is less busy for them since everyone is down to the shore. In fact, throughout the whole summer in preparation for the holiday season, malls in North Jersey were renovating escalators like crazy to a point where I had to walk far to access the nearest staircase or elevator.

What is it like in the middle of the country where people have no access to the shore in the summer? Do they have a famous getaway spot, not like a regular vacation, but I mean some sort of equivalent of people staying at the Jersey Shore all summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 10:19 PM

3,187 posts, read 2,306,822 times
Dallas/Fort Worth while not near an ocean front has 8 or so lakes within a 75 mile radius for water recreation.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:26 PM

128,008 posts, read 11,812,674 times
I live near a lake, & we go at least one a week during the hot weather. The Ocean is a few hundred miles away.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:34 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,734,919 times
I would like to say Phoenix is pretty dead in the summers, but honestly it doesn't feel that way anymore. We do have the mountains up north, with difficult access since there's only three freeways each leading to entirely different places, so the freeways are always ridiculously crowded. These freeways (I-17, 89, and 87) lead up to Prescott, Payson, and Flagstaff which would be our equivalent of a Jersey shore.

It's still more noticeably dead than our winter season, where everyone stays here instead of traveling up north or moving back home.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:38 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,244,119 times
Denver people go up to the mountain towns. Some camp, some rent (or own) a condo.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I live near a lake, & we go at least one a week during the hot weather. The Ocean is a few hundred miles away.
A hundred miles away is not extremely bad. That's like the distance between far northwestern NJ and southwestern NJ (the shore). People travel all over NJ to live down the shore.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I would like to say Phoenix is pretty dead in the summers, but honestly it doesn't feel that way anymore. We do have the mountains up north, with difficult access since there's only three freeways each leading to entirely different places, so the freeways are always ridiculously crowded. These freeways (I-17, 89, and 87) lead up to Prescott, Payson, and Flagstaff which would be our equivalent of a Jersey shore.

It's still more noticeably dead than our winter season, where everyone stays here instead of traveling up north or moving back home.
Freeways are still crowded in rural Arizona? Wow and I guess it's because it's only 2 lanes too. I felt that in parts of rural Upstate New York when me and my parents were travelling from Vermont back to New Jersey. There was still enough traffic to go with the flow with.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:04 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,743,935 times
In Pittsburgh, a lot of people still go to the NJ shore, or Ocean City MD or Delaware. 5 to 6 hour drive, not a big deal. for a shorter trip they go to lake erie or a smaller lake to the north. Or the mountains, the Laurel Highlands or Poconos. For a longer trip, the Outer Banks are popular

But the other part of your question, is it less busy in the summer, a solid NO in Pgh, its more busy, lots of festivals and things going on. The well known South Side nightlife district (East Carson Street) is out of control in the summer somehow, even though the college kids are not around. and the rest of the city is generallly buzzing too

Last edited by _Buster; 09-21-2019 at 11:18 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 11:27 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,899,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Freeways are still crowded in rural Arizona? Wow and I guess it's because it's only 2 lanes too. I felt that in parts of rural Upstate New York when me and my parents were travelling from Vermont back to New Jersey. There was still enough traffic to go with the flow with.
It’s more about lack of rural highways due to geography and the fact that 80% of AZ live between Phx and Tucson so there’s a large mass of people moving to the same place with limited infrastructure

Old 09-21-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It’s more about lack of rural highways due to geography and the fact that 80% of AZ live between Phx and Tucson so there’s a large mass of people moving to the same place with limited infrastructure
Well I googled the population for Phoenix and Tuscon and those populations together make up only 2/7 of the population. But I guess the lack of infrastructures like highways end up making the place seem densely populated/full of traffic like New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.