Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 03:08 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
What does this even mean?
'Ports and other types of gateway centers serve the regions that surround them. The more important gateways serve very large regions while less important hubs serve smaller regions. Hence, it is important to differentiate between the characteristics of a hinterland and a field of influence. As a result of relative location, size, connectivity, and accessibility, cities exert a “gravitational pull” relative to their field of influence. Therefore larger, better connected, and more accessible places serve a much larger area (a hinterland) than less connected, smaller places. Moreover, the more it costs to get to a place in order to do business there, the smaller its field of influence. This means that transportation costs are inversely proportional to the gravitational pull of an urban place.'

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/geog597i_02/node/812

Legit area of study in human geography. That link is a little arcane though; I prefer this succinct explanation from wikipedia:

'In shipping usage, a port's hinterland is the area that it serves, both for imports and for exports. The term is also used to refer to the area around a city or town. More generally, hinterland can refer to the rural area economically tied to an urban catchment area.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Sioux falls SD. A small SD city that gets backed up through the stoplights on weekends from all the out of towners
This is a good one. The chapter on Sioux Falls, about which I knew absolutely nothing going in, in the following book impressed upon me its 'pull' for uh eastern South Dakotans/western Minnesotans/western Iowans:

https://www.amazon.com/Our-Towns-000.../dp/1101871849

Old 12-12-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Like for example people from Rochester will claim wings and Beef of Weck as “our thing” along with Buffalo. Despite not being in the MSA or CSA.
This one isn't really reciprocated. No Buffalonians I know are claiming garbage plates or Kodak/Xerox pride...given that lack of reciprocation, clearly Rochester is Buffalo's hinterland! Heh

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 12-12-2019 at 03:45 PM..

Old 12-12-2019, 07:04 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
This one isn't really reciprocated. No Buffalonians I know are claiming garbage plates or Kodak/Xerox pride...given that lack of reciprocation, clearly Rochester is Buffalo's hinterland! Heh
What is odd is that those sentiments are something I’ve never heard before in regards to people in Rochester claiming wings and Beef on Weck.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:39 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Don't forget the FL panhandle!
Wouldn't that be Mobile or Jacksonville? I can't imagine many people in Crestview, FL going to Atlanta on a semi regular basis the same way people from Anderson, SC or even Boone, NC might.

Last edited by Pincho-toot; 12-15-2019 at 12:51 PM..

Old 12-15-2019, 12:54 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
I would say that Dallas' "hinterlands" go as far west as Eastland county in Texas. That seems to be where it transitions to the Abilene and San Angelo sphere of influence, with Lubbock and Amarillo's to the north. Dallas' hinterlands also go as far north as about Ardmore, Oklahoma. Eastward, it weakens near Longview. Southward, extends maybe around Waco.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:00 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Houston is the big city for the Rio Grande Valley, Southeastern Texas, and Southwestern Louisiana.

In Texas, I think Dallas has a bigger hinterland.
You also forgot about San Antonio and Austin to the Houston list. Many Central and South Texans spend weekends in Houston for the cultural activities unavailable or poor-quality back home and for the ocean.

Also foreigners (and naturalized Americans) in all of Texas (and sometimes neighboring states) have to take time off of work on weekdays to visit their country's consulate in Houston for passport renewal, document authentication, etc. So Houston may have the bigger hinterland after all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.