Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 694 times

Advertisements

I am not asking about where I should make my new permanent home, but instead the best place for a young 22 year old woman to have fun for a few months-a year or so.

Recently discovered I am able to graduate WAY sooner than initially planned and I now have less than a year until I am done with college and free to do as I please.

I will have zero debt (if I have any, it'll be very minimal), no lease, no payments on absolutely anything (car lease was paid off in full). I am not close to my family, I have no intimate relationships. I have nothing keeping me here and I am ready to run (currently I live in Michigan)

I want to start planning NOW as I have about 6 months until I need to really know what I need to be doing.

My degree is a useless humanities degree, I eventually plan on going back to school but I just want to take a couple years off to travel and save first. So any job I get if I move won't have anything to do with a degree and will almost certainly be service industry oriented since I have a decade of waitressing under my belt.

Wherever I go, I will likely sign a short term lease or month to month.

There needs to be

-Affordable housing. I have no interest in living in a place like NYC. I do not want to move somewhere I need 3 jobs to afford a studio, I want to enjoy myself
-Plentiful serving jobs. So a downtown, maybe touristy area? A decent sized city
-Night life! This first stop of my travels is to have fun, so young people and things to do!
-DIVERSE. I do NOT want to live in a sea of white people. I want to be surrounded by color, different religions, LGBT, ect.
-Decent weather. I enjoy four seasons but I would be happy with anything that isnt constant snow
-I will have a car but still would like to possibly have public transport but that's not as important
-Nature! Can be forrest or oceans, doesn't matter. Rivers or mountains. Just something earthy.

Really the real question is where should a young single woman with nothing holding her back go to simply have fun- that’s semi affordable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 11:57 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Think about Asheville NC, New Orleans, and Las Vegas for starters. All three might fit the bill, though you’d probably have hang onto the car.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:03 AM

468 posts, read 465,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyruthie22 View Post
I am not asking about where I should make my new permanent home, but instead the best place for a young 22 year old woman to have fun for a few months-a year or so.

Recently discovered I am able to graduate WAY sooner than initially planned and I now have less than a year until I am done with college and free to do as I please.

I will have zero debt (if I have any, it'll be very minimal), no lease, no payments on absolutely anything (car lease was paid off in full). I am not close to my family, I have no intimate relationships. I have nothing keeping me here and I am ready to run (currently I live in Michigan)

I want to start planning NOW as I have about 6 months until I need to really know what I need to be doing.

My degree is a useless humanities degree, I eventually plan on going back to school but I just want to take a couple years off to travel and save first. So any job I get if I move won't have anything to do with a degree and will almost certainly be service industry oriented since I have a decade of waitressing under my belt.

Wherever I go, I will likely sign a short term lease or month to month.

There needs to be

-Affordable housing. I have no interest in living in a place like NYC. I do not want to move somewhere I need 3 jobs to afford a studio, I want to enjoy myself
-Plentiful serving jobs. So a downtown, maybe touristy area? A decent sized city
-Night life! This first stop of my travels is to have fun, so young people and things to do!
-DIVERSE. I do NOT want to live in a sea of white people. I want to be surrounded by color, different religions, LGBT, ect.
-Decent weather. I enjoy four seasons but I would be happy with anything that isnt constant snow
-I will have a car but still would like to possibly have public transport but that's not as important
-Nature! Can be forrest or oceans, doesn't matter. Rivers or mountains. Just something earthy.

Really the real question is where should a young single woman with nothing holding her back go to simply have fun- that’s semi affordable?

Get a job on a cruise ship. I see lots of young people working on them. Cruise ships travel the entire planet with people from all nationalities working on them.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:01 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
A great job idea where you get paid well and travel often is flight attendant. They are also in huge demand! You should definitely look into it.

Anyways to answer your question, affordable places with a lot of nightlife, tourism, and a large service industry are really becoming harder and harder to find. With that said, I think you can make a decent income working at a busy restaurant in any of the following cities while being able to afford rent and splurge a bit:

Austin
Nashville
New Orleans
San Antonio
Las Vegas
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Philadelphia

Austin is probably the most expensive city on that list, and as you can see, many of the recommended cities are in TX. All of these cities have quite a bit of visitors, (tourism and/ or business), and have great nightlife scenes, (especially Nashville, Austin, Vegas, and New Orleans).

Old 10-10-2019, 07:50 AM

453 posts, read 344,682 times
Philly

Old 10-10-2019, 07:58 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
A great job idea where you get paid well and travel often is flight attendant. They are also in huge demand! You should definitely look into it.

Anyways to answer your question, affordable places with a lot of nightlife, tourism, and a large service industry are really becoming harder and harder to find. With that said, I think you can make a decent income working at a busy restaurant in any of the following cities while being able to afford rent and splurge a bit:

Austin
Nashville
New Orleans
San Antonio
Las Vegas
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Philadelphia

Austin is probably the most expensive city on that list, and as you can see, many of the recommended cities are in TX. All of these cities have quite a bit of visitors, (tourism and/ or business), and have great nightlife scenes, (especially Nashville, Austin, Vegas, and New Orleans).
Flight attendants are not really paid that well … I suppose it is subjective but anyone living in my area couldn't make it on flight attendant's salary.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:41 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I'd recommend these cities:

Albuquerque, NM
Tucson, AZ
Chattanooga,TN

For big time touristy, look at New Orleans, Nashville, Memphis, Seattle, Miami, Orlando, Charleston, Savannah.

A wild card suggestion is to join the Peace Corps--takes you to another country and you have room/board paid, and get paid at the end of a 2 year service. Talk about educational and exposing you to another diverse culture. Options are endless there.
You can explore and have fun in another country, getting to know the language and culture, and people.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:34 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
A came here to suggest New Orleans, Vegas, Orlando and Miami in that order. But I do really like the out of the box ideas like flight attendant, cruise ship or peace corps.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:56 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Flight attendants are not really paid that well … I suppose it is subjective but anyone living in my area couldn't make it on flight attendant's salary.
50k-60k is not a bad starting salary for a 20 something yr old. Delta pays their flight attendants well and it is very doable to live solo on that salary in any of these cities mentioned.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:16 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
50k-60k is not a bad starting salary for a 20 something yr old. Delta pays their flight attendants well and it is very doable to live solo on that salary in any of these cities mentioned.
I don't think they make that much to start. Maybe 1-2 airlines pay that to start out, but most are in the 25-30k annually range, for the first few years.

I had a good friend who worked for United, and he started out his first year at like $12-13/hour I think.

After about 8-10 years in, I think your salary goes up to that range, a bit more like 60-70k+. But that varies by airline too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.