Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 03:38 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
well the us has a lot more people, I don't get your point.
what's stopping US suburbs from building skyscrapers as most Canadian suburbs around large cities are doing.
I would guess desire? Need? We already have quite a few cities with very developed skylines. The only one I'm impressed with is Toronto, but we have this little town called NYC, which is basically packed to the gills with skyscrapers. You're not fitting 550 more skyscrapers there. But economically, Toronto is the capital of Canada. We have NYC, which as I stated is already built out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 04:39 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,857 times
Quote:

Calgary has really matured and solidified itself as English Canada's number 2 destination city after Toronto, sorry Vancouver.
Not even close to being true. Vancouver is still much more of destination city than Calgary. It offers far more for tourists and is much more urban and walkable than Calgary.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:57 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
We aren't a several hundred year old Colonial seaport that was already a large, dense city prior to the advent of automobiles. Apples and oranges.

I love Boston, but I would much rather live here. It's dense enough for me in my condo neighborhood in an older, inner-ring suburb.
I think you can "feel the change" in Atlanta more than Boston, at least to me. Boston has pockets- Seaport most notably- that has grown more than any single neighborhood that comes to mind in ATL. There has probably been more construction in Boston too. But, think about the neighborhood shifts in ATL over the last decade.. Little Five Points, Old Fourth, Cabbagetown, Inman. Then add the Beltline, and what it's done for connectivity.

Just feels like ATL has evolved more. Boston is what it was, and will continue to be what it is. And, I'm not complaining at all.. I love the city. Just don't think it's even possible to inflict that level of change in Boston, as compared to the type of change ATL has seen in recent years. With the exception of Seaport, Boston has kind of bettered what it already had, while Atlanta has truly transformed.

Anyways, Seattle comes to mind. Austin has changed, as has Denver, but not quite like Seattle.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:44 PM

444 posts, read 282,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Not even close to being true. Vancouver is still much more of destination city than Calgary. It offers far more for tourists and is much more urban and walkable than Calgary.
I am talking about for Canadian not tourists. Calgary is the more important city for Canada than Vancouver and draws more people from across English Canada to it, hence why it's number 2

Last edited by Trojan1982; 10-07-2019 at 06:35 PM..

Old 10-07-2019, 06:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
I meant number 2 destination for English Canadians to move to.
Ah, that makes more sense.

Here are some stats.

https://www.macleans.ca/economy/fast...n-canada-2019/

Old 10-07-2019, 06:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
I am talking about for Canadian not tourist. Calgary is the more important city for Canada than Vancouver
More important?

How so?

Old 10-07-2019, 06:31 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I think you can "feel the change" in Atlanta more than Boston, at least to me. Boston has pockets- Seaport most notably- that has grown more than any single neighborhood that comes to mind in ATL. There has probably been more construction in Boston too. But, think about the neighborhood shifts in ATL over the last decade.. Little Five Points, Old Fourth, Cabbagetown, Inman. Then add the Beltline, and what it's done for connectivity.

Just feels like ATL has evolved more. Boston is what it was, and will continue to be what it is. And, I'm not complaining at all.. I love the city. Just don't think it's even possible to inflict that level of change in Boston, as compared to the type of change ATL has seen in recent years. With the exception of Seaport, Boston has kind of bettered what it already had, while Atlanta has truly transformed.

Anyways, Seattle comes to mind. Austin has changed, as has Denver, but not quite like Seattle.

I just saw the Seaport last year for the first time in years, I didn't know where I was! The new highrise, glassy parts of MIT blew me away as well.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:52 AM

394 posts, read 597,668 times
1} Toronto for very obvious reasons.
2} Seattle
3} Montreal
4} Detroit

Both Calgary and Vancouver have slowed down. Their heyday was in the 2000-2010 period when Calgary was booming at an incredible rate and Vancouver was building en masse. Now with the oil price collapse Calgary has a massive glut of downtown office space and Vancouver's money laundering from China which fueled much of the boom has slowed greatly.

Montreal has hit it's stride again and hasn't seen economic or population growth rates at this level in over a generation. It's high tech sector is booming and one of the world's preeminent centres for AI. It also offers something Toronto and especially Vancouver don't...…………….affordable housing making it a magnet for young people.

Detroit started from a rock bottom standing but since it's bankruptcy it has done a complete 180. Detroit, although still having many problems, is in a very unique position in the Western world...……...it's basically starting from scratch. It is in a position to totally change economical & socially from a 20th century rust belt to a 21st century urban experiment.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:59 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I am not saying Boston is better than Atlanta I am saying the city’s urban core has grown more which is justified numerically.

Atlanta’s city growth capture is better than Dallas’s but it is still very suburb heavy.
I agree with this

Old 10-08-2019, 02:02 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times
Nashville has to be included in this. It's transformed itself in the last several years to an upper tier city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.