U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 05:09 PM

2,653 posts, read 811,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Not just the U.S. but all of North America. Canadians and Americans don't have significant differences in culture (and the differences that are exaggerated are a result of nationalism and political differences).
That is true of British Canada to a large extent

But Mexico is in North America and it is obviously much different from the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 06:25 PM

637 posts, read 595,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Sports teams don't mean anything to me because tons of people just bandwagon whatever team is doing best. I know a ton of New Yorkers who hate the Knicks and follow Lebron.

If you're going to say that architectural differences account for culture, well, that varies within cities too. A large chunk of NYC is suburban with detached 1 family houses and filled with people who drive everywhere.
Tbf, he said sport preferences. I think college football is more of a thing in the South than it is in New England.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:37 PM

7,490 posts, read 6,525,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Tbf, he said sport preferences. I think college football is more of a thing in the South than it is in New England.
I don't know what constitutes "New England" but there are only two college teams up there in Division 1 (UCONN, BC) and then Syracuse and Army in upstate NY. Not a lot to get excited about. With all the pro interest in that area I'm surprised these teams draw as well as they do.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:54 PM

1,083 posts, read 481,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
The biggest difference is between rural and urban, regardless of region.
Yes, agreed 100%. That is the single most significant difference. There are obviously other things that matter as well (including regional differences) but in the continental US at least the urban/rural distinction is the one that matters most.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:03 PM

5,991 posts, read 6,516,515 times
Some of it has to do with the number of people who are moving between regions of the country for their jobs, people don’t stay in the same areas their entire lives like they did 100 years ago. Another factor is the TV shows that have been shown on network TV from coast to coast which had an effect on the culture and many times lacking in any discernible regional accent because many of the actors were Canadian.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:08 PM

47,103 posts, read 37,926,209 times
Oh just stop it.

There ARE cultural differences, but there are also cultural similarities. I've traveled all over the US and I always feel comfortable, but I also relish the differences. Sometimes they are subtle but sometimes they are in my face, and I like them either way. Otherwise I'd just stay home - and I have no intention of doing so.

I was a corporate trainer for many years and I always enjoyed both the similarities and the differences of places I would go work for a few days or a week or so.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:54 PM

652 posts, read 174,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh just stop it.

There ARE cultural differences, but there are also cultural similarities. I've traveled all over the US and I always feel comfortable, but I also relish the differences. Sometimes they are subtle but sometimes they are in my face, and I like them either way. Otherwise I'd just stay home - and I have no intention of doing so.

I was a corporate trainer for many years and I always enjoyed both the similarities and the differences of places I would go work for a few days or a week or so.
I agree, there are definite differences in US regions. Southern rural is not the same as Western rural, just as NYC is vastly different from Chicago and Los Angeles. There are noticeable regional accents, cuisine, slang, and even culture. I don't expect to find life in the California desert the same as life here in the Triad area of North Carolina.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I agree, there are definite differences in US regions. Southern rural is not the same as Western rural, just as NYC is vastly different from Chicago and Los Angeles. There are noticeable regional accents, cuisine, slang, and even culture. I don't expect to find life in the California desert the same as life here in the Triad area of North Carolina.
How do NYC, LA, and Chicago vary in slang and cuisine? Even the accents aren't much different anymore

Old 10-11-2019, 08:36 PM

528 posts, read 208,633 times
I think the country is becoming ever-less regionally divided, but it still certainly exists, and there are still some serious strengths to some differences.

Yes, the divide is stronger along urban/suburban/rural, class, race, politics, etc., but regions still weigh into this.

I will never forget when my friend who moved to Texas and I were both back in our hometown in Upstate NY and we met up. She commented on some of the slang I picked up here in Philly, and I too on her Texas slang. I even think she has a bit of an accent now. We were both shocked by how different the other sounded since having moved. She is working in a similar sized town in Texas as to where we grew up (very small), but the values, politics, habits etc. of the people there are just so much different.

Heck, when I go down to coastal North Carolina, not all too far from Philadelphia, there is a really strong accent. And yes, the "culture" is different than anywhere in PA/NJ too.

Yes, I agree these differences are waning, but they are not gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Not just the U.S. but all of North America. Canadians and Americans don't have significant differences in culture (and the differences that are exaggerated are a result of nationalism and political differences).
Not Quebec. I just visited a couple of weeks ago, and it feels worlds apart in many ways.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I think the country is becoming ever-less regionally divided, but it still certainly exists, and there are still some serious strengths to some differences.

Yes, the divide is stronger along urban/suburban/rural, class, race, politics, etc., but regions still weigh into this.

I will never forget when my friend who moved to Texas and I were both back in our hometown in Upstate NY and we met up. She commented on some of the slang I picked up here in Philly, and I too on her Texas slang. I even think she has a bit of an accent now. We were both shocked by how different the other sounded since having moved. She is working in a similar sized town in Texas as to where we grew up (very small), but the values, politics, habits etc. of the people there are just so much different.

Heck, when I go down to coastal North Carolina, not all too far from Philadelphia, there is a really strong accent. And yes, the "culture" is different than anywhere in PA/NJ too.

Yes, I agree these differences are waning, but they are not gone.

Not Quebec. I just visited a couple of weeks ago, and it feels worlds apart in many ways.
How long ago was this story? I rarely hear different slang when I meet people from out of state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or