Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is most important to you about a city when choosing to relocate there?
Crime 15 12.93%
Cleanliness 3 2.59%
Friendliness 12 10.34%
Recreational and Leisure activites 39 33.62%
Cost of Living 26 22.41%
other??? 21 18.10%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:28 PM

815 posts, read 1,858,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
New York
Miami
District of Columbia

I have no interest in living anywhere else in the U.S. permanently however places I could live in for a short period would include SF, Boston, Houston, Dallas, LA, Atlanta, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Nashville, Chicago, Seattle in this order. These cities would all be temporary as I would later return to only New York, DC, and Miami. Any place not mentioned, I don't care for.
I feel pretty similar to you. I think it is more of a developed taste. It's not that the other cities are bad, no...not at all. But why settle? I would like to think I would like DC on paper, but my experience there wasn't overwhelming and was 10 years ago at this point. I know it is different now and I know a lot of people there say I would like it.
NYC is definitely more my type of place, though I've lived and currently live elsewhere and have been happy but no place has caught me enough besides NYC that I could live there permanently. I guess you could call me superficial, but it is more of a thirst for life which I think NYC provides like no other. Unfortunately costs are more prohibitive now there than they used to be and lots of people are caught up in the rat race.
I think if my family were by say a Chicago, Boston, SF etc... then those places would seem more enticing to stay in. But since I grew up nowhere close to a major city, I then navigate towards the wanting the best. My parents, like many other peoples parents/grandparents reside in Florida, so that is why Miami, though not competing with NYC per se...comes in to play. The weather/lifestyle doesn't hurt either.
A lot of people don't like that NYC and DC have so many transplant/transients...but ahh...on the other hand that is why they ARE attractive to a transplant such as myself, people are generally more accepting of newcomers and have more cosmopolitan cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 01:36 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,919 times
Right now? Looking at jobs in Tampa and DC. DC would be my preference, but Tampa's not bad either, I found. I'd love Chicago or Seattle, but my line of work doesn't have many options there. Places I'm uninterested in? Georgia and Texas.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:38 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
If I could afford it, I'd live in Monterey, CA. I loved it there when I was in the military. Beautiful setting, near the Big Sur coast and coastal mountains and Pebble Beach.
I think Monterey might be the best small town in the country.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:46 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
I absolutely love this part of California.

Point Reyes Station * West Marin Chamber Visitors Guide to Point Reyes National Seashore Region

It is absolutely beautiful and peaceful there. The green hills, the oak trees, the spectacular coast. Too expensive though.

This and Monterey are my favorite places.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Beautiful Southern California, which I will be moving to this summer (going to San Diego ) Clean, awesome scenery, awesome weather, the beautiful Pacific Ocean, sunshine, palm trees, close to the nations 2nd largest city/metro, low crime, etc etc!

Better take another look at the crime statistics for the San Diego area--

Old 12-04-2014, 05:45 PM

I'm only 3 winning LOTTO tickets away from living in SF...

Old 12-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Lived there for 2 years and couldn't wait to escape the 24/7 traffic, outrageous cost of everything, and the prevailing attitude of most people there as being "just passing through" or "a temporary job location."

Old 12-04-2014, 07:46 PM

107 posts, read 155,046 times
Aside from the poll.

Mississippi. The poorest state, so it needs a lot to do to help these people.
For the same reasons many areas in the Deep South, as well as many well-developed states, like New Jersey or Maryland, but not the affluent areas, but the poorest ones, which are not so respresentative.

And on the other hand, for me, it will be urban New England, Oregon, or Washington. Most irrelegious places as there is a great need for preaching the Gospel and let the people find the true meaning of the life in this consumption and self driven world.

And when the job will be done - then definetely some countryside in Tennessee or Richmond, Virginia. It may even become more Northern, Democratic, secular and liberal than the Boston itself, I would never consider any place more historically accurate for Civil War historian, which I would be glad to become one day.

But this is my personal opinion and I do not encourage you to comment on it, as I would probably not reply.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:44 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
There's a few;
-a certain neighborhood in Chicago
-Savannah
-The Keys
-George Town
-The Garden District in New Orleans

Old 12-07-2014, 03:39 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
I think my choice would be St. Augustine, FL.

It is small and relaxed but still with distinctive charm and history. My most important factor is weather, and the northeast coast of Florida is close to perfection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.