U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What big Midwestern city needs more density and walkability the most
Detroit 6 20.69%
Minneapolis 0 0%
St Louis 1 3.45%
Cincinnati 0 0%
Kansas City 5 17.24%
Columbus 6 20.69%
Cleveland 0 0%
Indianapolis 11 37.93%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 05:13 PM
Status: "Coffee is at least 3 of my food groups" (set 7 days ago)

1,952 posts, read 907,920 times

Advertisements

Detroit and Cincinnati are the only ones that have no current or proposed BRT lines, let alone light rail. Cincinnati's topography would make it challenging, and Detroit covers (I think) a larger area so it has even less of an excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 08:37 PM

3,971 posts, read 1,439,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I mean, Detroit was dense. The new infill is contained to 5 or 6 blocks in any direction downtown, and then drops off to zilch.. So, at peak density, it may be better off than Coloumbus or Indianapolis? Probably not even though?

I think the core in Indianapolis is more walkable than Columbus? Maybe?

I ammm Ron Burgundy?
To put in perspective the extent of Detroit's collapse, its peak population density was on par with Philadelphia's.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:39 AM

184 posts, read 73,549 times
I think a very strong case can be made for Indy, Columbus, Detroit and KC.

Columbus' downtown is about 75% surface parking
https://www.google.com/maps/place/61...!4d-82.9881855

Indianapolis has an unfortunate lack of dense, walkable neighborhoods for an older midwestern city of its size
https://statisticalatlas.com/place/I...ce)/Population

https://www.walkscore.com/IN/Indianapolis

Kansas City has too many highways (number 1 highway miles per capita of any US metro) and generally feels far too spaced out.

Detroit, as we all know, is scarred by blight and abandonment, so there is very little that is still dense and walkable left.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:19 AM

2,463 posts, read 1,217,045 times
I did a little research , and here are the psm population density numbers for the cities listed:

Minneapolis - 7,694
Milwaukee - 6,197
St. Louis - 4,984
Cleveland - 4,969
Detroit - 4,851
Columbus - 4,181
Cincinnati - 3,864
Indianapolis - 2,387
Kansas City - 1,559

Old 10-12-2019, 08:46 AM

3,971 posts, read 1,439,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I think a very strong case can be made for Indy, Columbus, Detroit and KC.

Columbus' downtown is about 75% surface parking
https://www.google.com/maps/place/61...!4d-82.9881855

Indianapolis has an unfortunate lack of dense, walkable neighborhoods for an older midwestern city of its size
https://statisticalatlas.com/place/I...ce)/Population

https://www.walkscore.com/IN/Indianapolis

Kansas City has too many highways (number 1 highway miles per capita of any US metro) and generally feels far too spaced out.

Detroit, as we all know, is scarred by blight and abandonment, so there is very little that is still dense and walkable left.
The Vernor Hwy corridor in SW Detroit and a tiny enclave adjacent to Hamtramck on the NE side of the city are the only vestiges of high density/walkability that remain.

It's kind of surreal though, because even with the large swaths of blight and abandonment, it still feels more "urban" than majority of the Sunbelt boomtowns. That's partially because the extensive infrastructure that accommodated its peak population remains in place and you still have a ton of abandoned / burnt out structures artificially filling the aesthetic of the neighborhoods

Old 10-12-2019, 01:02 PM

860 posts, read 1,101,881 times
The thing we have to keep in mind is that Detroit was designed, in part, to be a car town, so it shouldn't be that surprising that people have been encouraged to drive, not walk. (Hello - we are Motor City!) And a lot of the walkable areas don't exist anymore because when highways were built and expanded in the 1960's, they destroyed neighborhoods. It's not like this stuff just happened.

It's really hit or miss if an area is walkable or not.

But why is it desirable for every space of a city to be built up and used? There's something to be said about building urban farms and green spaces for people to enjoy nature.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:34 PM

184 posts, read 73,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
The thing we have to keep in mind is that Detroit was designed, in part, to be a car town, so it shouldn't be that surprising that people have been encouraged to drive, not walk. (Hello - we are Motor City!) And a lot of the walkable areas don't exist anymore because when highways were built and expanded in the 1960's, they destroyed neighborhoods. It's not like this stuff just happened.

It's really hit or miss if an area is walkable or not.

But why is it desirable for every space of a city to be built up and used? There's something to be said about building urban farms and green spaces for people to enjoy nature.
I don't agree with the idea of "urban farms." Urban community gardens or individual gardens are just fine, but large scale farming should be down outside of the city, in the rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or