Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 09:10 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Tons of stuff. Maybe 300 years of Spanish settlement and administration, the church (including the missions and the inquisition), los Hermanos Penitentes, native Indian influences, and the dominance of Spanish language and naming patterns would be a start.
I was referring to how people are in 2019. A lot of NM's Hispanic population is 1st and 2nd generation and have no ties to that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 01:01 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I was referring to how people are in 2019. A lot of NM's Hispanic population is 1st and 2nd generation and have no ties to that stuff.
And you know this how? You seem to have strong opinions about the entire Contry, just exactly how often do you travel to all regions of the U.S. to be so knowledgeable and tuned in to all of these diverse regions as you are claiming?

I'm calling BS here. You're spouting off as some sort of expert, and I suspect you've never been to but a fraction of these places.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:

See, this right here is the issue I have with your take on this topic.

Maybe you've heard me tell this story before but I am going to tell it again. My grandmother's ancestors were from Scotland and northern England. She didn't even really know that but my dad did because he was big into genealogy. Anyway, I grew up thinking that her cooking was just plain ol' southern style cooking. Then when I was in my 50s, I visited the UK and spent a week in northern England. OMG. My grandmother would have LOVED that part of the world and would have fit right in, even though she was a simple American southerner. But the thing that really struck me was the food - so much of it was exactly what my grandmother had been cooking all these years, and her mother and grandmother before her. There were also all sorts of little nuances that I recognized - because I had grown up around them. I never connected them with my grandmother's UK heritage but there they were - 300 years after her ancestors had immigrated to the US.

Here's the really creepy thing - I'm sure I carry a lot of this too and it just seems like "me" but it came from somewhere, and in my case I'm pretty sure that a lot of my own personal traits come from my distant ancestors from Scotland and England.

My friend whose ancestry is Sicilian has all sorts of traditions, idiosyncrasies, etc that I don't have - but she grew up in a very Italian family in the northeast.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:51 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
While some regions are more religious, the younger generation anywhere in the US is not likely to be that religious. With the possible exception of Utah because of LDS.
Have you been to Texas or parts of the South lately?

Old 10-15-2019, 05:56 AM

126 posts, read 97,006 times
The Us is not that diverse.

While we have tons of diversity in big cities like NYC or LA, outside of our major metropolitan areas we hardly have any real diversity.

Ive driven from Miami to NYC and in Miami you can tell its diverse.

As soon as you get out of Miami, its all a red white and blue overdose pretty much until you hit DC where you find diversity, and then onto NYC.

Between Miami and DC is pretty much American style people, American chain restaurants, American suburbs, American looking people wearing American looking clothes, you might find Spanish here and there but English is all over.

Try in Europe, I can drive one hour north of Brussels (where people speak FRench, are catholic, and has tons of muslims, congolese, chinese, indians, people from all over Europe etc) and end up in the netherlands, where people speak Dutch, you have tons of Indonesians and people are protestant.

Not only that, within the span of an hour, the architecture in Europe changes, the style of the people changes, the religion, language, foods change.

Within the span 14 hours in the US everything looks and feels the same, I had to ask a cashier at a burger join right of the highway, which state I was in because I wasnt sure I was in Maryland or Virginia, I didnt even know I had cross state lines. That is how homogeneous the US is.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:01 AM

126 posts, read 97,006 times
If you want to find diversity and places in the US that dont have that American feel. I recommend:

Santa Fe (NM)
New Orleans
Miami
New York city

Those are the only four places in the US that feel "different" from the rest. The rest of the country is pretty monotonous in terms of architecture, culture, language, foods, accents, religions, ways of life.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:09 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiloponeums View Post
If you want to find diversity and places in the US that dont have that American feel. I recommend:

Santa Fe (NM)
New Orleans
Miami
New York city

Those are the only four places in the US that feel "different" from the rest. The rest of the country is pretty monotonous in terms of architecture, culture, language, foods, accents, religions, ways of life.
You could also add:

Native American Reservations
Charleston
Savannah
"Down East" north carolina (see "Hoi Toiders")
Parts of Appalachia
The regional dialect of Pittsburgh
Alaska
Hawaii

I'm certain there are many more

Old 10-15-2019, 06:19 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Wouldn't wealthy urban America have the least differences? Yuppies dress the same pretty much everywhere.

And what makes New Mexican Hispanic so much different from Rhode Island Hispanic? Aside from different country of ancestry and local foods available.

As for the other posts here ; I did not ignore them and I'll respond to them later when I get the chance
1. Youre assuming most of urban america is wealthyyuppies. Its not. And thats not who I am talking about

2. Ethnic ORIGIN is huge and not to be dismissed. Rhode Island Hispanic speaks a different type of Spanish, is much more recent in their arrival having come largely since the 1990s as opposed to hundreds of years ago in NM's case (im aware this is more of a Texas thing, but still- relative to Rhode Island there is more of an entrenched hispanic culture). The Hispanic population is much more liberal, associates more with tropical and black culture whereas in New Mexico Hispanics take on more Native and White culture if anything. The lifestyles are very different with Rhode Island Hispanic being 100% urban.In Rhode Island most Hispanic speak with some form of AAVE similar to NY. Favorite sport tends to be basketball and then baseball. Even hairstyles are different. In Rhode Island many Hispanics have cornrows and dreadlocks due to the thicker more Afro like texture of their hair-another big cultural indicator. And of course the food is night and day different from bag tacos and authentic Mexican in NM. The food is night and day and that pretty defining of a culture...

3. Washington State black has a very different accent than Missouri black. With clear hard 'R's being the norm . In, Missouri there a southern drawl and in the St. Louis specifically there is the here/hurr thing going on. Washington State dominate by basketball culture athletically-whereas in Missouri its all about football. In Seattle black people don't generally or ever really live in all black enclaves and the black in Washington State dont experience segregation to the same extent and their experiences are heavily shaped by this. Id assume they are less religious than those in Missouri.

Furthermore as with most extreme northern state Washingtonian blacks tend to look to other larger states to delve into black culture and connect with family. Black folks roots in Missouri are much longer and deeper than in Washington-there more of a sense of ownership of the state. Black in Missouri are more likely to be immersed in an extended family network and are older on average in age by 4-5 years than those in Washington. In general blacks in the West and New England are much younger on average than in the Southeast or Midwest. Unlike whites Blacks in Rhode Island and Massachusetts (and Washington and Colorado) are younger (median age 30) than their southern counterparts than their counterparts to the south (median Black Age in maryland is 37)Put it this way a black family reunion is much more likely to happen in Missouri or California than Washington.

Then theres music. Washington State does not have a single Urban-formatted station rather they have 'Rhythmic stations' which are station that play hip hop and some top 40 but no soul or slower RnB and do not do community updates and the Gospel hours etc. Missouri has several of these. That weakens the bonds in the black community and alters how information and events are received. Further more its a different tyle of hip hop with different popular artist (Ll Mosey and Mozzy are very popular in the Northwest starting at SF and up-whereas 9/10 younger black folks I know in MA and MD have absolutely never heard of them. In Missouri popular artist based on their radio playlists via FMQB are NBA Youngboy and Yella Beezy)

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-15-2019 at 06:38 AM..

Old 10-15-2019, 06:46 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
You could also add:

Native American Reservations
Charleston
Savannah
"Down East" north carolina (see "Hoi Toiders")
Parts of Appalachia
The regional dialect of Pittsburgh
Alaska
Hawaii

I'm certain there are many more
so many more-dont entertain this guy

Old 10-15-2019, 08:09 AM

657 posts, read 801,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiloponeums View Post
The Us is not that diverse.

While we have tons of diversity in big cities like NYC or LA, outside of our major metropolitan areas we hardly have any real diversity.

Ive driven from Miami to NYC and in Miami you can tell its diverse.

As soon as you get out of Miami, its all a red white and blue overdose pretty much until you hit DC where you find diversity, and then onto NYC.

Between Miami and DC is pretty much American style people, American chain restaurants, American suburbs, American looking people wearing American looking clothes, you might find Spanish here and there but English is all over.

Try in Europe, I can drive one hour north of Brussels (where people speak FRench, are catholic, and has tons of muslims, congolese, chinese, indians, people from all over Europe etc) and end up in the netherlands, where people speak Dutch, you have tons of Indonesians and people are protestant.

Not only that, within the span of an hour, the architecture in Europe changes, the style of the people changes, the religion, language, foods change.

Within the span 14 hours in the US everything looks and feels the same, I had to ask a cashier at a burger join right of the highway, which state I was in because I wasnt sure I was in Maryland or Virginia, I didnt even know I had cross state lines. That is how homogeneous the US is.
Such an unfair comparison. Europe is a collection of countries, most of which have been independent kingdoms for thousands of years, of course it’d more diverse than one united country that has only been around for 400 years, and has largely been settled by the same people speaking the same language. A more fair comparison with the US would be somewhere like Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.