Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2019, 03:24 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,665 times

Advertisements

I actually tend to disagree. Take the cities of Seattle, New York City, Miami, New Orleans, and Denver. They each have a very different and complete feel from one another. Heck Miami vs Seattle, you feel like you are in to different countries when comparing each.

However, I do think that America culture as a whole is not "deep". By that I mean, with Mexico, they have a very distinct culture and very distinct food, not really found anywhere else in the world on that scale. Or Japan for example.

I would say that as a whole US culture is not as distinct, but from within it's more varied if that makes any sense. As to opposed to other countries that have a very distinct culture as a whole, but within, it's not as varied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 03:42 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,591,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I actually tend to disagree. Take the cities of Seattle, New York City, Miami, New Orleans, and Denver. They each have a very different and complete feel from one another. Heck Miami vs Seattle, you feel like you are in to different countries when comparing each.

However, I do think that America culture as a whole is not "deep". By that I mean, with Mexico, they have a very distinct culture and very distinct food, not really found anywhere else in the world on that scale. Or Japan for example.

I would say that as a whole US culture is not as distinct, but from within it's more varied if that makes any sense. As to opposed to other countries that have a very distinct culture as a whole, but within, it's not as varied.
Those cities all have their own vibes, but none really deviate from mainstream American culture in terms of what kind of clothing or pop culture is popular. And when you account for racial differences, the accents aren't much different either.

And even Mexico's distinct culture may be waning, the younger generation seems to listen to reggaeton more than banda or the other distinctly Mexican genres.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:42 PM

119 posts, read 139,240 times
Say that to people from California, Texas, NYC, South Florida, Hawaii, Chicago, and Utah...

Old 10-16-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
Say that to people from California, Texas, NYC, South Florida, Hawaii, Chicago, and Utah...
I am from NYC. Aside from being way more urban than usual, it doesn't deviate much from mainstream America.

Every big city in the US is pretty diverse, so even that is not a uniquely NYC thing.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:56 AM

631 posts, read 1,092,918 times
I've always said that 90% of the country is pretty much the same, as far as what you've mentioned. Nothing really surprising here.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:56 AM

381 posts, read 348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Cities can still have different vibes, but how much different are the people really?
I'm from Chicago and I am Mexican(Chicano). My motorcycle buddy is Korean.

When we pull up to certain cities there is definitely some staring. They know we aren't from around there.

Some cities are definitely different culturally.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post

When we pull up to certain cities there is definitely some staring. They know we aren't from around there.

I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless I had a conversation with you.

I was talking to a bartender from Chicago here and I absolutely think she could have passed as a native New Yorker.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:11 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,710,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Don't their kids assimilate into black Baltimore culture?
not really. Mostly they are in the process of creating their own urban Latino culture. The main ones into black culture are really just hanging out in the street with young black drug dealers and they deal drugs. Just yesterday day walking down an alley to my house i walked by a bunch of young hispanic guys in their mid 20s -no black ppl around-and they were all speaking Spanish. I see little kids of different races palying together.But the small Hispanic population of Baltimore lives in areas that are heavily Hispanic and seem to create their own culture, they definitely dont assimilate int black Baltimore culture in general-and certainly not the adult culture. I dont think ive ever seen a black adult in Baltimore and Hispanic adult in Baltimore be friendly-not tin the year ive been here. Most of my black neighbors constantly blame the Hispanics for trash and rodent problems and call them all 'Mexicans' even though there usually not mexican and try to make that known. They talk about hispanics real bad. Which was a culture shock to me coming from Boston.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:12 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,710,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post

I dont even know what Chicano actually means. I learned what Tejano is but idk what Chicano is althoguh i know it is a thing in places where there are mexicans...

Old 10-18-2019, 11:48 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
We seem to be mostly talking about cities, To find deeper cultural differences one has to get outside of the major cities, suburbs, and population centers where sameness is imposed by corporate brands and the common media. Corporations call those places markets and they work to keep the residents (AKA customers) in line with their media and product offerings. That can be all types of fast food outlets where people eat mostly the same thing, or the same big box stores, Walgreens and CVS on street corners, Wal-Mart, or Costco. We even have big-box churches where 10,000 people or more show up for Sunday services. We tend to do things the same when that is what is offered and other people are doing the same thing. That is mostly what we see out of the car windshield or walking down the city street. A lot of what we see is superficial.

Within cities there are more or less defined ethnic or racial enclaves where one will find cultural differences in an urban setting and sometimes those influences are strong enough to make a city seem slightly different. Miami is one example. Maybe the Asian influence in Seattle is an example or the Chinese influence in San Francisco. History plays a part in places like New Orleans, Santa Fe/Albuquerque, Charleston, or parts of New England.

I lived 35 years in a Midwestern town that grew from around 35k to 50k. It was small enough at first that many of the people were somehow related. As an example, my secretary and I were 1st cousins once removed to the same people but we were not related. Pizza Hut and McDonalds were already there but once it hit that 50k population benchmark it was inundated with Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Lowes, Home Depot, Barnes & Noble, Applebees, Chiles, and a dozen or more other major commercial outlets. The local neighborhood restaurants or stores withered away in many cases. The transition to the superficial corporate culture was well on its way when I moved away. The German-Catholic-Farmer-Good0ldBoy-Riverboat culture was still there but it was no longer as apparent. You had to look for it behind the corporate façade that smacked you in the face. You were still expected to stop and pull over when a funeral passed by. Horse breeding, country ham, the county fair, high school football, and holiday parades down High Street were still a "thing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.