Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 12:12 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I personally love NYC weather. I like varied weather & seasons. I don't like that CA is mostly the same weather all the time. It's very boring for me there. I like weather bi-polarness of NYC lol.

Last week it was 89 & sunny one day and then the next day was 57 & rain. Love it. Keeps things interesting.
Same. I like having different clothes for different seasons. Seasons feel different and holidays have definitive different atmospheres to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 12:14 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
It's all about persistence. The longer you fight through cold, the more you get used to it. So it's a matter of whether you can hang in there long enough.
True. A lot of people coming to visit a city like NYC or Chicago in winter from places like SoCal or Florida may be shocked at how cold it is in the dead of winter. But even for us, I know the first few weeks of colder temperatures seem much colder than they are because just a few weeks ago it was 85 and humid. Or in this case, it was 95 then down to 55 within one day. The drastic change is what makes the dichotomy of the temperatures so extreme. But the gradual cooling into winter is nice and easier to adjust to. The gradual warming into spring is a feeling that can't be put into words that Californians will never experience and I love that time of year.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:32 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It shouldn't be that much of an adjustment, as it can get mighty cold along the coast in Southern CA in winter, late fall, early spring. Why do so many homes in Southern CA have fireplaces? Just for looks?
Yes, it sure does! In terms of climate, Southern California ain't South Florida, that's for sure! If you drive around Southern California cities with predominately Asian populations such as Garden Grove, Fountain Valley and Westminster, you will observe people walking around in winter coats in September and October.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:57 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Depends on how much snow and cold. Honestly, I could see a rough transition if it's too much snow or cold. I moved from a desert area to an area w/ 80-100 inches snow/year and a lot of cloud cover 6 months/year and couldn't adapt.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:04 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
It has always taken me two years to transition to a climate new to me. The first year I'd think that I was going to die, the second was better, and I had it by the third.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:08 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
I’m about to find out when I move to western NY probably next year. Ok, so I’m from NorCal originally, not SoCal, but still. Without going too far into detail, I am not a fan of cold/snow, and the whole magic of seasons is lost on me except maybe for pretty trees in fall time. When I moved to East Texas, it was a bit shocking to be in a place which fell below 40* with any regularity at all, and I have never really become accustomed to it. I’ll report back in a year and change.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:46 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’m about to find out when I move to western NY probably next year. Ok, so I’m from NorCal originally, not SoCal, but still. Without going too far into detail, I am not a fan of cold/snow, and the whole magic of seasons is lost on me except maybe for pretty trees in fall time. When I moved to East Texas, it was a bit shocking to be in a place which fell below 40* with any regularity at all, and I have never really become accustomed to it. I’ll report back in a year and change.
If you couldn't get used to below 40 in East Texas, good luck with Western New York! It isn't the coldest area in the country, but it competes for being the snowiest. Especially Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse to be specific.
When you report "back in a year and change" I will expect a negative report, unless this part of the N.E. has a mild winter, which is not predicted!

Old 10-12-2019, 10:30 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Jcp is a total beast and the master of his environment. He will buy all sorts of warm clothing, boots, a good windshield scraper, and kill it.

You really have to look at it this way. I've lived in areas where I struggled with heat or cold. You learn how to deal with it.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:40 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
The harder part is adjusting to the change in scenery. Trading the beautiful vibrancy of a subtropical SoCal winter for the colorless, barren North...
Yes, it's just so terrible up here where I live in the winter. I mean, how could anyone stand looking at this all winter?

Old 10-14-2019, 06:37 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,362,554 times
I am a native Orange County CA guy, and moved to Massachusetts and then Chicago. I have to admit just the thought of first winter drove me crazy with anticipation. Then it happened. No big deal. It is like diving into a cold pool of water, at once shocking, and then refreshing. Now I actually look forward to the change in seasons; Thanksgiving feels like Thanksgiving, Christmas feels like Christmas, President's day feels like well, President's day; you get the picture.

I agree with the wise poster who said there are thousands of Canadians (and Chicagoans, NY ers, and Minneapolis people ) who grew up in the Tropics or desert and adjusted just fine. So many Somalis in Minnesota from extreme heat, Puerto Ricans in NY, Mexicans in Chicago and one seem to complain. Think of where you want to be or not be, and buy a coat. It's that easy. Don't overthink it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.