Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state(s) has seen the most demographic change?
Texas 34 40.00%
Massachusetts/Rhode Island 10 11.76%
Florida 15 17.65%
California 22 25.88%
Minnesota 5 5.88%
Nevada 12 14.12%
Georgia 16 18.82%
Arizona 7 8.24%
North Carolina 18 21.18%
Other (please specify) 3 3.53%
Demographic Change has been generally equal in the US 1 1.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 12:45 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

I know many C-D Posters are on the older/middle aged side so impressions of states are often grounded in what you saw growing up or as a young person in your 20s. Often times that gets brought into the discussion ("I was there in the early 90s and..."). even though change happens all around us, when you're not a part of the younger vanguard demographic of change it can be really hard to see whats going on on the ground level.

So whether the change is ethnic, racial, religious or geographical (snowbirds) Id like to hear you alls thoughts. How have the major cities in your state changed or the suburban areas.

Certain states just change demographics alot from generation to generation. Florida, California, Massachusetts/Rhode Island, Minnesota, Texas, are probably the top states for that.

Honorable Mentions to Nevada, Arizona, North Carolina, Georgia.

States that have changed demographically the most in the last 30 years. Either in the national cognizant or just locally.

My own observations:

California:

Has gone from a diverse majority white state to a solid plurality Latino State with a Mexican-american plurality. Central Americans have rapidly increased in California.

The African American Population is pretty small at 5.5% THis is i in contrast to maybe 30 years ago when California Hispanics were more uniformly Mexican

The Asian population was still very large for the time but not nearly 3x larger than the black population like it is now. Asians are 14.6% of California.

It seems California recognize all these changes even if the rest of the country doesnt really.

Florida:

Its gone from a White-Black state to a White-Hispanic state. Much of South Florida has become Caribbean black as opposed to American Black. In addition to this there seems to have been continued an increase northern influence on Florida with older white NY/NJ New England moving down there. Flordia and the rest of the country both seem to acknowledge these changes.

North Carolina: Much the same as Florida but with younger white northerners moving down there and a major increase in Hispanic population especially since 2000. Whereas it was pretty nonexistent before Hispanics are about 10% of North Carolina now. I think these changes are well known in Florida but not nationally

Massachusetts/Rhode Island:

In 1990 Massachusetts was about 89% white Rhode Island was about 90% white. This is not all that different than in 1970 when both states were about 92-94% white.

Massachusetts is 70.7% white as of 2018, and has about 1 million more people than 1989. Its minority population has tripped in the past 30 years. And doubled since 2000. In 2002 Massachusetts public schools were about 76/77% white. Last year they we 59% white. This year they will be 58%.

46% of Massachusetts births in 2019 will be to minorities. In Rhode Island the figure is even lower lively around 51%. In 1990 only one city in Massachusetts was majority minority, in 200 it was 4. Now that numbers stands at around 13 majority-minority cities with many fast approaching that status.

In 1990 Providence was over 60% white. It is now on its second Dominican mayor and is about 45% Latino and 32% white. In addition these states have become less African American and Puerto Rican and much much more West Indian and Dominican. Rhode Island is now the most Dominican state in the nation, and the state with only 39% of its black population having roots in the south. The rest are from the west indies and Africa. In Massachusetts, only 58% of black people are are black american-second lowest after Rhode Island. These two states have some of the smallest shares of Mexican Americans in the country. And Mexican culture is essentially no existent. Yet Rhode Island is the 11th or 12th most Hispanic state in the country. Massachusetts is above the median for racial diversity in the country.

It appears these changes are not known by the outside world. Also I think most of the 8 million residents of these states live in such isolated bubbles they don't fully recognize these changes. Politicians, lawmakers and institution absolutely do, however. But the racial and wealth gap between whites and blacks/Hispanics is just so large there its hard for people to notice- i think. Also racial change is more generational and immigration driven there not as much minorities moving to MA/RI from other places in the US.

I could have included Connecticut but there has been less ethnic change, and the populous cities of CT are not too much different than in 1990, its moreso the suburbs there. Similar to NJ.

Texas:

The state has adopted a Mexican plurality and taken in a TON of immigrants from Asia and Africa compare to 30 years ago. Form what I understand that has dramatically reshaped politics and the feel of Urban Area like Houston Dallas Fort Worth and Austin. I still don't think most people know Texas is majority-minority but It does seem that changes are felt by the local populace. The huge Nigerian and Vietnamese populations are new. As well as the influx of black and white northerners (of all ages) who used to avoid Texas like the plague. Texas' prosperity, like Massachusetts, seems to be driving demographic change.

Minnesota:

Minnesota seems to have embraced and invited more and more diversity. Most notably with a growth in it Somalian population and to a lesser extent with it s Hmong and African American Population. I believe Minnesota and Nevada have the fastest growing share of their populations that identify as black. Minnesota seems to actively want to shed its icy, Scandinavian image and share its growth and prosperity with all kinds of people. Of course when I talk about Demographic change in Minnesota is still confined to the Twin Cities and their immediate suburbs. I think Minnesota's diversification has gotten a lot of spotlight since the Philando Castille tragedy, Senator Omar's rise and some very good basketball players coming out of Minnesota. Minnesota is still very white but seems to be changing quickly amongst the entire working age and youth population. Its another example of a prosperous state attracting a diverse demographic.

Please vote in the poll and comment!

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-01-2019 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 06:01 AM

Due to the lack of comments I think California and Texas are winning largely because they’re big, well known states that saw a huge influx of Mexicans from 1990-2005. To me, there were already a huge number of Mexicans there so it didn’t necessarily change the image or ethos of either state. Then again I wouldn’t know.

To me I think those were already extremely diverse states so it's hard for me to give them title of “the most change”

Old 10-02-2019, 12:29 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,093,659 times
Mississippi: Primary influx of Latinos & few Asians. Latinos would be primary Mexicans whose population increased after the 90s & hurricane Katrina. Mainly Indians & few additional Vietnamese population.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Mississippi: Primary influx of Latinos & few Asians. Latinos would be primary Mexicans whose population increased after the 90s & hurricane Katrina. Mainly Indians & few additional Vietnamese population.
Since 1990 MS has gone from .5% Asian to 1.3%. Missiippi is less than 3% asian. It was 64% white in 1990 and is 59.5% white today.

Mississippi has seen a 4.5% decline in its white share of the population in 29 years compared to 19.3% in Massachusetts (has seen an absolute decline in white population by ~400k) and 20.9% in California.

Thats a tiny influx and change compared to the other states. Numerically. Mississippi is definitively one of the most demographically stagnant states in the country.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:24 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Texas (Mexicans) and California (Mexicans and Asians) have always had significant refugee influx. Florida on the other had outside of the relatively small Cuban influx pre-1990 has been flooded with Puerto Ricans, as well as Central and South Americans the past 25-30 years.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:32 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Since 1990 MS has gone from .5% Asian to 1.3%. Missiippi is less than 3% asian. It was 64% white in 1990 and is 59.5% white today.

Mississippi has seen a 4.5% decline in its white share of the population in 29 years compared to 19.3% in Massachusetts (has seen an absolute decline in white population by ~400k) and 20.9% in California.

Thats a tiny influx and change compared to the other states. Numerically. Mississippi is definitively one of the most demographically stagnant states in the country.
Coastal states will dominate because they have large international (largely non white) in migration and a lot of domestic (mostly white) Outmigration

Old 10-02-2019, 06:37 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:
Due to the lack of comments I think California and Texas are winning largely because they’re big, well known states that saw a huge influx of Mexicans from 1990-2005. To me, there were already a huge number of Mexicans there so it didn’t necessarily change the image or ethos of either state. Then again I wouldn’t know.

To me I think those were already extremely diverse states so it's hard for me to give them title of “the most changeâ€
Yeah but they've expanded their presence so much. It's not just the areas that traditionally had a large Hispanic population, there are large amounts of Mexicans pretty much everywhere in both states now. To the point where in my head, Northern California is not much different from Southern California in that regard.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:41 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,093,659 times
Quote:

Don't forget the hugh ( relative for the Sipp) jump in Mexican population. Overall, it can't be help that it's stagnant per say due to geography & industries.

Also, It's heading to be 40% Black. 20 years or so it be half Black.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:06 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,453 times
Quote:
I know many C-D Posters are on the older/middle aged side so impressions of states are often grounded in what you saw growing up or as a young person in your 20s. Often times that gets brought into the discussion ("I was there in the early 90s and..."). even though change happens all around us, when you're not a part of the younger vanguard demographic of change it can be really hard to see whats going on on the ground level.

So whether the change is ethnic, racial, religious or geographical (snowbirds) Id like to hear you alls thoughts. How have the major cities in your state changed or the suburban areas.

Certain states just change demographics alot from generation to generation. Florida, California, Massachusetts/Rhode Island, Minnesota, Texas, are probably the top states for that.

Honorable Mentions to Nevada, Arizona, North Carolina, Georgia.

States that have changed demographically the most in the last 30 years. Either in the national cognizant or just locally.

My own observations:

California:

Has gone from a diverse majority white state to a solid plurality Latino State with a Mexican-american plurality. Central Americans have rapidly increased in California.

The African American Population is pretty small at 5.5% THis is i in contrast to maybe 30 years ago when California Hispanics were more uniformly Mexican

The Asian population was still very large for the time but not nearly 3x larger than the black population like it is now. Asians are 14.6% of California.

It seems California recognize all these changes even if the rest of the country doesnt really.

Florida:

Its gone from a White-Black state to a White-Hispanic state. Much of South Florida has become Caribbean black as opposed to American Black. In addition to this there seems to have been continued an increase northern influence on Florida with older white NY/NJ New England moving down there. Flordia and the rest of the country both seem to acknowledge these changes.

North Carolina: Much the same as Florida but with younger white northerners moving down there and a major increase in Hispanic population especially since 2000. Whereas it was pretty nonexistent before Hispanics are about 10% of North Carolina now. I think these changes are well known in Florida but not nationally

Massachusetts/Rhode Island:

In 1990 Massachusetts was about 89% white Rhode Island was about 90% white. This is not all that different than in 1970 when both states were about 92-94% white.

Massachusetts is 70.7% white as of 2018, and has about 1 million more people than 1989. Its minority population has tripped in the past 30 years. And doubled since 2000. In 2002 Massachusetts public schools were about 76/77% white. Last year they we 59% white. This year they will be 58%.

46% of Massachusetts births in 2019 will be to minorities. In Rhode Island the figure is even lower lively around 51%. In 1990 only one city in Massachusetts was majority minority, in 200 it was 4. Now that numbers stands at around 13 majority-minority cities with many fast approaching that status.

In 1990 Providence was over 60% white. It is now on its second Dominican mayor and is about 45% Latino and 32% white. In addition these states have become less African American and Puerto Rican and much much more West Indian and Dominican. Rhode Island is now the most Dominican state in the nation, and the state with only 39% of its black population having roots in the south. The rest are from the west indies and Africa. In Massachusetts, only 58% of black people are are black american-second lowest after Rhode Island. These two states have some of the smallest shares of Mexican Americans in the country. And Mexican culture is essentially no existent. Yet Rhode Island is the 11th or 12th most Hispanic state in the country. Massachusetts is above the median for racial diversity in the country.

It appears these changes are not known by the outside world. Also I think most of the 8 million residents of these states live in such isolated bubbles they don't fully recognize these changes. Politicians, lawmakers and institution absolutely do, however. But the racial and wealth gap between whites and blacks/Hispanics is just so large there its hard for people to notice- i think. Also racial change is more generational and immigration driven there not as much minorities moving to MA/RI from other places in the US.

I could have included Connecticut but there has been less ethnic change, and the populous cities of CT are not too much different than in 1990, its moreso the suburbs there. Similar to NJ.

Texas:

The state has adopted a Mexican plurality and taken in a TON of immigrants from Asia and Africa compare to 30 years ago. Form what I understand that has dramatically reshaped politics and the feel of Urban Area like Houston Dallas Fort Worth and Austin. I still don't think most people know Texas is majority-minority but It does seem that changes are felt by the local populace. The huge Nigerian and Vietnamese populations are new. As well as the influx of black and white northerners (of all ages) who used to avoid Texas like the plague. Texas' prosperity, like Massachusetts, seems to be driving demographic change.

Minnesota:

Minnesota seems to have embraced and invited more and more diversity. Most notably with a growth in it Somalian population and to a lesser extent with it s Hmong and African American Population. I believe Minnesota and Nevada have the fastest growing share of their populations that identify as black. Minnesota seems to actively want to shed its icy, Scandinavian image and share its growth and prosperity with all kinds of people. Of course when I talk about Demographic change in Minnesota is still confined to the Twin Cities and their immediate suburbs. I think Minnesota's diversification has gotten a lot of spotlight since the Philando Castille tragedy, Senator Omar's rise and some very good basketball players coming out of Minnesota. Minnesota is still very white but seems to be changing quickly amongst the entire working age and youth population. Its another example of a prosperous state attracting a diverse demographic.

Please vote in the poll and comment!
NC is probably the biggest jump when it comes to Hispanics. Before 1990 Hispanics were non-existent now you how Hispanics all throughout NC even in rural areas. Mississippi is surprisingly cosmopolitan despite its status as being the deep south. Asaians and Jews were is Mississippi in the Jim crow era, and southern Mississippi has a similar ethnic diversity as New Orleans. Florida demographics has almost mirrored New York's tho New York is stronger with the Asian demographic.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:35 AM

I never realized it but yes NY and Florida’s demographics are eerily similar. I haven’t put NY up there because I really do think it’s essentially the same as 1990, just less white. Same for NJ. Always been diverse and had the same image. Growth in minority populations has occurred as expected, where expected.

Florida has seemingly had a role reversal between balck and Hispanics and a huge surge in northerners. And a shift in politics toward the left pretty dramatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.