Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state(s) has seen the most demographic change?
Texas 34 40.00%
Massachusetts/Rhode Island 10 11.76%
Florida 15 17.65%
California 22 25.88%
Minnesota 5 5.88%
Nevada 12 14.12%
Georgia 16 18.82%
Arizona 7 8.24%
North Carolina 18 21.18%
Other (please specify) 3 3.53%
Demographic Change has been generally equal in the US 1 1.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 07:09 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Attachment 223371

And the 2018 data is five years estimates (2014-2018), so that more representative of 2016 on average. Imagine what the 2020 census will reveal.

Massachusetts led the nation in the growth of illegal immigrants from 2007-2017. https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/06...on-since-2007/
God damnit Hingham and Cohasset are white af.

I really cannot see MA being any more than 70% White in 2020. It really could be in the 68-70% range.

NY, NJ, FL, GA, AZ look like they will drop below that 50% threshold in the near future, like ext 5 years. If MD isn't alrady there, it probably will be within a year or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 07:42 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
God damnit Hingham and Cohasset are white af.

I really cannot see MA being any more than 70% White in 2020. It really could be in the 68-70% range.

NY, NJ, FL, GA, AZ look like they will drop below that 50% threshold in the near future, like ext 5 years. If MD isn't alrady there, it probably will be within a year or two.
Yea Hingham and Cohasset are places I’ve only herd about through my friend from Mattapan who went to metro in Cohasset and the wealthy kids at my Connecticut college. Outside of that I wouldn’t even know they existed. I went to my friend basketball game in Cohasset once and the. Coached a basketball a game in Hingham. It’s like walking into a Vineyard Vines commercial. It gave off a very stuffy yuck vibe. Just based off the expense and the feel of the towns relative to tiger options in the area? they’ll probably remain extremely white for another 40 years.

Mass was 70.7% white in 2018. Per the Census 1-year estimates. So in all likely hood it’ll be 69-70% in 2020. Maybe less, , estimates usually undercount minority populations relative to official census numbers.

Rhode Island will probably be 70% white. Connecticut will be 65% maybe 64%.

MD is probably Majority minority there right now. I think it was 50.5 or 50.2% in 2018. Nevada is the most recent state to become majority-minority.

AZ GA NJ will probably get there before NY. White people are just leaving NJ at such a furious clip. Florida will be the last to reach that marker.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:05 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
It’s like walking into a Vineyard Vines commercial.
Any the ironic thing here is that, while still very white, Martha’s Vineyard is absolutely less so than Hingham or Cohasset.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:11 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Any the ironic thing here is that, while still very white, Martha’s Vineyard is absolutely less so than Hingham or Cohasset.
Nantucket too. It's 78% white I think (maybe less?)... A lot of Foreign Workers and iirc Low Income Housing.. which is way more diverse.than.you would ever think. It kind of makes you wonder how and why Hingham specifically, being so close to Boston and only two towns away from a minority majority city is literally less than 5% non white. That's kind of bizzare. I used to go to Hingham a lot, I assumed it was 85-90% white now. But damn...

Do any of these crazy rich white towns like Hingham, Cohasset, Weston or Scituate have any affordable housing?

Old 09-01-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Nantucket too. It's 78% white I think (maybe less?)... A lot of Foreign Workers and iirc Low Income Housing.. which is way more diverse.than.you would ever think. It kind of makes you wonder how and why Hingham specifically, being so close to Boston and only two towns away from a minority majority city is literally less than 5% non white. That's kind of bizzare. I used to go to Hingham a lot, I assumed it was 85-90% white now. But damn...

Do any of these crazy rich white towns like Hingham, Cohasset, Weston or Scituate have any affordable housing?
This article says Nantucket is about 30% POC. https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/...outputType=amp

It’s not all that hard to be 95% whit wit the towns always been that white, is pretty far from Boston in a practical sense, is expensive, is classist, and has exclusionary zoning. People move to places like Hingham and Cohasset in part because they like the towns as they are and I think the towns probably work hard to keep it that way.

I think Hingham has a small bit of affordable housing or some larger apartment complex(es).

Here in Maryland even the richest towns/areas have noticeable affordable housing/older garden style apartments. There’s really no escaping income diversity or racial diversity in the Baltimore area. Boston has many impenetrable areas.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:58 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:

Yeah, my uncle lives there and he said there are Dominicans. Maybe not a whole lot, but he lives around some.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yeah, my uncle lives there and he said there are Dominicans. Maybe not a whole lot, but he lives around some.
At the elementary school level there are more Hispanics than whites in Nantucket schools. It’s a generational tidal wave.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:26 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
At the elementary school level there are more Hispanics than whites in Nantucket schools. It’s a generational tidal wave.
Wow! I guess a lot of the white population is transient.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:48 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Yea Hingham and Cohasset are places I’ve only herd about through my friend from Mattapan who went to metro in Cohasset and the wealthy kids at my Connecticut college. Outside of that I wouldn’t even know they existed. I went to my friend basketball game in Cohasset once and the. Coached a basketball a game in Hingham. It’s like walking into a Vineyard Vines commercial. It gave off a very stuffy yuck vibe. Just based off the expense and the feel of the towns relative to tiger options in the area? they’ll probably remain extremely white for another 40 years.

Mass was 70.7% white in 2018. Per the Census 1-year estimates. So in all likely hood it’ll be 69-70% in 2020. Maybe less, , estimates usually undercount minority populations relative to official census numbers.

Rhode Island will probably be 70% white. Connecticut will be 65% maybe 64%.

MD is probably Majority minority there right now. I think it was 50.5 or 50.2% in 2018. Nevada is the most recent state to become majority-minority.

AZ GA NJ will probably get there before NY. White people are just leaving NJ at such a furious clip. Florida will be the last to reach that marker.
To be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if NY is already there or very close, as 2019 information says it is at 55.3%. I say that due to the undercounting of certain groups and white students in NYS public schools make up 43.2% of the students. 38% of public school students outside of NYC are nonwhite. Even when factoring in private schools, many of them are “majority minority”, pretty diverse or are more diverse than people may realize. Within NYC, 33% of private school students are nonwhite and for those outside of NYC, it is 24%. So, those are some reasons why I can see NY crossing under 50% in that regard.

https://data.nysed.gov/

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/NY

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/...rivate-schools

Old 09-01-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if NY is already there or very close, as 2019 information says it is at 55.3%. I say that due to the undercounting of certain groups and white students in NYS public schools make up 43.2% of the students. 38% of public school students outside of NYC are nonwhite. Even when factoring in private schools, many of them are “majority minority”, pretty diverse or are more diverse than people may realize. Within NYC, 33% of private school students are nonwhite and for those outside of NYC, it is 24%. So, those are some reasons why I can see NY crossing under 50% in that regard.

https://data.nysed.gov/

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/NY

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/...rivate-schools
Naw that sounds accurate.

55% white 43% white students is right inline with MA at 71% white 58% white schools 2018.

RI has an even wider gap than MA. CT too. CT is 66% white with 51% white schools.

55% is probably accurate for NY. It’s not an exception in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.