Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 11:38 AM

668 posts, read 470,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
For NJ, definitely Alpine. I think I'd swap out Bedminster for Short Hills (Millburn)
I'd swap out Bedminster and Short Hills for Cape May....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 11:59 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I guess the question is: does wealthy=fancy? I’m thinking that I might consider Newburyport and Concord fancier than places like Weston, Dover, and Sudbury, because of their larger, more intact, historic downtowns despite not being as uniformly rich.

So my list would be....
- Newburyport
- Concord
- Beacon Hill / Back Bay

Not necessarily in that order.

I agree on the wealthy vs fancy thing. A suburb with a bunch of fortress single family homes is wealthy, not fancy. Fancy to me means the unwashed masses aren't going to get a sniff of the place.

I have to put Edgartown and Nantucket at the top of any Massachusetts list. Where people commute via Gulfstream V. The Yacht Club invites you to join. There's no such thing as a membership application.

With that as criteria, I guess The Country Club in Wellesley is the most exclusive metro Boston club. TB12 and Gisele get invited to join. I wouldn't be able to set foot in the place.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:14 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Texas

Highland Park (Dallas)
The Memorial Villages (Houston)
Tie Westlake (Austin) / Terrell Hills (San Antonio)

Old 10-11-2019, 01:08 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I guess Bellevue, Redmond, and Sammamish in Washington. All three are expensive Eastside Seattle suburbs with attractive lakeside nature areas, and because there are so many jobs in that area, lots of people try to live there if they can afford it.
I think you could add Mercer Island and Medina to that list of eastside suburbs being "fancy". (The late Paul Allen in M.I., and one Bill Gates in Medina, and perhaps J. Bezos, though this is just one of his homes.)

Old 10-11-2019, 01:21 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
I’ll also add my home state Indiana to the list:

Dune Acres
Beverly Shores
Carmel

Dune Acres and Beverly Shores have, by far, the highest home values in the state, because of the beautiful lake views and Chicago proximity, including easy rail access on the South Shore line. Those areas command fairly high prices, in a different league than 99% of Indiana. Carmel is the top suburb in Indiana, but is still nowhere near as desirable as the other two areas.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:44 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Kentucky

Glenview
Mockingbird Valley
Prospect

There are all suburbs of Louisville. Mockingbird Valley is so wealthy it is the TENTH richest per capita income in the ENTIRE USA.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:08 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Kentucky

Glenview
Mockingbird Valley
Prospect

There are all suburbs of Louisville. Mockingbird Valley is so wealthy it is the TENTH richest per capita income in the ENTIRE USA.
Is Prospect more fancy than Anchorage? Not a Louisville native, but people tend to raise their eyebrows when they hear Anchorage. I don't hear Prospect mentioned as much.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:13 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Kentucky

Glenview
Mockingbird Valley
Prospect

Where did you get your data?

I found this. Nowhere in KY made the cut (or several other states).

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...ichest-places/

C-D: Estimated per capita income in 2016: $149,592. Mockingbird Valley is no slouch but it takes $199k+ to make the top 100.

No need to exaggerate to have pride.

ETA: Nevermind. I found your source. Wikipedia.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:12 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,313 times
When I read OP's query for "fanciest cities" I thought he meant city, not just some exclusive locality. For example, post #4 answered with cities in mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Massachusetts:

Cambridge Newton Brookline
Mostly people are offering exclusive suburban places or wealthy enclaves in larger cities. For example, post #8 offers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Louisiana:
Uptown New Orleans/Garden District
Covington/Mandeville
South Baton Rouge (or maybe Central?)

South Carolina:
Charleston, Kiawah Island, Hilton Head
To me a fancy city isn't just a neighborhood or a village but a real city. Charleston SC is a fancy city. Kiawah Is is a fancy gated community not a city at all.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:59 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
When I read OP's query for "fanciest cities" I thought he meant city, not just some exclusive locality. For example, post #4 answered with cities in mind:

Mostly people are offering exclusive suburban places or wealthy enclaves in larger cities. For example, post #8 offers

To me a fancy city isn't just a neighborhood or a village but a real city. Charleston SC is a fancy city. Kiawah Is is a fancy gated community not a city at all.
Well, the cities I added are actual cities, though small in population. Medina, WA and Mercer Island, WA are small cities within the Seattle metro. And house probably more billionaires per capita than anywhere else. But, you may be right, other than the houses of some of these uber-wealthy, there are no other "fancy" attributes as in retail, restaurants, etc. They both are close to Bellevue, the nearest urban core in their area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.