Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2019, 12:20 PM

6 posts, read 6,714 times

Advertisements

Which U.S. cities have the best clinics/physicians for complex diagnosis on not easily diagnosed complex illnesses for old people? I am speaking of clinics/physicians who can determine the cause when others could not. Please list in order of ability to access, cost of living at that city and availability of cheap rentals as SECONDARY considerations. People are probably going to say Mayo Clinic which tends to be very profit oriented, not good. Or Cleveland Clinic which has a ton of negative reviews online. I want a place that is easy to access without a lot of obstacles and red tape. Medicare is my insurance, maybe get supplemental later. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 09:13 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
I am going to say Mayo. I have many friends in the twin cities that drive down to Rochester to use them. Despite their expertise, they are not exclusive. Rochester is an affordable, approachable town. I don't think a company being profit oriented is a bad thing. Best of luck!

Old 10-09-2019, 05:49 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
OP, I would suggest a university hospital and given the need for inexpensive secondary housing Duke University Medical Center in Durham NC would be a great option. You can easily find a safe/decent one bedroom for around $800 a month.

https://www.dukehealth.org/locations...medical-center
https://www.dukehealth.org/treatment...scrollPos=1905
https://www.apartments.com/apartment...nq6xhxHgkg813B

Old 10-10-2019, 01:11 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Any places with extensive medical clinics/schools campus.

Rochester's - Mayo
Baltimore's - John Hopkins or UMD
Boston's - Massachusetts General
etc...

Old 10-10-2019, 05:01 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
UCSF Medical Center is excellent in this regard. Well regarded research hospital.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCSF_Medical_Center

Old 10-10-2019, 05:51 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I am going to say Mayo. I have many friends in the twin cities that drive down to Rochester to use them. Despite their expertise, they are not exclusive. Rochester is an affordable, approachable town. I don't think a company being profit oriented is a bad thing. Best of luck!
Mayo is non profit. I know this because I get solicitations from them about every other week asking for money.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:17 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,233 times
University of Michigan Medical.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I was not clear. By "profit motivated" I mean Mayo would not take my Medicare without guarantee of other funds to them. They put money FIRST, patients second. Not good. Also I don't think they are as good as their rep. would suggest. Did NOTHING for my brother with Alzheimers.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
UCSF Medical Center is excellent in this regard. Well regarded research hospital.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCSF_Medical_Center
Why would you put them ahead of other places mentioned, such as Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, curious, don't know that much about them.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:47 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
UCSF is in the same league as Mayo and the others. UCSF is known as a tertiary hospital, they will work to diagnose and treat rare or unusual cases, that standard hospitals have not been able to diagnose or treat. It is a teaching and research hospital. You will need a referral from another physician.

In terms of local costs, San Francisco’s cost of living is very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justabloke321 View Post
Why would you put them ahead of other places mentioned, such as Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, curious, don't know that much about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.