Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 12:26 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times

Advertisements

There are many, many people, who feel superior, based on where they live. It would actually be hilarious, if it wasn't pathetic. Most people can pick and choose, and have done that. If they are where they are, most likely, that's where they want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 03:19 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You can replace all the California references in this post with Texas and it'll still be true.
Yeah, but honestly most people that live in CA actually hate it, and the reality is that many of them are too scared to try anything else, and that's why people have the attitude that Jdawg describes about CA, and you do about TX. It's like they have to justify it to themselves by boasting about it.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I have family that thinks I'm absolutely nuts for living outside of the greater LA area. Like cuckoo.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:59 PM

853 posts, read 336,640 times
Minneapolis gets some California transplants but nobody seems to mind them too much. They fit in pretty well. I have three coworkers who moved here from California. They don't seem to have any issues besides being terrified by driving in snow.

We figure that if a Californian is willing to put up with Minnesota winters we will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:32 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Hey look a thread attacking California by people who said “nobody cares you’re from California. Stop being arrogant”

Old 10-09-2019, 09:10 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I know people who did move there, and then moved back. It's not a utopia...not by any means.
I like my dirty subways and my rats, thank you very much

Old 10-09-2019, 12:08 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
I moved to Texas from Indiana in the mid 1970's and I never caught crap from anybody because of it. I never heard anybody complain about Indiana as a state in general or Hoosiers as an "ethnic" group except other Hoosiers and Kentuckians.

I've noticed what seems to annoy Austin/Texas natives most about newcomers are the ones who they believe are attempting to change Austin into the place they come from. Nobody has ever accused me of trying to turn Austin into Muncie or turn Texas into Indiana.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:44 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
It's pretty simple. I'm from CA and am moving to a smallish town in middle America. People I've met have been very friendly and helpful to me. There aren't very many CA transplants there so they are open minded about me. People just walking by on the sidewalk smile and say hello to me, which would almost never happen where I come from.

I don't expect anyone to roll out a red carpet for me just because I moved there. I don't talk about how wonderful CA is or isn't. I don't compare my new home to my old one. I do let people I meet know how beautiful their town is and how happy I am to be there, which is the truth.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:42 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
North Dakota is accepting of outsiders.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:57 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
You've clearly never lived in a location where the locals care very much if someone is a "dreaded Californian". In most western cities/states hating Californians is a local pastime. I've never even lived in California and I could see the disdain. They're encouraged to change their license plates ASAP.

For the record, I couldn't care less where people are from. I met some amazing Californians while living in the Rockies.

I guarantee no one in Milwaukee would care if you're from California. I feel safe in saying no one in Madison would care either.

Yeah, this. You're going to get the "dreaded Californian" thing in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. Anywhere east of that isn't seeing an influx of Californians driven out by the high housing costs. Nobody would care. On the east coast, the loathing is mostly directed at New Yorkers.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:39 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yeah, this. You're going to get the "dreaded Californian" thing in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. Anywhere east of that isn't seeing an influx of Californians driven out by the high housing costs. Nobody would care. On the east coast, the loathing is mostly directed at New Yorkers.
Can verify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.