U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2019, 10:44 PM

45 posts, read 19,609 times

Advertisements

I know AL doesn't have a panhandle, but the AL area above FL is what I mean. Would it be better to live on the MS coast (Gulfport , Biloxi etc) and live the coastal life and drive to NOLA for entertainment palm trees etc or live in deep south AL and drive to Panama City for the beach and palm tree fix?

Which area has less crime? Best scenery? Best shopping? Cheaper housing? Don't want to be bored in South Alabama if that is really a possibility. Can't live in FL because I'd have to get re-licenced for my job. I like night life and music and love palm trees. I am an occasional songwriter too. Would like to share my talents live. Love beer and wine too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 08:28 PM

100 posts, read 37,688 times
I think you're talking about places like Dothan, Alabama. I don't know the area well but I think it's your standard small city but within a couple of hours of Florida beaches. In that case you might as well live in Florida.

The real comparison would be the Alabama coastal counties along Mobile Bay (around Fairhope) and Mississippi between Ocean Springs and Bay St. Louis.

For that comparison, I think it's a legitimate contest that depends on the person. Fairhope itself is quaint and historic and fairly affluent as retirees move in as well as upscale suburban households that commute to Mobile. In comparison, Mississippi towns like Ocean Springs, Pass Christian, and Bay St. Louis are directly on the beach and face the ocean (or the Mississippi Sound in this case).

Also, the Mississippi coast towns are real towns in the normal sense (i.e. the full continuum of socioeconomic and cultural groups that cities usually have), as opposed to Alabama coastal towns being more heavily retirees, vacationers, and suburbanites. Both areas are nice. If you want a more new, suburban and vacation-oriented area, that would be Alabama. If you want an area of real towns that happen to be blessed with a coastal location, Mississippi would be better.

The downtown and historic part of Ocean Springs is magazine-beautiful, with giant oaks, tree-lined streets, a cool downtown, and a charming beachfront. There is also a cool bridge (awesome for walking and running) over to downtown Biloxi which is an action-packed area that seems to be getting better and better.

Downtown Gulfport is more of a genuine historic, urban downtown that's been nicely redone and is starting to take off, particularly with the new aquarium opening soon near the waterfront.

On the quieter end, Pass Christian is lined with historic mansions overlooking the beachfront; Bay St. Louis' downtown is the perfect place for waterfront beach bars in a historic community, and Waveland is a cool place if you want to live in a quiet area with little to no traffic, in a house elevated 20 feet above the ground, just a block from the beach.

As far as proximity to New Orleans, but Alabama and Mississippi coastal areas are close. So it depends on how often you want to visit. Mississippi would be about an hour, and Alabama would be more like 2.5 hours.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:30 AM

45 posts, read 19,609 times
Holy smokes that was wonderful! Thanks for explaining!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or